144hz... Why did I not upgrade sooner?

Soldato
OP
Gaming on my Panasonic 55 HDR UHD oled tv for me is superb. I'll never not own a oled TV now and can't wait for oled gaming monitors. LCD technology is great on phones to big tvs but oled is a different level and I'm Surprised I didn't do it sooner after willy waving my oled phones for years.

I'm so torn! Our apartment is top floor and faces the beach, and annoying that balcony and french doors (HUGE) faces west over the SF bay. So during the evenings we get a LOT of sunlight, I would love OLED as I was a true plasma fan (rip you glorious tech) but I hear it's not not as good in a bright room as the spruced up LCD (QLED). However, in the evenings, I know full well OLED will be truly superior... For both films and games. I can't decide :(

what about for those of us who dont play FPS tho ;)

This 100+ FPS craze so far seems to be tied to FPS gamers.

For me TN is unacceptable as a screen. Granted you can get 144hz IPS now, but those monitors tend to be gsync and have stupid limitations like only displayport as output. I need vga, dvi, and hdmi all supported on one display, alongside IPS as a basic requirement.

As said, gsync is sublime for any other game you're not stressing over to get max fps, I never thought it would be something I'd appreciate but having now seen it in action. I'll never not want it. I play a LOT of RPG's and before I'd stress if I fluctuated on fps causing vsync to stutter. With Gsync, I don't care what FPS I get as it simply syncs and is smooth regardless of FPS fluctuation.

Soldato
Bright direct light isn't oled's friend as obviously its glass front reflects just like plasma. Easy to dissapate direct sun tbh but the beautiful oled screen will blow you away. Sci-fi films and lot of the darker screen shot movies (seems to be a lot thesedays) just look out of this world on my oled TV. You will need to feed the oled tv a nice high bitrate signal and I was taken aback by proper HDR 10 pro (860 nits on my set) [previous tvs have been HDR10(8bit +FRC) about 400 nits max] I understand totally now why people harp on about true HDR as apposed to these 8bit FRC sets. The difference is staggering. Also the screen technology really does protect these sets from burn in. Especially the maintenance settings the new oled sets have. Oled is expensive but it's so worth it (I did get my 55 Panny reduced from full price)

Soldato
OP
Bright direct light isn't oled's friend as obviously its glass front reflects just like plasma. Easy to dissapate direct sun tbh but the beautiful oled screen will blow you away. Sci-fi films and lot of the darker screen shot movies (seems to be a lot thesedays) just look out of this world on my oled TV. You will need to feed the oled tv a nice high bitrate signal and I was taken aback by proper HDR 10 pro (860 nits on my set) [previous tvs have been HDR10(8bit +FRC) about 400 nits max] I understand totally now why people harp on about true HDR as apposed to these 8bit FRC sets. The difference is staggering. Also the screen technology really does protect these sets from burn in. Especially the maintenance settings the new oled sets have. Oled is expensive but it's so worth it (I did get my 55 Panny reduced from full price)

Awesome, having owned plasma for years prior to my current 'make do' TV, I am aware of how to prevent burn in and stuff as well as white washing in the event it happens so that's good. And if it's similar style to plasma in terms of brightness, I may be fine then. We don't have direct sun hitting the screen all the time, when we do, we have black out blinds to stop it so I may just get OLED then.

Soldato
I was after a oled tv back in early 2016 but the prices were insane. I saw a oled tv in a friend's house and was taken back by the levels of colour, the stunning deep blacks and how bright it actually got (not Samsung uled 1000 nits bright but over 800 nits and that's plenty from a oled tv in a large lounge. Depending on your viewing distance get as big as you can afford. You'll never go back to any other screen technology after a going oled on a TV. Even at 60htz the motion is way smoother than any lcd type of tv I've used (I don't use the soap opera smoothing technology) and I've had many in the last 5 years, more then any sane person. LG make all the panels, and LG oled's are cheaper because they make the panels and Sony are better at motion whereas Panasonic are set up for the ultimate PQ. LG software Web OS is take or leave it. Sony is android so again its, like or don't like and Panasonics is definitely the most out of date in look and operation but I'm after that glorious PQ and side by side I played with a 55 inch LG, Panasonic and Sony. LG was the cheapest at 1500 notes new, the Panasonic was 1700 and the Sony was 1900 notes . Panny took the PQ just and I'm not after the smart features of the tv just the screen and its PQ.
You must try them out before buying as it's a good deal of cash to drop but as youll likely get at least a 5 year warranty with a new TV, it puts your mind to rest. Do not pay sticker price. You want at least £100 quid off if you wave cash in thier face.

