• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti Strange artifacts [videos]

Associate
First, the videos. Fallout 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2bmSwQdYs

Witcher 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJeENGhFYp4

It first started in Fallout 4, which was fine for about a week, then I noticed a strange flash or flicker which steadily got worse over time. Godrays seemed to be the issue so I turned them off and it went away. What you see in the video is what it was like with Godrays on at first, now I get that even without them.

I've tried:

Updating drivers
Verifying cache
Cleaning and dusting
Re-seating the card
Disabling mods with textures
The games graphic options
nVidia graphic options
Fresh ini files
Vsync on/off
Limiting frames via Afterburner
Higher fan speed via Afterburner to see if it's heat, (hot or cooler, no change)
Changing resolution
UNDERclocking, (the card was never OC'd)

...nothing stops it. Even ran a virus scan, nothing. So I tried other games. Space Hulk Deathwing freezes with a d3d error, (though no artifacts are seen beforehand, but I never had that error before). Dying Light, Alien Isolation, Kingdoms of Amalur, Metro 2033, DE: HR, and some others all do it too with varying severity, though not as bad as this vid, but they all display flashing white triangles (sometimes stretched triangles) on surfaces.

I also get vertical lines up and down pages and missing pixels on letters viewing places like forums. If I highlight the text it clears it most times. Only thing I haven't tried is re-installing the game. But seeing as it happens in other games too, I have to wonder what use that will be.

Some games do not do this however. Grim Dawn, Subnautica, RAGE and Borderlands seem fine, though I only tested them for a few minutes as the other games it affects are immediate.

I hope someone has an idea as I have exhausted my own.

Associate
OP

Hmm, it may very well come to that. Just wanted to see if there was anything else I could do first. I'll contact OC customer help and see what they say.

Have you tried Running DDU and then re installing drivers?

can download it from here

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

No I haven't tried that. I#ve heard bad things about programs like that and driver sweeper doing more hamr than good. I did what I usually do, uninstall everything nVidia related then run the new drivers and tick the "clean install" option.

Soldato
Hmm, it may very well come to that. Just wanted to see if there was anything else I could do first. I'll contact OC customer help and see what they say.

No I haven't tried that. I#ve heard bad things about programs like that and driver sweeper doing more hamr than good. I did what I usually do, uninstall everything nVidia related then run the new drivers and tick the "clean install" option.

I haven't had any issues using DDU this is purely for removing GPU drivers and nothing else., its handy to use to make sure all parts of a driver are removed before re installing.

I only used DDU as people on here normally suggest it at times but never used driver sweeper.

Other option is to RMA it if you are unsure about trying the above.

Soldato
OK,did you upgrade the drivers?? Have the games updated recently?? FO4 did get an update recently due to the Creation Club. If you mod the game it might be something to do with the mods too.

I remember my old GTX660 with Metro:Last Light had some weirdness too. It was either a game update or a driver update but I got corrupted textures happening on and off. Thought the card was borked,but it never happened with any other game. It then dissapeared after an update,and the card still works to this day.

So I would probably,try and fully remove the driver and then perhaps install an older driver set to see if the same thing happens. Also if you have mods,try a new game with all mods disabled and see if the same things happen!!

Associate
OP
OK,did you upgrade the drivers?? Have the games updated recently?? FO4 did get an update recently due to the Creation Club. If you mod the game it might be something to do with the mods too.

I remember my old GTX660 with Metro:Last Light had some weirdness too. It was either a game update or a driver update but I got corrupted textures happening on and off. Thought the card was borked,but it never happened with any other game. It then dissapeared after an update,and the card still works to this day.

So I would probably,try and fully remove the driver and then perhaps install an older driver set to see if the same thing happens. Also if you have mods,try a new game with all mods disabled and see if the same things happen!!

Yes, I upgraded the drivers.

Funnily enough I've been keeping Steam offline to prevent it from installing the FO4 Creation Club while I had this game going as I didn't want to be bothered by it. And I've tried a new game with no mods.

But that's the weird thing, it went from working perfectly, then without changing/updating/fiddling/poking anything, this starts out of the blue, and it affects more than one game. If it was the older driver, (which is fairly new, this is a newish machine, had it 3-4 months) why has it only started now. I've been right through Witcher 3 with no issues.

Soldato
Yes, I upgraded the drivers.

Funnily enough I've been keeping Steam offline to prevent it from installing the FO4 Creation Club while I had this game going as I didn't want to be bothered by it. And I've tried a new game with no mods.

But that's the weird thing, it went from working perfectly, then without changing/updating/fiddling/poking anything, this starts out of the blue, and it affects more than one game. If it was the older driver, (which is fairly new, this is a newish machine, had it 3-4 months) why has it only started now. I've been right through Witcher 3 with no issues.

Are there any overclocks applied to the system - run everything at stock too. Its worth doing even if the card has a problem since you can present your evidence when sending it back if you cannot solve the problem.

Associate
OP
Are there any overclocks applied to the system - run everything at stock too. Its worth doing even if the card has a problem since you can present your evidence when sending it back if you cannot solve the problem.

No, I've applied no overclocks it's not something I like doing. Nothing I run demands it, and I thought there was no need being what the card is.

Run furmark, if that artifacts it's fudged.

Hmmm, well now this is strange. I downloaded the program and let it run for 7 minutes, no artifacts whatsoever. Here is a pic:

https://i.imgur.com/zppitT8.jpg

Well that gives me some hope. So I loaded up FO4 and the artifacts started again. Right away quit and loaded up FurMark, no artifacts. I cannot figure out what it is, I'll try DDU to wipe drivers and if that doesn't work I'll try reinstalling the game.

I'm still getting missing pixels on letters though.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I've applied no overclocks it's not something I like doing. Nothing I run demands it, and I thought there was no need being what the card is.

Hmmm, well now this is strange. I downloaded the program and let it run for 7 minutes, no artifacts whatsoever. Here is a pic:

https://i.imgur.com/zppitT8l.jpg

Well that gives me some hope. So I loaded up FO4 and the artifacts started again. Right away quit and loaded up FurMark, no artifacts. I cannot figure out what it is, I'll try DDU to wipe drivers and if that doesn't work I'll try reinstalling the game.

I'm still getting missing pixels on letters though.

Thats cool,was wondering if the CPU was overclocked in some way as FO4 really pushes one or two threads very heavily(when compared to the others).

It might be worth re-installing the game??

However,a word of warning. Back up the saves - if you load up a new game with a save from one with mods it can screw the file up sometimes as some mods can do this. So,start a new game from fresh and don't use an old save with mods disabled.

Caporegime
Have you tried putting it in high performance mode/max performance mode in the nvidia control panel? Just wondering if it is having issues at lower clocks/voltages or something.

Associate
OP
Have you tried putting it in high performance mode/max performance mode in the nvidia control panel? Just wondering if it is having issues at lower clocks/voltages or something.

I have yeah. It's one of the things I tried trying to solve it, along with disabling AA which was something google found somewhere. I've actually been through all options in the control panel.

The PC itself is also kept in high performance in the power plan.

Back
Top Bottom