128MB SDRAM (PC133) Only being recognised as 32MB

Associate
Any ideas why that could be?

My system usually has 2x 32MB sticks on it, but I wanted to up that to 128MB.

For reasons unknown to me, the system only sees the stick as 32MB.

It's pc133 (same as the old sticks) and has 8 chips on it (my 2 x 32mb sticks each have 16 chips, if that makes any difference). I'm not trying to mix and match the 128mb with any of the old ones.

Bad RAM do you think?

Associate
OP
Are the old sticks single sided and the new one double?

What’s the motherboard?
The old ones are double-sided, and the new one is single.

I'm still uncertain what board I have as there are minimal identifiers on it (Gateway 2000 machine). I've actually just taken some photos ton upload in a different thread :)

Associate
OP
See your other thread, I believe your issue here (assuming you are talking about the same PC) is that the board is expecting EDO DIMMs and you are using PC133 SDRAM.

Just seen your other post, and yes, you're spot on. Arrgh!! I used to build systems all the time back in the 90's. I can't believe I've forgotten all this stuff over the years :(

Associate
If the old 2X32MB RAM sticks are SDRAM and work fine then it's purely a density issue, and to get 128MB working you will need 2x64MB sticks that are dual-sided. The board can only see 32MB per module side, so the 4 sides would total a max of 128MB. I had a Luckystar motherboard many years back with the same chipset and limitation.

Associate
OP
If the old 2X32MB RAM sticks are SDRAM and work fine then it's purely a density issue, and to get 128MB working you will need 2x64MB sticks that are dual-sided. The board can only see 32MB per module side, so the 4 sides would total a max of 128MB. I had a Luckystar motherboard many years back with the same chipset and limitation.

Thanks @hohum ! That explains why it was only being seen as 32MB!!

Back
Top Bottom