125 learner cruiser suggestions

Associate
Hi all.

Fancying learning to ride and having a bike for the summer months and the daily work trip (15min journey) and always fancied a cruiser style bike for this.

I know zilch about bikes really, always been a car guy so.

Ive spotted a few Yamaha YBR 125s on fleabay, bit more than I was hoping to spend (500-800ish) but I'm sure scouring facebook, gumtree etc I'd find something.

Is there any second hand bikes people would suggest for under a grand? want something reliable, thatll handle doing 65ish without kicking its head in, and that looks the part.

Heres a random one i found that looks what im after: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Y...d6b243b84:g:8UwAAOSwT2daR9ha&autorefresh=true

thanks lads.

Soldato
You might find a Honda CG125 a better option. From what I recall, the Yammies are a bit small.

If you want a full-on 125 Cruiser, consider the Yamaha Dragstar or the Honda Shadow.
Suzuki do a Marauder (which is quite small) and the Intruder (which is a bit bigger).
I'm sure Kak-wasaki do a 125 Eliminator, and that I just fell over laughing at it.

Prices highly subjective, although 125cc bikes tend to hold their value. So it's worth spending a reasonable amount for a decent one, as is taking along someone who can look the bike over and make a good assessment of its condition.

Bear in mind also that you may well end up wanting to do your full bike licence...!

Associate
OP
You might find a Honda CG125 a better option. From what I recall, the Yammies are a bit small.

If you want a full-on 125 Cruiser, consider the Yamaha Dragstar or the Honda Shadow.
Suzuki do a Marauder (which is quite small) and the Intruder (which is a bit bigger).
I'm sure Kak-wasaki do a 125 Eliminator, and that I just fell over laughing at it.

Prices highly subjective, although 125cc bikes tend to hold their value. So it's worth spending a reasonable amount for a decent one, as is taking along someone who can look the bike over and make a good assessment of its condition.

Bear in mind also that you may well end up wanting to do your full bike licence...!

my lasses dad knows his way around bikes, or pretty much anything mechanical, so he'd be coming with me.
To be honest, I don't think I'd ever want to ride anything bigger - its only a little commuter really with the occasional summer ride. Car will be main vehicle this is only to be a work runabout.

Soldato
6 months is about the time you realise how dangerous 125s are, having such little power and only doing 65mph can be... "interesting" on NSL roads or dual carriageways.

OP, make a thread in the bikers cafe, in case you've not seen it, we're a friendly bunch ;) :D

Soldato
a 125 really isn't enough for the roads unless your just 100% in an urban setting with 30 and 40mph zones, they're great for learning or tootling around on private land but if you're a grown up you'll want a full size bike in no time flat.

Soldato
6 months is about the time you realise how dangerous 125s are, having such little power and only doing 65mph can be... "interesting" on NSL roads or dual carriageways.
I'd agree with the 6 months, but not with the danger.
My 125 had only 12BHP, but could still out-accelerate a truck on the open road and many cars in town. Combine that with focussed practice and you have a good set of skills to take you forward.

Yes, there is a lack of power but you shouldn't ever rely on that, whether you have 30 or 130BHP. Forward planning and observation will do far more for your riding ability than increasing power.

Also, most 125s can go faster than 65 if you ride them properly. Over 8 months I managed several touring holidays around Cornwall and Scotland, and before getting a bigger bike would ride down the M4/M25 into central London and back every Friday afternoon, all on my 125.

Soldato

OP, make a thread in the bikers cafe, in case you've not seen it, we're a friendly bunch ;) :D

6 months? Once I'd completed by CBT I knew that 125s were far too slow/not powerful enough! :D

Soldato
I'd agree with the 6 months, but not with the danger.
My 125 had only 12BHP, but could still out-accelerate a truck on the open road and many cars in town. Combine that with focussed practice and you have a good set of skills to take you forward.

Yes, there is a lack of power but you shouldn't ever rely on that, whether you have 30 or 130BHP. Forward planning and observation will do far more for your riding ability than increasing power.

