12600k upgrade - All games crashing 5-40 mins in.

Associate
I come to you at a time of great need, this has been a nightmare for weeks. Upgraded CPU, MOBO and RAM, re-using my GPU and PSU from my last build.

Games will crash within 5-40 mins of playing, all other background programmes are run without an issue, no BSOD, it's only the game that closes.

Event Viewer hasn't helped me much. Sometimes pointing to C:\Windows\system32\sysmain.dll cannot be found, sometimes it's an app hang error, sometimes Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll. sometimes something else completely.

RAM passed memtest86 without any issues.
Fresh install of windows 11
DDU graphic drivers and reinstalled
latest F5 BIOS
Disabling E-cores doesn't fix it.

Build:
Windows 11 - (Most up to date public release)
Intel 12600k
gigabyte z690UD DDR4 (latest F5 BIOS)
Nvidia GTX 1080ti
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz (Passed MemTest86)

Soldato
Have you tried disabling XMP? Disabling reBAR?

But this sounds to me more like a GPU issue. Are the fans working correctly? Don't rely on the fan monitor software; actually look at it. Are all the cables plugged in properly at both ends? Is the GPU on a riser cable? If so remove it.

Associate
OP

But this sounds to me more like a GPU issue. Are the fans working correctly? Don't rely on the fan monitor software; actually look at it. Are all the cables plugged in properly at both ends? Is the GPU on a riser cable? If so remove it.

Testing now with XMP disabled. I don't think reBAR is enabled as I can't see it within the Nvidia drivers in system info, or the "Large memory" in Resources for the GPU in device manager.

Fans are definitely going, not on a GPU riser.

Update: Seems stable so far. If the issue was XMP all along, I don't know if I should be happy or cry.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

I think that's sorted it, disabling XMP. 2 Weeks of stress and faffing and that's all the issue was (maybe)?

Although my RAM is now running at 2400MHz instead of 3200MHz.
- I'm probably not going to ever notice a performance difference between 2400 and 3200, right?
- The XMP failure, is that more of a RAM or Motherboard fault?
- Is it worth increasing the voltages or just be happy that it's now appearing to be stable

Last edited:
Associate
1. couple of FPS(1-3%), you won't notice it but it will show up clearly in benchmark
2. Usually the motherboard, since RAM usually passed XMP profile during QA, against a motherboard, but I would say a bit of both.
3. You can try tweaking the custom profile of the Memory, reach the limit then backoff by a bit, it will never be "Certified" but it should be relatively stable, I wouldn't really bother though.

Associate
OP
1. couple of FPS(1-3%), you won't notice it but it will show up clearly in benchmark
2. Usually the motherboard, since RAM usually passed XMP profile during QA, against a motherboard, but I would say a bit of both.
3. You can try tweaking the custom profile of the Memory, reach the limit then backoff by a bit, it will never be "Certified" but it should be relatively stable, I wouldn't really bother though.
Perfect thanks

I'm sure I read another post on here recently where XMP wouldn't work - but manually setting the exact same settings worked fine.
Might be worth a shot?
Yep, I'm going to enjoy having a working PC for a while now but I'll set it all manually later on.

Man of Honour
There can actually be a massive difference between 2400mhz and 3200mhz, depending on the game a extra 20% performance so you should get it running at it's proper speed. I would enter the speed, timings and voltage manually and see how it goes. With my current Gigabyte board with the XMP profile activated I had stability problems like you. It turned out that the primary slots for two sticks were not the normal slots 1 and 3 but were slots 2 and 4 instead (slot 1 being the closest to the cpu). Once I had switched to these slots my stability issues were gone so it may be the same with your board. The manual had no information on which slots to use and it was only someone on here trawling it up on Gigabytes website in very small print that fixed this problem for myself and others on here.

Back
Top Bottom