1440p VRR monitor recommendation with built-in KVM

Caporegime
Slightly buggered up my minimal wires (work laptop/main rig with one monitor) solution for my new desk. I wanted a solution to use my keyboard* and mouse, one monitor, main rig and work laptop - being able to switch between rig and laptop.

Wasn't aware some monitors now come with KVM switches and I've got a bunch of gear to sell which should bring the final cost down a fair bit. I'm currently rocking an LG GL27850-B and really like it - just need a good panel, Freesync, 1440p and a good KVM.

*rocking an ageing but good Corsair mechanical keyboard with a big fat wire, so will likely replace it with a wireless mechanical.

Associate
The only limitation I've found with built-in KVM's in monitors is the power delivery really struggles to keep the laptop charged whilst being used. I tried it with a Dell Ultrasharp monitor in 2020 (I think the U24 was the model??) with my work laptop (XPS 15) and for regular emails it was fine but any time I had to do any actual work it would just drain the battery.

But - it does seem like more of the recent monitors have got improved PD with their in-built KVMs.

The M27Q from Gigabyte has a built in KVM - it's 1440p 165/170hz and has just had a version 2 released (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m27q-rev-2-0) which could work for what you want.

It would mean you don't lose anything in terms of resolution and you gain a few hz in refresh rate - and it's a well rated monitor.

Caporegime
OP
Thank you, forgot to consider PD. Saw 18W been thrown around some monitors, laptops needs >60W? Unless I'm reading it wrong, looks like the Gigabyte is 10W of PD?

Associate
Thank you, forgot to consider PD. Saw 18W been thrown around some monitors, laptops needs >60W? Unless I'm reading it wrong, looks like the Gigabyte is 10W of PD?
Yeah, I've just had a bit more of a read into it and found a handy link which displays the PD level. It looks like all of the 'standard' 1440p IPS panels are just 18w of power. Some of the 4k monitors have 90w and then the 1440p OLED monitor from Corsair has 65w. That might be the best bet unless you want to run another cable purely for power to the work laptop.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks again, that OLED is dreamy, but I probably shouldn't be dropping over a G on a monitor :p. Despite saying that though, the Corsair XENEON 27QHD240 looks like it ticks all the boxes. Off to do some research and deal hunting.

Caporegime
Despite saying that though, the Corsair XENEON 27QHD240 looks like it ticks all the boxes.
Just a heads-up, seen one of those in BGrade here. Might be worth making an offer if you can live with the size and can't find a decent price new (and it has the same functionality ofc).

Last edited:
Associate
Tempting indeed, I don't mind refurbs but the 27" is OLED.......decisions
CES is also going on currently so there are more monitors being announced every day. MSI just announced another 27 inch QD-OLED 1440p monitor (360hz) which also has a built in KVM with 90w of PD (https://us.msi.com/Monitor/MPG-271QRX-QD-OLED) so you should have some nice options available!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What a time to want a new monitor. OLED looks so dreamy, LTT just did a video on some of the new screens but importantly noted current gen still offer some great options.

Even if a bit rabbit hole like - I know I definitely don't need a 4K monitor. I'm happy with my 3090 and 1440p is the sweet spot at 27" for me.

Last edited:
Associate
What a time to want a new monitor. OLED looks so dreamy, LTT just did a video on some of the new screens but importantly noted current gen still offer some great options.

Even if a bit rabbit hole like - I know I definitely don't need a 4K monitor. I'm happy with my 3090 and 1440p is the sweet spot at 27" for me.
Yeah, 2024 should be really great for new monitors.

It'll be the second generation OLED monitors so we should hopefully be seeing the issues addressed (text fringing was super common) as well as more ways to avoid any sort of burn in - and now refresh rates are even higher (480hz???) too.

I've held off on upgrading for so long (I use a 1080p 240hz and a 1440p 165hz monitor) and I really fancy moving to an OLED monitor. My only issue is that I really love the 24/25" screen size and I'm not sure we'll be getting anything at that size outside of BenQ's new 500hz TN monitors.

Back
Top Bottom