• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080p. Stick at 2060, or upgrade?

Associate
So, built new PC in October, because of a lightning strike. Ended up with a 2060 (non-s) and a 3600 because availability was nonexistent. What I wanted was a 5900x and a 6800 level card. Not hugely fussed what - my plan was a machine to last 5 years.

So now I'm debating getting a card in Gibbo's MM voucher thing...or living with 1080p for longer. Or saying that I only spent 600 on the machine,I should rebuild in two years with DDR5.

Either way, the thing actually struggling is my CPU - it's hammered in the games I play.

(Note, I'm already over the MM threshold, this is my uncertainty holding me back. I have 1.5K of the machine budget left. But that could be spent in 2 years on a 4080/7700 etc)

Associate
OP
Are you happy with 1080p gaming and the fps you get ? If the answer is no then you should upgrade.

Will you be getting a new monitor ?
FPS being dragged down by CPU (no, really) to around 15. (Not the games fault, it's a case of the player don't things not intended).

Monitor replacement is intended the moment one of the current screens dies. Been waiting 2 years for this so far.

Associate
OP
It's seems unlikely that you're CPU limited by a 3600.

What game are you playing?
Fortresscraft - similar to Minecraft in many ways. Running a 3 player server + local client, on an extremely large world, with a build that the creator of the game considers insanity. As far as we can tell, we might be the only people to have got as far on this set of settings.

Because it's crazy. And outside sane limits.

But it's the processor that's the problem :D

Associate
So, built new PC in October, because of a lightning strike. Ended up with a 2060 (non-s) and a 3600 because availability was nonexistent. What I wanted was a 5900x and a 6800 level card. Not hugely fussed what - my plan was a machine to last 5 years.

So now I'm debating getting a card in Gibbo's MM voucher thing...or living with 1080p for longer. Or saying that I only spent 600 on the machine,I should rebuild in two years with DDR5.

Either way, the thing actually struggling is my CPU - it's hammered in the games I play.

(Note, I'm already over the MM threshold, this is my uncertainty holding me back. I have 1.5K of the machine budget left. But that could be spent in 2 years on a 4080/7700 etc)

If you intend to move over 1080P you would most certainly need to upgrade as some games can be very demanding on resolution like RDR2 for example it really depends how long you want to stick with 1080P.

As for the processor, yours is kind of on my level and for me it has not caused much of a problem with my 2060 except for really really demanding games and poorly optimized ones like bad console ports. Recently got the 3070 (December 2020) and almost all my content consumed is 1080P so for me not a problem and my monitor is 144Hz with free sync on 1080P resolution but have noticed a huge leap in performance and my processor the 7700k would probably be fine doing some 4K gaming.

Associate
As you rightly point out the 4000/7000 series should be a good upgrade again. If you want a 3000/6000 series before then you could look at the price of the new card and how much you could sell your existing card for, and decide if the cost to upgrade is worth it to you, many people upgrade in this way

Associate
OP
Are you really CPU limited with a 3600? :confused: Is it maxed out?

Minimum requirements for that game are crazy low.
They are low, but we're playing it wrong. Example; Under standard settings, you're supposed to need 1 mine power material, maybe two. So we're taking 12-15 mines. We have around 120. You're supposed to use a handful of elevators to move materials up from underground. We've got 3000 odd conveyor belts instead.

We aren't playing the game as intended, trust me :)

Soldato
Imho for 1080p your pc is more than enough

BUT if you manage to get one card on the deals, you might be able to sell your 2060 for the price you paid your new card = free upgrade :p

Associate
I'd stick with it as it is for 6+months. Everything is crazy now so at best you'll spend £500 more than you really needed to to have the gear 6-12 months sooner. Not worth it IMO, I'm just waiting for everything to settle down before I buy anything more and I'm on a 3600 with a 580RX (but not breaking fortresscraft). Patiently waiting for the 3000 series to be available at a sensible price or the 4000 series to be released, whichever comes first.

Permabanned
If you're getting 15 fps with a 3600, you will get 21-22fps with a 5950x, at "best case" scenario, unless the said game mode is heavily multihreaded

is this said game is multihreaded? are you seeing all threads of 3600 actually being used? if it's a single thread bottleneck, you wont be able to go north of 25 fps with any current cpu

maybe if you go 5.2 ghz 10900k with 5000 mhz ram, you may push that 15 fps to 26-27, but maybe, and that's if the said config in game scales with memory clock

Associate
OP
If you're getting 15 fps with a 3600, you will get 21-22fps with a 5950x, at "best case" scenario, unless the said game mode is heavily multihreaded
It's very thread heavy. There's at least 6 threads, and probably more - game designer has said that it'll benefit from at least 8 cores, likely 10.

Associate
OP

is this said game is multihreaded? are you seeing all threads of 3600 actually being used? if it's a single thread bottleneck, you wont be able to go north of 25 fps with any current cpu

maybe if you go 5.2 ghz 10900k with 5000 mhz ram, you may push that 15 fps to 26-27, but maybe, and that's if the said config in game scales with memory clock
It was easier to finish the game then replace the CPU.

125 days on the race file :)

Back
Top Bottom