10850k won’t overclock. Temps too high D15

Associate
So I make this short and sweet. I have an MSI z490 Tomohawk, D15 air cooler, 32gb Corsair 3600 ram, 10850k all wrapped up in the lovely Meshify S2.

I am new to overclocking but my temp in prime95, no atx, on stock 4.8 are 98c. I tried realbench and got 85-90c after 15 minutes.

Overclock: 5ghz
LLC set at 2
Voltage 1.25-1.35 volt. Prime95 (no atx) just maxed temps INSTANTLY and system would hang.

realbech would run but at 5ghz on auto voltage temps hit 100c instantly. I haven’t tried 4.9 with lower voltage because I don’t see any point in 4.9 all core to a 4.8 all core stock.

I did turn turbo from auto to disabled after stock benchmark and it made little difference. Tried fixing cpu ratio and this didn’t help either. I think I got a chip that was straight up garbage to begin with. I will try new paste, noctuas best offer, just to check I seated it right. Not really sure what else I can do as the voltage offsets and LLC settings are a bit beyond my ability. I don’t want to fry the cpu and this OC attempt was more for fun.

Stock my voltage under load is 1.26-1.28v either these chips cannot do air or this was just a lottery fail!

Anyone use the msi z490 tomohawk? Any tips? Got my amd 8350 to 4.5ghz stable on prime for 8 hours. That lasted me till now and this chip kicks ass out of my last rig! Those red 100c numbers in HWM have made me nervous but just wondered if I have missed something.

Down bolted to booted at 1.25 volt so that was my base test using Intel XTU. I am new to this again so go easy on me!

have you definitely removed the clear sticker that comes on the base of the heatsink when installing, on my sons he has the dark rock pro 4 pro at 5Ghz all core never exceeds 80 degrees on his 10850K

The Noctua D15 comes with a plastic cover much like a cpu box.

Temps on cores range from 69c to 75c. Core 8 runs cool. All others are 71-75c and one core hits 78 on stock Intel XTU.

Purchased Noctua best thermal past (only 3.5 gram tube I could find ANYWHERE!). Will reseat the cooled when it arrives. Stable under a 15 minute run of realbench with a -2 atx offset and 1.35 volts at 50ghz for about 10 minutes then pooped it self. Blue screen error with no hard lock. Ran the windows diagnostic and then reset. I could up the voltage with better cooler but this Noctua isn’t cutting it. I did a this spread but maybe to thin. Might try the pea size blob instead. Never really found what was best but never like to much and it oozing out the side.

Real Bench
Stock settings Enhanced Turbo off.
4.8ghz
Package 80c
Core 0: 76c
Core1: 74c
Core2: 79c
Core3: 76c
Core4: 78c
Core5: 78c
Core6: 77c
Core7: 78c
Core8: 73c
Core9: 77c

cpu vcore 1.306 on auto
IO 1.196 auto
SA1.274 auto.

I cannot get it to post on 5ghz with less the 1.35volts if I try setting the voltage manually.

I think it’s just running hot so a real Dude. I mean those temps on stock are awful. Atx workload even on stock would kill the cpu. I am hoping it’s insufficient paste but if it isn’t... I was screwed hard.
First intel chip and first new chip in 10 years. Really happy with the boost but gutted I cannot even hit 5.0

I know others have found the same issue.

Anyone else using a z490 Tomahawk that can give me some pointers with settings?

have you definitely removed the clear sticker that comes on the base of the heatsink when installing, on my sons he has the dark rock pro 4 pro at 5Ghz all core never exceeds 80 degrees on his 10850K

Will check everything when repaste. That 80 stable temp is using which stress test software? Prine95 with atx off is just crazy. Versions 26.6 is not much better. 90c and up on all cores using prime95 ver:26.6. Highest was 98 so I turned it off and went back to stock.

So I changed LLC from 2 to 3 and now the core voltage set at 1.27 drops to 1.26 under load and I am not getting blue screen and temps are at 87c max on package. Still to hot at 4.9ghz but MUCH better. This is with no atx offset. I might try LLC 4 to so if this further lowers temps without causing instability.

I can get to 5.2ghz, but no way I would run prime or cinebench, just too hot. Cpu-z bench ok, games fine at around 75c max.
Torture testing the 10850K at high voltages is a dangerous game!

I now understand the issues with Turbo. I have turned it off completely in MSI bios. Enhance was auto and Turbo was auto. I turned off turbo which turns Enhanced turbo off by default. Set LLC to 3 giving a 0.01v droop under load (if I understand vdroop correctly). At LLC 3 and 1.26 vcore I am hitting 88c max and stable on a 15 minute realbench run testing 16gb or 32gb of ram. Not clocked the ram using xmp yes but will see.

For those with MSI boards and struggling with temps, set LLC to 3 and possible even 4. I will be testing 4 next to see if this is still stable.
Sorry for the running commentary but I hope this may help some else in the future.

BSOD on LLC 3 - vcore 1.26 - 4.9ghz
LLC 3 - ATX offset -2 - vcore 1.265 - 4.9 ghz

all the above failed... scratching my head here because on stock my voltage and temps all go up but it’s stable with xmp.

Stock 4.8ghz
Vcore 1.292 max
Max temp of package and 2 cores was 91c!
WTF!
Should I disable enhanced turbo in MSI bios even in stock?!
I am starting to think this is a dud... I could probably lower voltage for stock and find a stable minimum and then try for 4.9 all core again but for 100hz what’s the point...

