11400F+B560M+3200MHz RAM the price-performance sweetspot?

Soldato
Is this the current sweet spot for price-performance at the moment?

My [email protected] is getting on a bit and feel after 10 years, it's time to bite the bullet.

Did a little research and the 11400F power limits can be turned off, so I want to pair it what an Asus TUF B560M Wifi motherboard. I've read this motherboard has decent VRM.

I'm also thinking of the Corsair Vengeance LPX C16 3200MHz RAM (2x8GB) which I think runs at 3200MHz default in the BIOS.

I'll pretty much be using all the other parts from my current PC, Corsair 520W Modular PSU, NZXT M22 AIO and SSDs.

Just not sure if I need an NVME drive for Windows and if there is a big real-time difference with my Crucial MX500 SSD SATA?

I've got a GTX1050 but it's all I need at the moment as I don't game and GPU prices are mental.

Man of Honour
11400f is the best value to performance at that price point, The MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI for £50 less than the Asus is better value .

As long as your on a ssd general use there not a big diffrence but it's up to you if you want a m2, I've just saved you £50 so you can afford one :D

B550 Vrm test.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The MSI B560M PRO-VDH WIFI for £50 less than the Asus is better value .

As long as your on a ssd general use there not a big diffrence but it's up to you if you want a m2, I've just saved you £50 so you can afford one :D

Thanks! :)

The issue is the TUF mobo is less than a tenner more expensive in Hong Kong where I live.

I did some more bench comparisons of SSD vs NVME and it's only a few second differences in loading, but I think the lack of cables means better airflow, so I'll probably get the WD S750 250GB.

Soldato
OP
Should make a good little system which would be significantly faster at stock than yours.

A youtuber did a comparison which showed that the 10400F is at least 50% faster in most games.

i5 2500K vs i5 11400F - 10 Years Difference - YouTube

Hope that helps :)
Trouble is I don't game anymore, so is there really a difference in day to day tasks like web browsing and using Windows Explorer? Hmmmm.....

I'm kind of more interested in the motherboard, better connectivity but again is it really worth the upgrade if I still have all the connectivity I need now. I guess I'm just itching for some new tech after 10 years hahaha.

Man of Honour
Thanks! :)

The issue is the TUF mobo is less than a tenner more expensive in Hong Kong where I live.

I did some more bench comparisons of SSD vs NVME and it's only a few second differences in loading, but I think the lack of cables means better airflow, so I'll probably get the WD S750 250GB.
WD Sn 550 is all you need see how much more the 11400 is as its useful to have intergrated graphics as a back up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trouble is I don't game anymore, so is there really a difference in day to day tasks like web browsing and using Windows Explorer? Hmmmm.....

I'm kind of more interested in the motherboard, better connectivity but again is it really worth the upgrade if I still have all the connectivity I need now. I guess I'm just itching for some new tech after 10 years hahaha.
If your not in a rush I'd wait till the new 12400F + B660 boards release in a few weeks time.

Soldato
They aren't out in a few weeks, lead times on the lower parts are into end of Feb at the earliest.
It's not like the OP is in a rush though considering he's been sitting on his current set up for 10 years so may as well hang for the better tech that's imminent.

Soldato
It's not like the OP is in a rush though considering he's been sitting on his current set up for 10 years so may as well hang for the better tech that's imminent.

Didn't say that they shouldn't just correcting the 'few weeks' - I'm waiting for the T-series parts to land for my 1U builds they've been pushed back again to mid-April.

Soldato

You would be surprised at how much of a difference it does make going from an older system to a newer one (in this case 9 generations)especially if you added a nice NVME drive for day to day use I think it’s clearly noticeable. Windows is snappier, software loads quicker and is generally a nicer experience.

Windows and updates along with software(not just games) are mostly written to take advantage of newer hardware. When this happens and windows is updated with patches increases overhead burden on that hardware.

Maybe I am a bit spoilt in my industry(and personal hobbies) that I have access to a huge variance in generations of tech but it is certainly something I notice.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for the heads up, I think I'll wait out the 12400F and B660M and see what they bring to the table.

Any ideas what the B660 will bring over the B560?

