125 for a big guy..

Associate
Hello! Thought I would venture over to this corner of the forum to ask anyones opinion on a big guy on a 125, I weigh in at over 21 stones (Yes, THATS A LOT) and I was wondering if the thing would move? would it ever reach its shameful top speed and would I have any problems on a 'cruiser' type bike. I've looked into mopeds but they make my soul weep, If you have ever seen a massive guy on a little bike, you know what I mean lol!

Associate
I managed to get my 15 stones on a Yamaha YBR125 but I think you might find it difficult. People are always saying that the Honda Varadero 125 is good for bigger riders - maybe that's worth checking out?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I've RTM'ed the thread so it gets moved to the Bikers section.

I'm 6ft 5 & rode a 1T for 13 months, 1 a Chinese Chopper an AJS 125 EOS, Looked great & was massive in size as it is built to take either a 125 or a 350, It was a 4 stroke & reached about 70 with the wind behind me but uphill & in a bad head wind you'd be lucky to see 50, Yes Seriously. Later in the year I got an old NSR125F 2 stroke which ripped along & was much more fun to ride although I did rebuild it 3 times in around 6 weeks, The NSR would get up to 80-85 no matter what but you do need to be handy with a spanner.
So Basically 4 stroke 125 = Reliable but won't do muh more than 70 with you on it & more likely 55-60 in the wind.
Old 2 stroke 125 will rip you along but they are pretty small & you need to know your way around a toolbox.

Soldato
A cruiser style is probably your best bet, to be honest... but that weight on a 125 wouldn't be much fun, I don't think.

Guy I used to work with rode a Jinlun 125, which looked really nice and appeared to have far more grunt than it actually did. He had got to be pushing 20 stone and never really complained about the ride.

Associate
OP
I didn't expect the replies that quick! I must thank you all for the advice, I will look into what moribius and 4T5 said etc. I must say, I put on loads of weight when I lost my job last year so maybe I should take a gap between my new job and getting a bike so I can work it off a bit. Might open up my options.

Cheers again for the replies!

Tea Drinker
Don
I'm 6 3 and about that much ish a bit errrr and I rode a 125 Varadero for a year and it was fine, often mistaken for a 600 by the size and the v twin keeps the speed up, sit nicely at 65 easily.

Soldato
I'm about 16-17st and 6ft, don't weigh myself these days, lets just say im chunky build shall we say, lol.
I ride a yamaha ybr 125 and have no problems reaching 65mph on it, of i was slimmer it may get 70, but heck its enough and does the job, acceleration wise no issues again.

I would say the Varadero or a cruiser would be best like the others have said, but your weight would not be an issue really when it comes to riding it, just may lose a little top end like i have.

Associate
Hi there buddy im not as big as I once was but back when I started I was about 19 stone if I remember correctly and im still a biggie (not sure what I am now) I ride a Hyosung GT125 which is great nice and comfy not bad at all and with it being a V-Twin it pulls me along great again up hills ill be lucky to see 45 wind behind me about 67 - 70 max.

I did my CBT on a old Suzuki and that pulled my along quite nicely and my buddys YBR didn't seem to struggle and it'll go forever :)

Associate
be smart and do what ive done and get an aprilia mx 125

i cant even touch the floor on the thing and the guy i got it off was ridiculously fat.

has adjustable shock tooooo

and as long as you brake the law and get the full power model with 34mm carb you will be laughing with 0 - 60 in about 6 seconds, although you are a fatty so add a second ish on top

but i am looking at around 90 mph ish

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Unlocked Aprilia rs 125 gs 40hp that thing is mental! :D But its smaller than the one mentioned above, varadero is a huge bike as well with 2 cylinders!

Associate
Unlocked Aprilia rs 125 gs 40hp that thing is mental! :D But its smaller than the one mentioned above, varadero is a huge bike as well with 2 cylinders!

Nope, claimed 33bhp realisticly around 20-25. Still a good choice for a bigger guy thats scared of a little 125 struggling to pull him along.

I'm around 6ft1 and managed to get comfy commuting on my Cagiva Mito and would definitely recommend.

Tea Drinker
Don
My Varadero next to my BMW F650 both big bikes, if you didn't know the Varadero was a 125 you'd think it was a 600

34072_438072016873_7720376_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom