144hz... Why did I not upgrade sooner?

Soldato
Just chiming in to try and convince those using 60hz still. Don't.

I just upgraded from my old 1440p 60hz IPS panel to a 144hz IPS (Asus ROG PG279q). And what a world of difference, I gave my wife the old monitor to upgrade and the difference is night and day in games such as Overwatch.

What a glorious and huge upgrade. I strongly suggest it.

Useless thread is useless.

Soldato
OP
Same here, I'd likely have to sacrifice UWQHD to get 144 hz unless I was willing to spend the kind of money on it many people would put into buying a used car. I've never seen a game running over 60 hz and would go out of my way to make sure I don't, just in case :p Would hate to get that 'dissatisfied with my own lot' feeling after seeing 144 hz when I'm currently content at 60 hz.

I was content for so long, but for FPS it's mind bogglingly game changing.

Soldato
OP
I have been eyeing up this monitor myself. Currently using a 42" tv as a monitor and have a feeling it's holding me back in online fps games.

What was the backlight bleed like? This seems to be the only real downside of these monitors.

There is a lot of confusion around this, blacklight bleed and IPS panel bleed are 2 different things.

It's really not all that bad. The one I got has a spot in the too right corner, but only noticeable when the image is pitch black and I'm playing in a pitch black environment. They are no worse than LCD monitors in terms of chances of getting a bad one.

Soldato
OP
Furthermore, I was chatting to the wife as she was unconvinced but after seeing the new monitor she said she didn't expect such a obvious difference.

But we were chatting, and whilst the smoothness of the higher panel hz is, the biggest impact for me is Gsync. In nvidia control panel I have Gsync enabled and vsync. Any game I load, I turn off vsync and if my frame rates fluctuate between 70-144 it's still butter smooth, no tearing. Nothing.

THAT is the biggest, we all know the pain when you want to play an RPG and lock your frames to 60 with vsync. A slight dip below and it's a stutter fest. With gsync, not at all. Anddd, NO INPUT LAG!

God this monitor has changed my appetite for gaming. I STRONGLY suggest it to anyone, and if you prefer quality picture, the one I got, being an IPS panel, is sublime, after my previous monitor being IPS, I can't go back to LCD/TN now.

Also, here is a great in depth write up on testing Gsync: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Soldato
OP
If you don't play FPS' that much is it that much of an upgrade? Worth if for third person adventure type games and older stuff?

I play a huge mixture of games, the 144hz is nice for fluidity in FPS games, Gsync is nice in single player more demanding games where if frames are fluctuating betwee 70-144fps, gsync still smooths it out like vsync without tearing which also have no response lag unlike in game vsync.

Most competitive games can play at several hundred fps on a 60hz monitor without vsync and not screen tear. 144hz is great and all but it's mostly for single player.

I think you may misunderstand the tech, it's physically impossible to have 0 screen tear when frames are not in sync with the monitor refresh rate.

As for 144hz being great for SP games only, this is also an odd statement. The much more fluid image is superior (in my opinion obviously) than 60hz. It's truly night and day. Gsync suits SP games, 144hz suits MP FPS.

Soldato
OP
Gaming on my Panasonic 55 HDR UHD oled tv for me is superb. I'll never not own a oled TV now and can't wait for oled gaming monitors. LCD technology is great on phones to big tvs but oled is a different level and I'm Surprised I didn't do it sooner after willy waving my oled phones for years.

I'm so torn! Our apartment is top floor and faces the beach, and annoying that balcony and french doors (HUGE) faces west over the SF bay. So during the evenings we get a LOT of sunlight, I would love OLED as I was a true plasma fan (rip you glorious tech) but I hear it's not not as good in a bright room as the spruced up LCD (QLED). However, in the evenings, I know full well OLED will be truly superior... For both films and games. I can't decide :(

what about for those of us who dont play FPS tho ;)

This 100+ FPS craze so far seems to be tied to FPS gamers.

For me TN is unacceptable as a screen. Granted you can get 144hz IPS now, but those monitors tend to be gsync and have stupid limitations like only displayport as output. I need vga, dvi, and hdmi all supported on one display, alongside IPS as a basic requirement.

As said, gsync is sublime for any other game you're not stressing over to get max fps, I never thought it would be something I'd appreciate but having now seen it in action. I'll never not want it. I play a LOT of RPG's and before I'd stress if I fluctuated on fps causing vsync to stutter. With Gsync, I don't care what FPS I get as it simply syncs and is smooth regardless of FPS fluctuation.

Soldato
OP
Bright direct light isn't oled's friend as obviously its glass front reflects just like plasma. Easy to dissapate direct sun tbh but the beautiful oled screen will blow you away. Sci-fi films and lot of the darker screen shot movies (seems to be a lot thesedays) just look out of this world on my oled TV. You will need to feed the oled tv a nice high bitrate signal and I was taken aback by proper HDR 10 pro (860 nits on my set) [previous tvs have been HDR10(8bit +FRC) about 400 nits max] I understand totally now why people harp on about true HDR as apposed to these 8bit FRC sets. The difference is staggering. Also the screen technology really does protect these sets from burn in. Especially the maintenance settings the new oled sets have. Oled is expensive but it's so worth it (I did get my 55 Panny reduced from full price)

Awesome, having owned plasma for years prior to my current 'make do' TV, I am aware of how to prevent burn in and stuff as well as white washing in the event it happens so that's good. And if it's similar style to plasma in terms of brightness, I may be fine then. We don't have direct sun hitting the screen all the time, when we do, we have black out blinds to stop it so I may just get OLED then.

Soldato
OP
I've got the same monitor as OP. I can't tell the difference between 60 and 144. I only upgraded because people were ranting about how good it was. Just can't tell the difference. I play overwatch as well

First and foremost, set your monitor refresh rate:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-monitor-refresh-rate-windows-10

Secondly, set your Nvidia control panel as follows:

kL3vyjz.jpg

(Source for the above: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/)

Key points, enable 144hz, enable gsync AND vsync in nvidia control panel. Disable Vsync in ALL games and make sure you change the resolution in your games to 2460x1440 144hz, I booted up OW and had to manually change this.

Come back once you've set it up properly.

Soldato
OP
I ended up going for a Acer Predator XB1, which is pretty similar spec to the Asus Rog Swift.

I just have a quick question as I am getting confused about what lead I need. I need a 3m lead to connect to my PC and almost dropped a bollock and ordered a HDMI lead, which I now believe wouldn't work with Gsync? My question is will a 3m Displayport lead work ok for 1440p and 144hz? I keep reading conflicting info that 2m is the longest you can go without boosting the signal?

Anyone that has a 3m lead that can reccomend a brand to go for? Would a Lindy 1.2 blackline cable @ £9.99 suffice? Its not a fancy gold plated one, but seems to be a decent brand compared to all the really cheap ones.

I think a 3m will be fine. It's data signal, I don't get why a 10m would suffer?

Soldato
OP
I have just read it a few times now that people haven't been able to get the full 144hz refresh rate with 3m cables and some of the comments mentioned it might be because its a long cable.

I'm no cable expert, but it's a data signal, not analogue. It'll either work or it won't. Again, I don't know much about cables. For 10 quid, you may as well give it a whirl. Worst case, you have a backup cable should you ever need one.

Back
Top Bottom