1440P New Build

Associate
Hello All,

Looking at building a new system after having the current one for close to 10 years.

Just looking for the system currently as I'm unsure which 1440 UW monitor to pair it with yet, depending if I want to make the jump for the AW3423DWF or reign the budget on the monitor in a bit.

I've had a play looking at some of the posts on here and keep going around in circles with which sort of aesthetics I want for the build. I'm torn between minimal RGB and going full O11D with AIO + fans.

Budget I'm looking at around £2000 +/- 10% and I'm not looking to salvage anything from my current system.

It'll be used for playing games, a mix of everything really from MMORPG, RTS, FPS, and AAA games.

Any help is appreciated, here is where I'm at currently, have I messed anything up compatibility-wise, is there better options ect?: (I know the case is pre-order, I'm not 100% on case/cooler/fan options currently)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,056.86 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

I could replace the CPU cooler here with a Peerless Assassin for £35 also.

Also: Is the 4080 Super worth the extra £160?

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,767.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. Obviously the case is subject to personal taste so I'd probably swap that out and I suppose as budget allows I might as well stretch to the 4080 super, and it opens the possibility of grabbing a 4k monitor as apposed to a 1440p.

Would there be any adjustments to the build above if say the budget was £2,000 just for the internals? Then I can play around with case and layouts at an additional cost (the budget wasn't set in stone, just to stop myself getting silly). I could even use my old case if I've not settled on anything yet. (corsair air 540). Then pick something up when the wind blows in the right direction.

It'll be sitting on my desk so it's got to be decent to look at to my preference. I like the look of the FD North, Lian Li Vision and the Hyte Y40 currently.

Associate
OP
Just 2,000 on everything to go into a case. (No case, no cpu cooler, Fans).

CPU, MB, GPU, Mem, Storage, PSU.

Ben, it'll be a mix of anything and everything really. Although I have looked at and considered a xtx, I'm not team green or red, just what fits best, works well and looks neat and tidy behind a glass screen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Oh, right. For my build: you could buy memory that it is a bit faster, upgrade to 48GB or 64GB and get a motherboard like the TUF B650-Plus, which has an extra M.2 slot (PCI-E 5.0). The 7800X3D and 4080 Super I wouldn't change.

Soldato

Ben, it'll be a mix of anything and everything really. Although I have looked at and considered a xtx, I'm not team green or red, just what fits best, works well and looks neat and tidy behind a glass screen.

Tetras has nailed it (as usual :p. )32 gig of ram is overkill for 90% of gaming atm so more is a waste of money.
You could add a 4tb m.2 drive to store all your games on and keep the 2tb as just windows and other assorted downloaded files etc.
4090 would just blow your budget out of the water.
A beter motherboard might give you some additional features you might use like more storage options and more usb and more pcie-5 slots.

Associate
OP
If I wanted a RGB variation of RAM, would the following be the RGB equivalent of which Tetras linked?

Also, maybe the linked PSU is overkill and something else might be more suitable now I've snagged a FE?

My basket at OcUK:
Would the 6000MHz be better buy for £11 more or am I not quite understanding RAM speeds?

My basket at OcUK:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Also, maybe the linked PSU is overkill and something else might be more suitable now I've snagged a FE?
850 would do for a 4080 Super, but the cheapest PSU I consider equivalent that OCUK have in stock is the A850G and that's £140, or Thermaltake's GF3 which is £150. In other words: it doesn't seem worth switching from the prices I can see and since you're building a high-end system here, you might be thankful of the extra headroom one day.

Would the 6000MHz be better buy for £11 more or am I not quite understanding RAM speeds?
Playing at 1440p UW with a 4080 Super and a 7800X3D, you're probably looking at 2-3 fps, so I'd not be bothered, but I didn't choose that Kingston kit for any reason except that it was cheap and the only 'advice' I could really offer you about your build was to make changes that squeezed it into your budget.

Associate
OP
IMG-3778.jpg
Parts arrived and built, ended up going a bit OTT in some places.

Case: Lian Li o11 Dynamic
Mobo: Asus B650E-F
CPU: 7800X3D
RAM: G.Skill Trident 6000 32GB
HD1: 980Pro 1TB
HD2: p5 2TB
GPU: 4080S FE
AIO: Phanteks Glacier One 360
Fans: 3 x D30x 6 x D30 reverse
PSU: Phanteks AMP 1000w

I grabbed a Soundblaster X4 to drive some DT990 Pro, and a Hyper X Solocast microphone.

Corsair mouse pad with a Glorious Model O wireless and a Monsgeek M1W SP which is very nice to use.

Monitor I went with an Alienware AW3423DW. Might chuck this on a monitor arm though, the stand takes up a lot of space.

I've "touchwood" had no issues with the build and set up other than needing to tidy the cables up a bit more. Win 11, BIOS update fine and EXPO running fine.

Overall very impressed and thanks for the help offered here.

Back
Top Bottom