125 bike

Soldato
So you think the XT could reach 70 without much fuss? That's as fast as I want to go I think. :p

Apparently the DT uses 0.5-1 litre of fuel for every 100KM I think it was KM anyway compared to the XT. So won't be paying that much more for petty. Dunno how much 2 stroke oil it eats though and how expensive it is. Do you need to mix it yourself for the DT or just pop it in and it mixes itself?

The DT has a petrol tank and a seperate two stroke tank.
You havent had to premix on anything other than crap lawnmowers for about 25 years.
A 12bhp DT will hit 70 and still have some revs left, when derestricted they make high 20's and that makes them fairly entertaining for a learner off road.

Soldato
OP
So do you think the DT would be a good bike to commute to college on and just for general fun and journey's? I'm concerned about the miles to the gallon. Anything below 55 for me tbh isn't worth it.

Associate
So do you think the DT would be a good bike to commute to college on and just for general fun and journey's? I'm concerned about the miles to the gallon. Anything below 55 for me tbh isn't worth it.

If fuel efficiency is a priority then I'd get a four stroke. Two strokes are generally less efficient because when fuel gets to the combustion chamber, some will leak out of the exhaust port.

Soldato
OP
It's not a priority but I feel there is no point having a slow 2 stroke compared to a slow 4 stroke. Are there any other 4 strokes that are similar style to the Honda XR that are slightly more powerful, IE 14-15BHP. Also the XR doesn't have a kickstart. I'm not even sure how much better the Honda XR fuel consumption is compared to the DT. If it is on par then I'd rather have a DT due to, I like the look of it more, it's much more powerful, more fun.

Associate
It's not a priority but I feel there is no point having a slow 2 stroke compared to a slow 4 stroke. Are there any other 4 strokes that are similar style to the Honda XR that are slightly more powerful, IE 14-15BHP. Also the XR doesn't have a kickstart. I'm not even sure how much better the Honda XR fuel consumption is compared to the DT. If it is on par then I'd rather have a DT due to, I like the look of it more, it's much more powerful, more fun.

Have a look at the WR125X then. That's got the R125 engine in it, so it's quite a bit new.

To be honest, I don't think 2-3 hp will make a noticeable difference. My YBR125 had 10hp and I got an indicated 78 on that. I don't know anyone with a four stroke 125 who's got much more than that.

Soldato
OP
I looked at some WR's and they seem to cost the Dogs *******s unfortunately.

This one looks like a great buy however. The rest are generally £1500 plus and I'm willing to spend about a grand total on one.

Associate
Just get an Rd125LC, I wouldn't worry about speed then, their mpg isn't too bad if you ride it sensibly, and the 2-stroke oil has its own separate tank which mixes by itself. :)

Plus their a classic so you should have a decent re-sale value, possibly more then you paid for it.

Associate
dt all the way, much quicker and better looking, loads more fun and potential supermoto it etc and good resale, you will never struggle to sell one they are highly sought after!
No brainer in my opinion!

Associate
Here's my Rd, does it not tickle your fancy?
Goes like the clapper's :p

Wasn't expensive either.

kgrhqeoknie1mznh0ubnhjz.jpg

Associate
£850 :)

If you worried about filling up 2 stroke oil as well every time you re-fuel, don't be, you only need to fill it's separate tank every so often, just remember to keep an eye on it.

Soldato
OP
That doesn't personally tickle my fancy, but a good buy undoubtedly. What sort of miles to the gallon are you getting on it? I've got a friend with a Rieju geared 50 and he gets 30 miles to the gallon on it. If I get a 2 stroke I've already said I want 60+ miles to the gall. Just too expensive to run really otherwise.

Just thinking how I could get the best of both worlds-ish. Could just bite the bullet and do my bike license at 17 and get a 250cc or 200. No more than 250 though, motorcycle. This way I'll have the speed 70+mph without any fuss and I'll have fuel economy. 75 miles to the gallon plus? What would you guys recommend. I'm still thinking dirt bike/supermoto style.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom