1080p 24inch to 27 inch 2 k monitor is there much change in detail for gaming?

Associate
Currently got a 1080 p 24 inch Asus i am on the edge of buying a 27 inch 2k monitor for playing star Citizen.

If i go to a 27 inch 2k is it not going to look similar due to stretching the more pixels you get from 2 k and in reality not getting a more detailed graphic looking game.

I really want it to look the best it can for my set up 980 ti I7 or would like 27 inch but not sure if the card will give me the detail and nice fps or do i stay at 24 inch but go 2 k i am really confused what to do.

Cheers Hope this makes sense.

Associate
No it does stretch out anything it gives more pixels per square inch. I have a 60 hz 1440p monitor that I love but trying to "gift" to my wife so I can get either the Asus Rog PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU. Yes, 1440p is the sweet spot for gaming right now.

Soldato
You probably want a monitor to be around 100 ppi. So whether it's 20", or 34" then aim for that. Bigger screen means you want higher resolution.

If you get a 4K monitor, which is pretty small then just wasting GPU power when you won't see it.

Associate
OP
No it does stretch out anything it gives more pixels per square inch. I have a 60 hz 1440p monitor that I love but trying to "gift" to my wife so I can get either the Asus Rog PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU. Yes, 1440p is the sweet spot for gaming right now.

Ok thanks for the info just reading about the XB271HU looks similar to the PG279Q but a 144 mhz more than enough for me.

Associate
OP
You probably want a monitor to be around 100 ppi. So whether it's 20", or 34" then aim for that. Bigger screen means you want higher resolution.

If you get a 4K monitor, which is pretty small then just wasting GPU power when you won't see it.

Thanks for the feedback So 4k is for bigger than 34 " then i am happy with 27 so will stay with that.

Soldato
There's a big difference in image sharpness between a 24" 1080P monitor and a 27" 1440P (not 2K) monitor.

2560x1440 isn't 2K. Also take no notice of people saying you won't be able to see the additional detail of a UHD monitor. If you had a UHD monitor at 27" you'd see quite a difference in detail again as long as you aren't visually impaired.

Associate
OP
There's a big difference in image sharpness between a 24" 1080P monitor and a 27" 1440P (not 2K) monitor.

2560x1440 isn't 2K. Also take no notice of people saying you won't be able to see the additional detail of a UHD monitor. If you had a UHD monitor at 27" you'd see quite a difference in detail again as long as you aren't visually impaired.

oooooh nooo dont confuse me more lol i was under the impression 1440p was 2k, right i have taken on board the UHD information you have given thank you.

Soldato
one example https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...g-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-14a-lg.html

I couldnt tell you if it was a decent monitor or not.

Bear in mind at that resolution your pushing four times as many pixels as 1920x1080. It's much more taxing and you'll probably find your 980ti struggling with a lot of modern games. it's really 1080ti territory.

imo 2560x1440 is the sweetspot at 27". Also I think 3840x2560 at 27" makes windows desktop too small, which means you have to use windows scaling and trust me you'll want to avoid that at all costs....

Theres always 3440x1440 ultrawide to consider though, it's a nice fit for the 980ti and 21:9 is great.....

Associate
OP
one example https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...g-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-14a-lg.html

I couldnt tell you if it was a decent monitor or not.

Bear in mind at that resolution your pushing four times as many pixels as 1920x1080. It's much more taxing and you'll probably find your 980ti struggling with a lot of modern games. it's really 1080ti territory.

imo 2560x1440 is the sweetspot at 27". Also I think 3840x2560 at 27" makes windows desktop too small, which means you have to use windows scaling and trust me you'll want to avoid that at all costs....

Theres always 3440x1440 ultrawide to consider though, it's a nice fit for the 980ti and 21:9 is great.....

Thanks for the info not looked at ultra wide at all so need to do a bit of research on that and finally decide what to do then, so many decisions to pick i do want star citizen to look its best:)

Soldato
Currently got a 1080 p 24 inch Asus i am on the edge of buying a 27 inch 2k monitor for playing star Citizen.

Don't. At 1080p on a 27" monitor the individual pixels will be really visible. The standard for 2160p is 28". Get yourself a GSync monitor and you'll do fine as long as you realise that you may have to wait until Volta to get the very best quality.