This chip cannot handle it on air.
It could be my old gtx1060 causing the Gauls though.... can I turn of the GFX stress on Realbench? Will that degrade the test? It’s an old card but operating within temps at 71c. Makes a cricket noise at 65c plus....

Went to default in the end and turned off enhanced turbo and got 10 points on multi thread in CPUZ bench and the same 576 in single core. I got a drop of 2c across all cores and the package. All that heat for NOTHING... ????

I am still seeing 1.282v on vcore at stock. That cannot be needed... Surely?!

Last edited:
BSOD on LLC 3 - vcore 1.26 - 4.9ghz
LLC 3 - ATX offset -2 - vcore 1.265 - 4.9 ghz

all the above failed... scratching my head here because on stock my voltage and temps all go up but it’s stable with xmp.

Stock 4.8ghz
Vcore 1.292 max
Max temp of package and 2 cores was 91c!
WTF!
Should I disable enhanced turbo in MSI bios even in stock?!
I am starting to think this is a dud... I could probably lower voltage for stock and find a stable minimum and then try for 4.9 all core again but for 100hz what’s the point...

This chip cannot handle it on air.
It could be my old gtx1060 causing the Gauls though.... can I turn of the GFX stress on Realbench? Will that degrade the test? It’s an old card but operating within temps at 71c. Makes a cricket noise at 65c plus....

Went to default in the end and turned off enhanced turbo and got 10 points on multi thread in CPUZ bench and the same 576 in single core. I got a drop of 2c across all cores and the package. All that heat for NOTHING... ????

I am still seeing 1.282v on vcore at stock. That cannot be needed... Surely?!
Morning! Yes on turbo 50,51,52,53/or turbo offset +2 with vcore on auto I have seen 1.470v!! Way too high. But same settings stable with vcore set at 1.30v. For 5.2ghz fixed all core I need 1.370v, all other settings at auto, although I found disabling XMP and increasing RAM voltage to 1.40v helped for some reason.
This MSI Unify/10850K rig is far more temperamental than my previous Asus Hero/Skylake set up! Good luck.

I just cannot get it stable with the ram at 3600 xmp. Gonna tinker a bit more today and see about under volting on air. It’s of course not an issue but I also want to find that base line. MCE or Turbo is off as all it does is add heat. 2c stock.

I am thinking of trying vcore 1.27 with an offset of -1. What I have been reading is that the auto voltage on VID is way to high. I am seeing 1.35 and even 1.378 volts on the VID under load! It’s higher than the vcore on auto. That just doesn’t make sense to me as a noob.

I just cannot get it stable with the ram at 3600 xmp.
My RAM is LPX 3600 C18, so XMP off I can hit 4000mhz at 1.50v, 3866 at 1.450v and 3600 at 1.40v... all stable after a couple of Memtest runs.
In cpu-z check RAM sticks are same manufacturer, mine are Micron and Samsung which I think causes XMP problems.

The idle temps are 30c on air. Will reseat but certain it’s not poorly seated anyway. Ambient is 20c.

I was poking it with a stick but until voltages are at a real base/stock it’s pointless. The vcore was jumping to 1.31 volts on stock everything auto. I just dropped vcore to 1.25 and it’s sable on 4.8ghz.... the MSI z490 tomohawk is grossly over volting this cpu. My highest voltages on auto for IO = 1.196 and SA = 1.278.

Now I don’t really understand these voltages but I THHINK they affect VID. VID is 1.254 almost 100% under Realbench stress and testing 16gb of ram at 3600xmp.

I cannot blow up my cpu by lowing the voltage so I am going to try and get these temps right down with lower voltages and I can the bump back up slowly once I triple check the paste. I did a thin spread like paper thin and so I should have 100% coverage of the cpu.

if I get these voltages down I will be happier as the temps will follow. Even at stock this thing is way to hot.

You're gonna have cooling challenges with a D15. VID is not relevant.

You need to run a lower set voltage. Not sure if MSI exposed VR VOUT sensors in HWINFO but that's your best chance of finding real voltage under load.

Your main issue is too much voltage for the cooling you have. IO/SA won't really add anything notable to heat budget. It's all about vcore.

Thanks. I am down to 1.240vcore and 4.8ghz ratio. Everything else is stock with Enhanced Turbo off. Temps are 3c lower on the package and cores or all 85c max under a Realbench stress. Set SA and IO to stock to see what happens and was unstable. Thought it would be as auto is 1.196 IO and 1.278 SA. I set them to stock at 0.950 IO and 1.050 SA. Booted but programs and bitsefender failed to start and gave a warning. All back to default/auto now.

I see people running 50ghz on air and I just don’t know how!!!

Will XMP cause this much heat? I am wonder if the board is an issue. Read someone else RMA 2 z490 tomohawk and then got an ASUS and had no problems.

Thanks. I am down to 1.240vcore and 4.8ghz ratio. Everything else is stock with Enhanced Turbo off. Temps are 3c lower on the package and cores or all 85c max under a Realbench stress. Set SA and IO to stock to see what happens and was unstable. Thought it would be as auto is 1.196 IO and 1.278 SA. I set them to stock at 0.950 IO and 1.050 SA. Booted but programs and bitsefender failed to start and gave a warning. All back to default/auto now.

I see people running 50ghz on air and I just don’t know how!!!

Will XMP cause this much heat? I am wonder if the board is an issue. Read someone else RMA 2 z490 tomohawk and then got an ASUS and had no problems.

All your heat will come from your cpu. You can crank up io/sa without much concern.

1.24 with what level of llc? You can disable Hyperthreading. If you're mainly gaming, there's no real benefit. Plus it'll save your about 10-15c of temp.

Back
Top Bottom