Also, most 125s can go faster than 65 if you ride them properly. Over 8 months I managed several touring holidays around Cornwall and Scotland, and before getting a bigger bike would ride down the M4/M25 into central London and back every Friday afternoon, all on my 125.
I'm talking more about making overtakes on NSL roads, on a 125 you not only need about half a mile of clear, straight road to overtake a 40mph dawdler, you also need a run up from about 3-4 car lengths back in order to get enough speed to overtake. It's dangerous trying to overtake while on a 125. And even worse when you get drivers who accelerate while you're mid overtake, or who tailgate when you don't have the power/ability to get away from them.

Or on a DC, alongside a truck doing 60mph, you get to a slight gradient and you're stuck alongside it, yes forward planning can help but all these situations are down to lack of power. Even 40bhp is plenty to never be in those situations.

I did 8 months and 7k miles on a 125 (a varadero that would happily sit at 70mph), doing 200 miles a week commuting on NSL roads, if you pootle about at 40-50mph everywhere not bothered about overtaking anything then yeah they're fine, for anything else the lack of power is a liability.

Soldato
Didn't the RS125 do over 90mph even when restricted?
I was on a CG125... :p

Most 125s aren't quite so quick though, colleague has a modern one and it tops out around 65. Bigger bikes are able to be more effortless and comfier though so imo it's better to just skip the smaller ones (essentially) if age allows.

Soldato
I grew up in London and a 125 was ok, but I live in rural Cambridgeshire and yea, 125 is no good.

I'd say look at 250-400cc but the, those restricted license things have completely messed up the market for those and they are all overpriced.

You can get an older CBF600 or similar (any 500-600cc commuter bike there are loads) for less then the cost of a 125 - obviously there is the cost of getting your license and if you are old enough to get an unrestricted one.

Soldato
Sorry noted you want a cruiser, that little Yamaha thing is cool, I'd have one.

But I'd suggest getting your license, the first generation of the new waive of Bonneville's might start coming up, they are 800cc but pretty low on HP for the displacement, Triumph did bring out a second gen with much more power, but a lot of bikers rushed out and baught the first generation and I've already spoken one who is getting bored with it. Newer Triumphs are pretty solid also.

Caporegime
An oddball is a Keeway Superlight. As much as I hate cheap rubbish, I only seem to read positive things about them, so have a read and maybe add it to your list of options :)

As for the RS125 question, they do 100-110mph unrestricted free but I've seen a race prepped example hit 130mph.

Soldato
I'm talking more about making overtakes on NSL roads, on a 125 you not only need about half a mile of clear, straight road to overtake a 40mph dawdler, you also need a run up from about 3-4 car lengths back in order to get enough speed to overtake.
Which is still faster than some cars even today.
Can't say I ever found it a problem, but then that's exactly what you're supposed to be learning on a 125 - Forward planning and observation.

It's dangerous trying to overtake while on a 125. And even worse when you get drivers who accelerate while you're mid overtake, or who tailgate when you don't have the power/ability to get away from them.
Nothing I haven't had at 140mph with 130BHP - Engine size has nothing to do with it.

Most 125s aren't quite so quick though, colleague has a modern one and it tops out around 65. Bigger bikes are able to be more effortless and comfier though so imo it's better to just skip the smaller ones (essentially) if age allows.
Most 125 cruisers I've ridden (all the above I mentioned, except the Kwak) would do over 70mph if you were gradual on the throttle instead of ragging it.

Soldato
Most 125 cruisers I've ridden (all the above I mentioned, except the Kwak) would do over 70mph if you were gradual on the throttle instead of ragging it.

I don't believe you've had a CG at a genuine 70mph... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CG125

It's not all about 'can x bike do y speed' though...I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times but a larger bike is generally just more stable, comfortable etc. so if you have the option to go bigger, imo it makes sense to do so.

Soldato
Not this again...
Must... Resist... Replying...

It's ok though, apparently being on the wrong side of the road for 5+ seconds alongside another car doing 40mph is as safe as executing an overtake in 1-2 seconds. :p

Back to the OP - just be aware that of all the 125's the cruisers tend to be the heaviest and therefore slowest, apart from maybe the CG125.

Think of a 125 as a stopgap, unless you're commuting through town/city with minimal NSL roads, in which case it's perfect :)

Back
Top Bottom