1080Ti thermal paste upgrade?

Associate
Hi all! I currently have a Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Core, no manual OC added to the factory clocks. I have a fan curve set which by 60*c the fans are at 100% to keep things cooler. My card idles at around 25-28*c and max temp under stress testing and prolonged 100% hits a max of 65-70*c.

My question is, would it be worth upgrading the thermal paste to say Thermal Grizzly Krayonaut? Has anybody tried it?

Edit: Also, would this effect my warrenty?

Last edited:
Soldato
It really depends on the card /cooler quality /settings.

I replaced the stock Tim on my red devil 480 with kryonought , as it was hitting 80c at times... It made no discernable difference at all, no better, no worse.
I did raise a ticket with Powercolor as I thought 80c was a bit on the hot side, but they said it's fine.

No Idea with a 1080, YMMV. 70c isn't that hot for a GPU when stress testing imo.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies guys. I went ahead on the weekend a took the cooler off, only 5 screws. Cleaned all the factory paste off and applied some Krayonaut. It seemed of dropped my temps quite a lot tbh. After running Kombuster for 10 mins and then 2 courses of 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra Stress Test x20 loop, I see a max temp of 60*c. So I have lost around 5-10*c I guess average depending on ambient temp, no bad for 30 mins work!

Soldato
Might be just your room / ambient temperature, for example the room is 5-10c cooler your card will be around that as well. But fan at 100% depends on what the fan RPM is. For example 1500rpm not loud, 3000rpm very loud. But 60-70c is fine no problem at all. Also not surprised that using Kryonought has some effect but 5-10c is very good if correct.

Soldato
Nice result, a lot depends I guess on the quality of the OEM Tim.. It made no difference for me, but I guess some card resellers might use cheap stuff. Also bear in mind ambient temperature is warm at the moment.

Good result anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
For many years I've been replacing paste on Nvidia cards. I use IC Diamond (still amazing paste) and normally it will reduce temps by 5c or more.

Back
Top Bottom