10Gbe over Cat5e?

Soldato
This thread is 8 months old, update at bottom.

--------------------

There seems to be a LOT of conflicting information on the net about this, Google results vary from "can't be done" to "fine up to 44 meters" so I figured somebody here may know what the score is with this.

The structured cabling I would want to reuse is solid core Cat5e (Premise/Molex Powercat 5e to be precise). Longest runs from patch to sockets are ~20 meters.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably fine. I'd just go for it, you can always replace the cable if it doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure 10Gb over decent cable will be no problem if it's only 20 meters.

Soldato
I don’t see where the confusion arises. It’s not in the 802.3an standard to use CAT5e cable with 10BaseT (10GbE) Ethernet.

The standard says that you can use CAT6 cable for run lengths up to 55m or CAT6a or CAT7 cable for run lengths up to 100Mbps.

So that doesn’t mean it won’t work, but it almost certainly means you will see more dropped packets and slower transfers than you would with CAT6 or better twisted pair cable. Anything that is operating at the ragged edge of the standard (Im thinking Broadcom/Marvell/Aquantia rather than Intel) will probably run at 5/2.5/1GbE because the controller will scale back speed to limit communication errors.

The standard is there for a reason. It GUARANTEES interoperability but that doesn’t mean that you can’t get away with something that isn’t quoted in the standard.

Associate
... but it almost certainly means you will see more dropped packets and slower transfers than you would with CAT6 or better twisted pair cable.

Although might be technically true, this experiment seems to indicate very low error rates and/or dropped packets when staying in reasonable cable lengths with 10gbe on cat5e. In fact, the 10gbe test was better than 1gbe on the cat5e network in this instance and transfer speed was basically exactly what one would expect.

So, if you have cat5e already installed I would not run out and buy new cables as a first step. Buy the switches and stuff, test and only replace the rest if needed.

Soldato
OP
Quick update on this for anyone who was wondering how it resolved.

I'm currently running 10Gbit flawlessly on the Cat5e structured cabling in the building, spoke to various cable manufacturers and most seem to rate their 5e for 10Gbit up to 45 meters (as opposed to 55 meters for Cat6 or 100 meters for Cat6a and Cat7). It should be noted however that this only applies to structured cabling (the solid copper Cat5e you find in walls) not the more flexible patch leads, you would still want to use at least Cat6 patch leads with 10Gbit to avoid any potential issues.

Back
Top Bottom