1080p scaling a 1440p Panel really that bad?

Soldato
If this has been asked before, apologies

So been looking at picking up the AOC 31.5" Freesync screen over the last few days but did some research and found the quality that a 1440 panel reproduces 1080 resolution in can be less than acceptable because of the way it creates the HD image

Not too worried from the PC's point of view but I have a PS4 and Wii-U also connected to the same screen that myself and the kids use and don't want to ruin the experience on those.

Been told that 4K recreates 1080p perfectly and would do a good job of 1440 as well???? so confuzzled!

Is it all really that bad?

Any help would be great as don't want to get overspend on a 4K panel I do not really have the power to drive unless I upgrade my GPU and then scale down on everything unless I really have to

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I recently got a 27" QHD display and was worried that 1080p would looks really bad. But when i got it and tested at 1080p on the QHD monitor and on my 1080p monitor both looked quite the same, maybe the 1080p monitor looked a tad sharper but honestly looked quite close.
The QHD when playing in QHD though looks quite a lot sharp compared to 1080p on a 27" and blows the 1080p.

Associate
Been told that 4K recreates 1080p perfectly and would do a good job of 1440 as well???? so confuzzled!

Yes, this is because 4k is double the horizontal and vertical resolution, which is very easy to scale - what was 1 pixel becomes a block of 4 pixels instead. With 1440p any any other scaling that's not a direct multiple, the monitor has to do some interpolation which results in a less sharp image.

Some monitors do a better job at this than others, it ranges from awful to just about acceptable.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the extra information and experience,

I am getting close to just putting up with the times I do actually use the PS4 it's slightly degraded, the Biggest improvement I want is the PC

Associate
FWIW I used an Xbox One with a 1440p AOC for a while (Q3279VWF). The scaling wasn't awful but was noticeably softer than on a 1080p monitor. I've since got an Xbox One X which as of April last year supports 1440p natively, no relying on monitor scaling at all, which is perfect, though I now use a AG322QC4 instead.

Back
Top Bottom