Soldato
I've got the same monitor as OP. I can't tell the difference between 60 and 144. I only upgraded because people were ranting about how good it was. Just can't tell the difference. I play overwatch as well

Soldato
I've got the same monitor as OP. I can't tell the difference between 60 and 144. I only upgraded because people were ranting about how good it was. Just can't tell the difference. I play overwatch as well

The difference is significant and easily noticable. Is there a chance that you have not enabled 144hz? You need to change it manually in display settings and maybe you need to enable it on the mintor's settings itself as well?

Soldato
SRS?

BTW, if you have an OLED and you haven't watched Pacific Rim in 4k HDR, do it now. I don't care if you don't like the film... It is... Superlative.

Soldato
OP

First and foremost, set your monitor refresh rate:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-monitor-refresh-rate-windows-10

Secondly, set your Nvidia control panel as follows:

kL3vyjz.jpg

(Source for the above: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/)

Key points, enable 144hz, enable gsync AND vsync in nvidia control panel. Disable Vsync in ALL games and make sure you change the resolution in your games to 2460x1440 144hz, I booted up OW and had to manually change this.

Come back once you've set it up properly.

Caporegime
I think in my case, ignorance is bliss. And it's going to stay that way. It's already bad enough having to drop from 60Hz to 30 to play PS4, I can't imagine what it'd be like then dropping from 120 to 30. Probably feel like treacle.

Soldato
If your locked at 60 FPS then its not too bad. I have a higher refresh rate panel with G-Sync and a 4k TV 60hz panel in other room. Recently switch between the two playing assassins creed Odyssy and have no problem playing at 60hz provided its locked at 60hz, it looks stunning at 4K even at 60hz. Where things are not as great is when you can't hold that 60 FPS IMO. Also most those higher refresh rate panels people on here mention also have adaptive sync which in combination with the higher refresh rate does make things silky smooth even if you cannot hold the very high refresh rate and have a variable framerate. Just my 2 cents.
I
HDR?

Terrible for games though, try a driving game or fps back to back.

If you prefer 4k 60hz over 1440p 144hz you are not a gamer :)

If you game, you are gamer.

If you gatekeep you are a gatekeeper.

Soldato
what about for those of us who dont play FPS tho ;)

This 100+ FPS craze so far seems to be tied to FPS gamers.

For me TN is unacceptable as a screen. Granted you can get 144hz IPS now, but those monitors tend to be gsync and have stupid limitations like only displayport as output. I need vga, dvi, and hdmi all supported on one display, alongside IPS as a basic requirement.

My x34p has completely changed my gaming experience. It’s the single greatest upgrade I’ve ever made; just incredible.

I look at my old monitor and it feels like a horrible smeary mess in comparison, and that’s not forgetting the epicness of 21:9.

I could go back to 60Hz, but I really don’t want to. I don’t play competitive FPS at all, playing MGS5 at the moment.

Soldato
The difference is significant and easily noticable. Is there a chance that you have not enabled 144hz? You need to change it manually in display settings and maybe you need to enable it on the mintor's settings itself as well?
.Yep it's all on. If i turn monitor on after windows is booted it reminds me it's on.

SRS?

BTW, if you have an OLED and you haven't watched Pacific Rim in 4k HDR, do it now. I don't care if you don't like the film... It is... Superlative.
.I've watched it in 1080p i love the film(s)

Wait till we find out he's not set gsync or refresh rate right on his display adapter .....

Yep all on. I'm anal with settings to make thing look or run better.

I might turn it to 60 and see if i notic how bad it is.

Soldato
I've never managed to get HDR to work on Windows, it still looks washed out and flickers no matter what cable is used.

I find it looks washed out on the desktop and will only enable it if playing games with HDR. Have no issues in game however and it looks amazing in titles I have tried it with. No issues with flickering however.

Soldato
I find it looks washed out on the desktop and will only enable it if playing games with HDR. Have no issues in game however and it looks amazing in titles I have tried it with. No issues with flickering however.
Maybe I should buy a better Hdmi cable ? Just hate how the desktop looks. Managed destiny 2 with HDR and 4k that did look a bit too bright

Soldato
Maybe I should buy a better Hdmi cable ? Just hate how the desktop looks. Managed destiny 2 with HDR and 4k that did look a bit too bright

Could try changing cable I suppose. Having a peek at what I have its nothing fancy,just a 3m Rainforest Basic cable for a £5. Yeah desktop does not look great, not so much an issue for myself as this on my HTPC on the big screen which I only fire up for games mostly, but does not look great on desktop.

Soldato
I noticed the difference from 60hz to 100hz, but I was disappointed when I saw a friend's 144hz monitor as to me, I couldn't really notice much difference.

Currently I would not move away from 3440x1440 @ 100hz. For gaming I find the ultrawide experience trumps Hz.

Soldato
Upgrading my PC to 144hz is probably the biggest change I've made in the past 10yrs. I have a 60hz laptop and it takes a good half hour to adjust back to 60hz, playing any shooters at less than 120/144hz is impossible now.

Back
Top Bottom