• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

11900F Pocket Rocket[lake]

Man of Honour
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 11900F on a whim as they were going cheap (£220 new), and I hadn't built an Intel system for 10 years so wanted to get back in the fold. Paired it with a cheap mobo (MSI B560 Bazooka, £62 new after rebate) and a decent cooler Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo (£31 new). Adding 32GB of 3200mhz C16 RAM this totalled just under £400.

I'm not that well educated on this but I'd read that a common issue with B560 is VRM performance and being able to supply sufficient power to boost effectively. The Bazooka was one of the coolest in hardware unboxed's B560 round up from a VRM temp perspective but is also known to deliver lacklustre performance at stock due to not sustaining high clock speeds. This was one reason I bought an aftermarket cooler, so I could crank up the power limits in the BIOS and take advantage of the relatively high boost clock of 5.2ghz. With it being a locked chip, I really needed to take advantage of the boosting.

I already have a decent system (5900X) so was curious to see how it handles gaming/single core workloads given Intel's traditional rep for strong single core performance against the modern backdrop of Zen3 supposedly having excellent IPC. What I found was that it performs very well, dispatching SuperPi 1M in about 6.5s compared to 7.5s for the 5900X. In my preferred eSports game it also delivers around 10-15% higher framerates in benchmarks. This was kind of what I was hoping for, but wasn't sure if it would actually materialise.

Of course this doesn't tell the full story and unsurprisingly the extra cores on the 5900X mean it runs away with heavily threaded benchmarks. The 11900F also uses a LOT of power. Overall the 5900X is the better chip but considering it cost £445 on its own (more than double I paid for the 11900F and more than the Intel cpu, mobo, ram and cooler combined) the 11900F certainly doesn't disgrace itself. I guess a 'fairer' comparison is with the 5800X coming in around £300.

In summation I think the 11900F is a bit of an overlooked chip due to rocket lake generally being viewed as a failure and it being a locked chip. I feel 'locked' doesn't really tell the whole story with cpus these days however due to all the various clock boosting that goes on - the stock speed of 2.5ghz is clearly terrible, but the reality is with the lid lifted on power limits, when loaded it runs at 4.7-5.2ghz dependent on load. Something like a 11900K may not stack up due to the cost - may as well buy Alderlake or Zen 3 - but putting this system together reminded me a bit of 10+ years ago where I felt I was getting something approaching value for money for a gaming system, which hasn't really happened for me with Ryzen for various reasons.
Although, looking at current prices it's harder to recommend the 11900F, it makes less sense at £300+.

Soldato
The 11700f has been pretty cheap here. I'd strongly considered one with a used b560 itx board.
Definitely a flop, but they really don't seem as bad as everyone makes out.

My old 8400 is trying it's best, but even with just the 2070, it's definitely holding things back a little.

Soldato
Definitely a flop, but they really don't seem as bad as everyone makes out.

If you take into account that for the most part they were worse or only equal to the 10th Gen parts at a higher cost and requiring a new board/chipset, then they were terrible, literally utterly terrible. The 11400 was the only good part at release or for a good while later, the rest of them were a waste of time, if you wanted actual value you could get the 10850K for ~£240 for a while, now that was a bargain!

Man of Honour
OP
Yes the somewhat odd situation was that you couldn't get more than 8 cores from rocket lake whereas 10850K has 10 and isn't even the flagship. I never saw it that low in price though (not disputing!).
As for needing a new chipset, that only really matters if upgrading from another socket 1200 platform and you could argue that right now that's a much bigger issue for Alderlake than it is Rocketlake, because you can't get any cheap S1700 boards. Obviously one would expect that to change with the arrival of B660 next year.

My assessment is that Rocketlake has a bad rep because it didn't really deliver much beyond the prior generation and any improvements come with the baggage of extra power consumption / heat. Judged on merit when bought for the right price however, it seems very competitive with Zen3 for gaming, looks like for £282 you get 5600X with B550 at best.

Associate
Not an entirely fair comparison as I got it for free, but I was given an 11700k and a Z590 TUF motherboard by a family member who rushed to Alderlake at first opportunity.

Coming from an 8700k I don't think it's a bad upgrade. In gaming I'm not seeing a huge increase in power consumption and using my same Noctua U14s the 11700k is running slightly cooler than the 8700k at such loads (perhaps because the 11th Gen has a soldered IHS and the 8th Gen did not).

With power limits unlocked (as is default on this board), temps and power consumption does 'rocket' in burn / heavy productivity testing but I don't usually do either. In the AIDA64 burn test the U14s can keep the 11700k at 87C sustained without throttling using 200w - I have no idea if that's good or not but I doubt I'll likely be pushing the CPU harder than that. i appreciate it could use 300w with AVX and my cooler would probably be overwhelmed, but again I can't think when I'd be using AVX (I'm not even fully sure what it is for to be honest).

All in all, I wouldn't be too upset if I'd paid a (reasonable) amount for this setup coming from an i7 8700k when 11th Gen first launched (or perhaps even now if cheap enough). I probably wouldn't be as impressed moving from an i9 9900k or 10700k/10900k as gaming benchmarks are very close, but I wouldn't usually consider changing to only one CPU generation newer anyway (except maybe Ryzen 3xxx to 5xxx which was an exceptional improvement). Having an 11th Gen has also avoided any legacy software problems which have arisen from 12th Gen and means I'm not forced onto Windows 11 (which I don't care much for). I can also finally usually my Samsung 980 Pro at full speed.

So far I'm not sure 11th Gen is quite as horrific as some of the reviews suggested, it seems to be quite close to the 5800x with the caveat of potentially horrible power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom