12.1" Laptop

Permabanned
My sister is after a 12.1" laptop. She doesn't want to spend a lot but still wants to get a reasonably good one. She looked at a netbook but thinks the screen size is too small (According to her size does matter! lol).

She did look at some 11.6" netbooks but is more swayed towards a 12.1" laptop, even though there isn't much difference in size!

What are your recommendations? Not sure about budget. Just let me know what you think would be a nice 12.1" Laptop or try to convince me to convince her that an 11.6 would be just as good! Thanks

P.S. She doesn't game etc. Just wants it for her work. Bog standard stuff really.

Soldato
Don't be ignorant! lol

1.3ghz is pants!!

Ah, such wrongness, breath it in.
What era are you living in BTW? I don't think it's the same one as everyone else, you seem to be stuck in the ghz wars of a few years ago.

What you want now, especially in a 12.1" laptop (have you forgot what you're looking for and what it needs to do?) Is a nice efficient, low voltage CPU running at whatever speed it needs to to get the job done. 1.3ghz is more than capable.
My Core2 U7500 runs at 1.06ghz and I've not once struggled with it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In fairness, you wouldn't fancy running photoshop on those machines - but if you want that you don't want a 12" machine, take the slight penalty of getting a 13" and a mainstream processor rather than the ultra low voltage varients...

Permabanned
OP
As i stated, she needs it for work and a 1.3 is not right for her needs. As it happens, she uses Photoshop in her job! She is willing to spend up to £700 on a 12.1" laptop.

She needs a laptop that is a 'Capable' one. One she can rely on. A 1.3 might be a stumbling block in some applications, that is why she wants a 1.6 or a bit more.

Soldato
Photoshop on a 12" screen, that will look horrendous!! Unless she hooks it up to a monitor.

Samsung Q310 was a 12.1" laptop if I recall. (i think the Q320 moved to 13.3")

EDIT - The Q310 was 13" :( It was the Q210 that was 12" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Acer aspire 2930 is an option although I have no idea of Acer build quality

Other Options:
Samsung Q210
Toshiba Portege M750 (Touchscreen)
Hewlett Packard PavilionTX2-1165EA

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You're asking the impossible to be honest, 12 or 13" is still ultra portable territory and that has a price premium in addition to which none of those machines are brilliant for photoshop or similar. The Dell E4200 is one of the best of the bunch, it *starts* at £1100. You either need to get a 13" in which case you'll get a more powerful machine at a reasonable price or spend more money.

Back
Top Bottom