• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12700k question

Associate
Hi all,

Quick question around Z790 and the 12700kf. I’m about to pull the trigger and I’m looking at the MSI Z790 Carbon - 5x m.2 slots look great. Manual mentions m.2 1 & 2 use lanes from the CPU which would lower latency but I understand Z690 was designed for the 12th gen and was lower spec (pcie 3.0 for the carbon) I guess my question is will I retain 100% of the features of the z790 carbon if I went with the 12700k?

Shouldn't lose any features, keep in mind if you populate M2_2 it will drop the main PCI-e x16 slot down to x8 electrical.

Brill thank you - it’s PCIE 5 I believe so x8 will be x16 gen 4 which doesn’t bother me :)
FYI: AMD X670E/B650E can have PCI-E 5.0 graphics AND a PCI-E 5.0 M.2 slot, this is a limitation of the Intel CPUs/boards, because they don't have any spare lanes.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t go 12th gen unless it was crazy cheap or I was on a budget and coming from a very old set up.
I was always tempted by the 7800x3d but I can’t imagine it dropping below £300 anytime soon - the 12700k just looks crazy at £179?? Or is it just me? :) then again the 7600x3d has threw a small spanner in there - I appreciate nowhere near the multi threaded performance but I imagine for gaming it’ll do great

I was always tempted by the 7800x3d but I can’t imagine it dropping below £300 anytime soon - the 12700k just looks crazy at £179?? Or is it just me? :) then again the 7600x3d has threw a small spanner in there - I appreciate nowhere near the multi threaded performance but I imagine for gaming it’ll do great
The 5700x3d would be a better gaming cpu.

12th gen was not amazing

The 5700x3d would be a better gaming cpu.

12th gen was not amazing
it’s a dead platform mate - the 12th gen will give me access to 14th gen.. when they sort their issues out? :) I’ve just got an itch to get rid of my 9900k and at this point anything will be a good upgrade.. it is starting to show its age at 1440 165hz

I swear I will upgrade at some point! It’s my 30th end of this year December mum, dad and partner keep pestering me so think I’ll get them to get me a new processor and motherboard.. thank you talking me out of it! I’ll wait till end of year :)

For the same sort of cast that you was looking at you could grab a 7600 and b650 board. That’s the start of a very good system. The 7600 is also about on par with the 5800x3d so would beat the 12700 to death in games

Back
Top Bottom