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the heads up, I think I'll wait out the 12400F and B660M and see what they bring to the table.

Any ideas what the B660 will bring over the B560?

DDR5 on some boards, not that you want that in a bargain system, better USB support e.g. more of the faster ports, and maybe better use of the DMI 4.0 lanes.

Soldato
OP
DDR5 on some boards, not that you want that in a bargain system, better USB support e.g. more of the faster ports, and maybe better use of the DMI 4.0 lanes.
So not a huge generational gap then.

When do we get anything in the future that actually has significant real work benefits?

Soldato
So not a huge generational gap then.

When do we get anything in the future that actually has significant real work benefits?

It's a motherboard, it can only really offer what the CPU allows, or parts that are shrunk over time and integrated, which you've seen in the past, e.g. Wi-Fi, on-board sound, Ethernet, etc.

Motherboards do not offer extra performance 99% of the time, and if they do it is usually down to better power control, and better cooling of that power control, your system only benefits in performance from the parts you install into it, so faster RAM, a better CPU and GPU, or 40Gb Ethernet, you get the idea. The biggest jump we've seen in the past two years is PCI-E 4.0 and now 5.0, this allows more data to be transferred across the same number of lanes, 1x PCI-E 5.0 is equivalent to 4x PCI-E 3.0 in MT/s, which means a previously high end M.2 SSD on 3.0 doesn't need as many board/CPU resources assigning to it to operate at that same speed, and thus the lower end benefits more than the high end kit, unless you are making a workstation or something were you need all the bandwidth you can get.

Soldato
OP
It's a motherboard, it can only really offer what the CPU allows, or parts that are shrunk over time and integrated, which you've seen in the past, e.g. Wi-Fi, on-board sound, Ethernet, etc.

Motherboards do not offer extra performance 99% of the time, and if they do it is usually down to better power control, and better cooling of that power control, your system only benefits in performance from the parts you install into it, so faster RAM, a better CPU and GPU, or 40Gb Ethernet, you get the idea. The biggest jump we've seen in the past two years is PCI-E 4.0 and now 5.0, this allows more data to be transferred across the same number of lanes, 1x PCI-E 5.0 is equivalent to 4x PCI-E 3.0 in MT/s, which means a previously high end M.2 SSD on 3.0 doesn't need as many board/CPU resources assigning to it to operate at that same speed, and thus the lower end benefits more than the high end kit, unless you are making a workstation or something were you need all the bandwidth you can get.
Thanks for the information!

Yes, when I actually looked at the B560M mobo specs, the only things that I will really see a difference with is having an NVME drive that can load Windows and apps faster by a few seconds.

I think all the benefits since the 2500K was released are for gaming and to pump out at higher resolutions.

As a non-gamer and with my [email protected] still loading things fast, the lure of a new computer doesn't seem that grand anymore. :(

Soldato
As a non-gamer and with my [email protected] still loading things fast, the lure of a new computer doesn't seem that grand anymore. :(

Seriously going from a 2500K to a 11400 on a B560 with 16GB of fast DDR4 and a NVMe SSD you'll feel the difference, heck even see the difference. For the relatively small platform upgrade cost it really is worth while.

4c/4t is really not fun in modern O/S or using online apps, and all the other things going on at the same time, yes it is useable, but so is a Pentium 4 with an SSD.

Man of Honour
You definately wont need ddr5 for your needs not to mention the cost, heck you could get away with 4 cores 8 threads cpu. The 11400f is 6 core 12 threads which will give you plenty of headroom for more demanding tasks or games

If your in no rush then wait for the 12400f but go ddr4.

Soldato
Is this the current sweet spot for price-performance at the moment?

This box has an 11400, B560, and DDR4-3600 RAM. And an Asus TUF gaming motherboard. The price saving over the AMD equivalent was significant, but you do need to budget for a CPU cooler if you don't already have one.

Associate
run a i5-10400f , b560 motherboard and 32gb 3200 ram

all cores running at 4ghz

it doesnt miss a beat playing games and more than happy

the b560 will also give you 2-3 m2 slots for a nice clean build

Back
Top Bottom