11m! Just blowing in the wind.

Caporegime
Yea, negleable. This is why no country has done it and why most countries are ploughing large amounts into grid storage research. as well as the cost of subsidies to build new plants as private wouldn't when there's no guarantee there product will be purchased. As your storage would be a pathetic amount and you would still have to force plants offline.

It's gigawatts actually using currently available technology.

Look at the price of batteries and you can easily calculate how much it would cost for x amount of power.

So does this massive array actually exist or are you just speculating that it could exist?

They are used as backup power solutions for large facilities like hospitals etc

Man of Honour
Sure:rolleyes:, which is why no ones done it, despite every EU and other countries are desperate for mass grid storage.

The only figure I can fomd is $10 for 15MW
And not to mention you still have to pay these companies to shut down while the capacity is installed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh god, it really isn't that simple.
And yet again ignoring something the energy industry, goverments, EU etc says is a pressing matter and pumping millions to research, yet someone who didn't have a clue when he first posted, knows it all.

ETI made a £14m investment with Isentropic to develop and demonstrate a cost-effective 1.5MW/6MWh energy storage device that will operate on a UK primary substation owned by Western Power Distribution (WPD) in the Midlands. See http://www.eti.co.uk/news/article/eti_invest_14m_in_energy_storage_breakthrough_with_isentropic.

That's a mass heat storage design, Really cheap isn't it?

Or the smarter network storage in Bedfordshire £18.7m for 6mw/10mwh using lithium ion. And that's not even due to be comleted till 2016 let alone operation now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's the exact same format as the 1MW product you linked to. You connect many individual cells together and you get a single large battery.

I wouldn't expect you to respond with any proper rebuttal though, as every time your statements are refuted I always get the same non-responses as above.

Man of Honour
You haven't actually given anything. and non response? What non response, I've given figures? You've given nothing, nothing at all. Other than it's cheap and possible. Despite everything saying otherwise.

Smarter network storage £18.7m for 6mw/10mwh and not due for completion till 2016, yeah really cheap.
Just jeep ignoring every man and his dog is working on mass grid storage.

But off course you ignore this and the costs.

Or Yerba Buena Battery Energy Storage System Pilot Project cost $18.1 million which is a 4MW Sodium-Sulfur battery system.

Or BC Hydro Battery Energy Storage Project $13m for 1mw sodium sulfur battery

Last edited:
Caporegime
You edited your post...

Just because some organisations are producing expensive systems based on new expensive battery chemistries does not mean that much cheaper solutions are not possible.

I built a a 15KWh storage system for less than £1000 using lead-acid batteries, these things are in common use in peoples homes with solar panels and very easy to scale up.

Caporegime
Maybe if you take a course in electronics you would understand, but since you just keep coming out with "computer says no" responses and quoting the most expensive systems you can find, there's not much point in trying to discuss this with you. It's just a shame that so much money is wasted on not producing power instead of the cheap mass storage systems that are possible with off the shelf components.

Man of Honour
Lol, they aren't the most expensive system I can find, these are the few systems in the world that have been built or being built.
And would love to know the model for you £1000 15kwh system seeing as that's cheaper than a 2kw battery.

Why don't you assemble one and become a billionaire over night, every single country is desperate for cheap mass grid storage, as you need it once you hit ~20% renewables to smooth the grid out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol, they aren't the most expensive system I can find, these are the few systems in the world that have been built or being built.
And would love to know the model for you £1000 15kwh system seeing as that's cheaper than a 2kw battery.

Why don't you assemble one and become a billionaire over night, every single country is desperate for cheap mass grid storage, as you need it once you hit ~20% renewables to smooth the grid out.

A 3KWh lead acid battery retails for approx £200, I bought 5 of them and wired them up in parallel to produce a single 12v 15KWh battery capable of powering an LED floodlight system for an outdoor riding arena.

I'm afraid I don't have the capital for a gigawatt array of batteries. ;)

wmb

wmb

Associate
So why we've moved on to the topic of storage what about entropy?

Keep changing energy from one form to another and it keeps getting less efficient. Just build enough nuclear/coal and gas plants to keep our base load 50 years and use that time to invest in some proper renewal sources that can provide the majority of our power from then on.

Caporegime
My local hospital uses diesel generators, as do most of our IT clients who require continuous power.
The only battery-based backup sources that we use are small UPS devices which give enough power for a server to shut down gracefully.

Yes generators are usually used to provide power over a decent period of time. Battery based storage is most typically used while transitioning to the generators which take a little time to start up. Remember the Fukushima nuclear power plant incident, they used exactly this type of system, unfortunately the generators got flooded so the cooling system failed after 12hrs when the batteries ran out.

Last edited:
Associate
Went to an industry conference a couple of months ago on energy initiatives. There were a few presentations, including the usual solar panel stuff etc but there was one company who were doing something where they fitted equipment to your plant and machinery to enable them to turn it on and off remotely. They then got paid by the National grid to manipulate demand and passed some of this on to you. They had it installed in things like air conditioning units in university buildings etc. Wasn't relevant for our usage but it was relevant for things say where you are keeping something in a certain temperature range- as long as they kept it withing that they could switch on and off whenever they wanted and so manipulate demand. Interesting stuff and you can understand why its important to the NG.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Related to the energy storage debate, for those interested, I'd recommend having a look at the Highview power storage system. It utilizes Liquid Air Energy Storage as the means for withholding power by simply using it to liquidise air and store it. The natural rise in temperature and subsequent expansion of the air is then used to turn rather conventional turbines. Quite a nifty little idea that's proving to be quite an efficient design, just needs a few more years of funding and research to really blossom in my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom