1440p 120hz+ monitor for series x and pc

Associate
Looking to purchase a monitor that will do 1440p and at least 120hz that works with both my pc and Xbox series x? I’ve done a little bit of research and it seems this may not be quite as easy as it should be. I’m currently stuck on the Samsung g7 27” but are there better alternatives?

Associate
OP
My budget is maybe £400 to £500. Happy to go second hand also if the value is there. Would hope to have a decent spec for that kind of money but just after some advise from anyone that has had to choose a monitor with the same requirements as mine. So many out there with conflicting reviews on 1440p that can run at 120hz with the series x

Soldato
FreeSync monitors work just fine with XSX.

While LG's monitors and panels in other brands are very popular in IPS monitors, their contrast is from 15 years ago and contrast isn't strength of IPS even normally.
So for IPS I'll rank AU Optronics panels with well above normal for IPS contrast higher than LGs

MSI G273QF is well priced and has DCI-P3 gamut comparable to best of LG, though stand has barely any adjustments
MSI OPTIX 27" G273QF 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor= £348.95
MAG274QRF has good stand and even wider also AdobeRGB covering gamut.
MSI 27" MAG274QRF-QD 2560x1440 IPS Quantum Dot 165Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Backlit Gami= £498.95
Though price has gone up notably from before the Christmas time.
(IIRC was £400 couple weeks before Christmas)

Though if you prefer darkened room, VA panel's way highest contrast and hence best black of LCD's makes it give better looking image.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I do tend to play on my pc in a dark room with only a few led’s behind my screen. The monitors you have recommended both look good value but from what you have said, I might be better looking at a VA panel? What are the pros and cons of a VA panel over an IPS?
If I had to sacrifice one over the other, I’d probably take performance over quality. I’d rather have a screen that can give me 120hz @1440p over a screen that can give me let’s say better hdr but can’t quite get the full 120hz experience.
Of course, I’d rather have the best of both worlds but I’m flexible.

Associate
OP
I’m leaning towards the BenQ 2780q. Decent price and seems to work well at 1440p and 120hz Xbox. Is there anything out there at that would offer this kind of value but better results? A bit worried that this monitor is a hack of all trades and master of none. I can get round the dark room thing if needed and I will be using the monitor for gaming only

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I do tend to play on my pc in a dark room with only a few led’s behind my screen.
For such conditions IPS would pretty much need FALD backlight.
(AOC Agon AG274QXM only 2560x1440 FALD monitor)
Though neither are VAs comparable to self emissive pixel tech in any way.

Back
Top Bottom