£1500 portable gaming PC build

Check out the Dell Outlet, you will find some Alienware laptops. In fact, you also get a 15% discount as a student so that is nice also.

Can't find much laptops with a GTX 1080 graphics card. Even the 1070 ones cost over 1000. Furthermore the laptops all seem to be second hand ones. I don't think I'm going to go for a laptop after all.

Last edited:
Can't find much laptops with a GTX 1080 graphics card. Even the 1070 ones cost over 1000. Furthermore the laptops all seem to be second hand ones. I don't think I'm going to go for a laptop after all.
I looked yesterday and there was a few, as it is an outlet you have to keep checking it for new stock. That is fair enough.

What is your plan then? Have a monitor and peripherals at both at uni and home and carry the PC between them?

I've got a Phanteks ITX and tbh, when I'm back for the hols I'll just leave my gear there. Most people I know have done the same. Its not practical unless you drive

I looked yesterday and there was a few, as it is an outlet you have to keep checking it for new stock. That is fair enough.

What is your plan then? Have a monitor and peripherals at both at uni and home and carry the PC between them?

I see. the keyboard and mouse will definitely be carried around since they do not take up too much space, and possibly the monitor too - if it is small enough.

I'm unsure whether my uni allows me to keep the monitor in my room, as they rent the rooms out for conference during the holidays. However I might be able to store it via a locker service. Also it does require me buying 2 monitors. xD (since I have a laptop currently)

I've got a Phanteks ITX and tbh, when I'm back for the hols I'll just leave my gear there. Most people I know have done the same. Its not practical unless you drive

Yeah I guess. But my terms are very short (3 terms of 8 weeks each) so if I left it at my uni I wouldn't have access to it for the majority of the year! xD

Plus with accommodation changes each year gonna have to carry it around anyways :c

Ah okay, many thanks :)

However, I've found another version of the card which was the 'reference blower' for 30 pounds cheaper, and the stats on both of those cards are identical. There's also an EVGA version of the Founder's edition for 30 pounds extra. What's the difference between those 3 cards?

Also is it worth it cutting down the SSD to 120GB and HDD to 1TB, and upgrade the memory to 32GB?

Furthermore is this case okay too for this build?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-metis-windowed-blue-mini-itx-case-ca-008-rt.html
as I didn't find the ultra slim case nice to look at.

The reference blowers tend to be a the much older blower cooler and are louder than the founders version. I would spend the extra £30 to be honest.

I wouldnt drop the storage space either. 120GB is tight for an OS drive these days unless you want to micromanage it all the time. 1TB wont go far either by the time you have 10-20 games installed, some modern ones are knocking on for 80GB a game.

32GB of RAM is overkill unless you have some specific need for it. If you can't explain in detail the reason you need 32GB of ram, you probably dont need 32GB of ram.

The other case should be fine, but I can't see how it would fit your suitcase requirement?

The reference blowers tend to be a the much older blower cooler and are louder than the founders version. I would spend the extra £30 to be honest.

I wouldnt drop the storage space either. 120GB is tight for an OS drive these days unless you want to micromanage it all the time. 1TB wont go far either by the time you have 10-20 games installed, some modern ones are knocking on for 80GB a game.

32GB of RAM is overkill unless you have some specific need for it. If you can't explain in detail the reason you need 32GB of ram, you probably dont need 32GB of ram.

The other case should be fine, but I can't see how it would fit your suitcase requirement?

Ah thanks for the help

The dimension of that case isn't very big either and it'll comfortably fit inside my suitcase :)

Last edited:

What about the EVGA one then, am I literally paying £30 extra for the brand whereas the card is identical?

And also the case you suggested said the CPU cooler is limited to 58mm, yet the cooler's dimension was 97mm x 97mm x 47mm. Would it fit in this case?

Last edited:
Guys as the case contains 2 x 2.5'' bays, is it wise to have one for the SSD and one for the HDD? I'm thinking of getting the two below:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-250gb-850-evo-ssd-2.5-sata-6gbps-32-layer-3d-v-nand-solid-state-drive-mz-75e250b-eu-hd-191-sa.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...2.5-for-pc-and-ps4-st2000lx001-hd-374-se.html

Would they both be compatible?
Yes they will both be good and are compatible.

Have you built a PC before out of interest?

Back
Top Bottom