Also I think 3840x2560 at 27" makes windows desktop too small, which means you have to use windows scaling and trust me you'll want to avoid that at all costs....

That's rubbish clearly written by someone who doesn't use it.

Associate
OP
Don't. At 1080p on a 27" monitor the individual pixels will be really visible. The standard for 2160p is 28". Get yourself a GSync monitor and you'll do fine as long as you realise that you may have to wait until Volta to get the very best quality.

May i ask what is volta ?

Soldato
Quartz said:
clubb699 said:
Don't. At 1080p on a 27" monitor the individual pixels will be really visible.

He wasn't going to, he said 2k and later clarified he meant 2560x1440.

The standard for 2160p is 28". Get yourself a GSync monitor and you'll do fine as long as you realise that you may have to wait until Volta to get the very best quality.

I wish people would stop using the 'P' prefix altogether. It was originally used to differentiate between interlaced and progressive signals - it doesnt need to to be mentioned when talking about display resolutions and actually all it does is confuse people. and that goes for 'k', too. That's possible worse, actually.

That's your opinion and dont use what? a 27" 3840x2160 panel or scaling? If it's the former then no i dont actively use it - tried it didn't work for me, desktop too small without windows scaling. i've used a wide variety of displays with different resolutions and sizes and my current favourite is the 34" 3440x1440 UW. The DPI is just about right and the screen is big enough without having to crane your neck when looking from one side to the other. I guess you could include the display on the surface pro 4 in there as I that's what i do most of my work on.

if it's the later then sorry, i absolutely have to use windows scaling on the surface pro and it causes all sorts of problems especially if your using multiple displays with different DPIs. windows scaling, even in windows 10 which is better than 8, is just crap. I shouldnt have to use regedit to disable scaling on a per app basis just to get them to display without looking like a fuzzy mess and this isnt third party software im talking about - even MS office is a mess.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP or anybody else wondering: avoid using the term '2K', because it is lazy and often used incorrectly by people who fail at maths. And manufacturers who spread this incorrect rubbish. There was no such things as '2K' as a term before '4K' came along. The 'K' refers to a slightly rounded up version of the horizontal component of resolution:

- 3840 x 2160 is generally referred to as '4K' (or more correctly UHD) because 3840 is close to '4K'.
- 1920 x 1080 has half the horizontal (and vertical) resolution components, so by the logic used above for '4K' this is actually '2K'.
-
2560 x 1440 should be referred to as '2.5K' if anything, although it is commonly (misleadingly) referred to as '2K'.

And yes, as James Miller said above, the use of 'P' is entirely redundant. It is something that should really have been confined to old TVs, certainly not used to describe a monitor only resolution of 2560 x 1440. '1440p' indeed ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
That's your opinion and dont use what? a 27" 3840x2160 panel or scaling? If it's the former then no i dont actively use it - tried it didn't work for me, desktop too small without windows scaling.

Then I suggest you learn from someone who does. I use a 28" 4K monitor and a 24" 4K monitor and scaling works just fine on both. I have the 28" monitor set to 150% scaling and the 24" monitor set to 175%. I went 4K for the improved visual experience; gaming is a side benefit.

Soldato
If it was just fine, Microsoft wouldnt be trying to fix it.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...ndows-10-creators-update/#U4sUYKl4qPVe1VCh.97

In the previous blog post about High-dots-per-inch (DPI) scaling improvements, we talk about how desktop applications can be blurry or sized incorrectly when run on high-DPI displays. This is especially noticeable when docking and undocking or when using remoting technologies such as Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).

In the Windows 10 Anniversary Update we chipped away at this problem by introducing mixed-mode DPI scaling and other high-DPI-related APIs. These APIs made it less expensive for developers to update desktop applications to handle dynamic DPI situations (situations where desktop applications are expected to detect and respond to DPI changes at runtime). We’re still working on improving the high-DPI story for you and in this article we’ll go over some of the improvements coming in the Windows 10 Creators Update. Before we dive into that, here’s a quick recap of the issue:
kiUtO5W.jpg

The image above illustrates the types of issues you’ll see in Windows 10 when using multiple displays with different DPI values. In this case a low-DPI primary (“main”) display docked to a high-DPI external display.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't doubt that some applications have problems. However, I am running Windows 10 AU, not CU, and am not having problems with the applications I use.

Back
Top Bottom