16 Personalities

Associate
I don't need you to go into any detail, the test is nonsense. If it is no more effective for your purpose than some other rather arbitrary method of selection then it would seem it isn't the test itself that has anything to do with it nor can be said to be effective at anything. I mean if you rolled some dice perhaps would you claim the dice were effective at guiding some decisions? Or that the dice were driving high performance for you etc...?

If it were no more accurate than an arbitrary method then you'd be correct, but I doubt that's the case. I don't doubt that it has its shortcomings (as I feel any psychoanalytical tool will, due to the infinitely complex nature of the human mind) but enough people find it helpful that you can't just write it off as completely random and useless. Bear in mind that it's based on the work of Carl Jung, who was a respected psychoanalyst. There might be legitimate criticism to be levelled at the interpretation that resulted in the MBTI structure, but you're giving it far harsher treatment than that.

Soldato
I don't need you to go into any detail, the test is nonsense. If it is no more effective for your purpose than some other rather arbitrary method of selection then it would seem it isn't the test itself that has anything to do with it nor can be said to be effective at anything. I mean if you rolled some dice perhaps would you claim the dice were effective at guiding some decisions? Or that the dice were driving high performance for you etc...?

Your enduring and persistent desire to argue for argument's sake really does undermine your credibility when you have a good point to make. Feel free to have the last word. I won't be reading.

Caporegime
Your enduring and persistent desire to argue for argument's sake really does undermine your credibility when you have a good point to make. Feel free to have the last word. I won't be reading.

I'm not arguing for argument's sake, I'm highlighting that the test is bunk and basing decisions on it is silly, sorry if the reality of it offends you after having admitted to using it in business. If you feel that disagreeing with me one in one area changes your perception on my view or argument in another subject then that's your own blind spot tbh.. I'm more interested in views/arguments than a poster puts forwards rather than whether some poster has disagreed with me in some other thread previously.

If it were no more accurate than an arbitrary method then you'd be correct, but I doubt that's the case. I don't doubt that it has its shortcomings (as I feel any psychoanalytical tool will, due to the infinitely complex nature of the human mind) but enough people find it helpful that you can't just write it off as completely random and useless. Bear in mind that it's based on the work of Carl Jung, who was a respected psychoanalyst. There might be legitimate criticism to be levelled at the interpretation that resulted in the MBTI structure, but you're giving it far harsher treatment than that.

People believing that it is helpful doesn't mean it actually is!

As for being "based on the work of Carl Jung" if I were to read some stuff by a famous psychologist then come up with my own test do you then argue for the validity of my test on the fact it is based on some stuff I read by a famous psychologist?

This is a test created 100 years ago by a housewife (who incidentally was also into writing erotic fiction about Jung) and her home schooled daughter, neither of whom were psychologists. It has been widely panned by psychologists for numerous reasons (plenty of articles on the topic out there) and isn't taken seriously... aside from in the business world by people who seemingly don't know any better - HR personnel etc.. quite possibly because it just involves a simple test and gives some clear results (regardless of whether those results actually serve any useful purpose) and some people become true believers of it thanks perhaps, in part, to the effect mentioned by another poster earlier: the Barnum Effect.

Associate
As for being "based on the work of Carl Jung" if I were to read some stuff by a famous psychologist then come up with my own test do you then argue for the validity of my test on the fact it is based on some stuff I read by a famous psychologist?

That depends on how much I thought you'd screwed up your interpretation. You'd have to try pretty hard to start out with something credible and end up with complete rubbish, although I'm sure it's possible.

To clarify, I'm referring more to the personality types defined by the MBTI structure than the test. As far as I'm aware the tests available online aren't exactly the original questions anyway, but I'm sure there is some level of inaccuracy in the results.

Anyway I'll leave it there. This thread was supposed to be for fun and I can tell you're not willing to consider any other points of view on the matter.

Soldato
Where my protagonists at?
Seems pretty accurate to me!
Protagonist
ENFJ-A
Strengths & Weaknesses
Protagonist Strengths
diplomats_Protagonist_ENFJ_strengths.svg

• Tolerant – Protagonists are true team players, and they recognize that that means listening to other peoples’ opinions, even when they contradict their own. They admit they don’t have all the answers, and are often receptive to dissent, so long as it remains constructive.
  • Reliable – The one thing that galls Protagonists the most is the idea of letting down a person or cause they believe in. If it’s possible, Protagonists can always be counted on to see it through.
  • Charismatic – Charm and popularity are qualities Protagonists have in spades. They instinctively know how to capture an audience, and pick up on mood and motivation in ways that allow them to communicate with reason, emotion, passion, restraint – whatever the situation calls for. Talented imitators, Protagonists are able to shift their tone and manner to reflect the needs of the audience, while still maintaining their own voice.
  • Altruistic – Uniting these qualities is Protagonists’ unyielding desire to do good in and for their communities, be it in their own home or the global stage. Warm and selfless, Protagonists genuinely believe that if they can just bring people together, they can do a world of good.
  • Natural Leaders – More than seeking authority themselves, Protagonists often end up in leadership roles at the request of others, cheered on by the many admirers of their strong personality and positive vision.
Protagonist Weaknesses
diplomats_Protagonist_ENFJ_weaknesses.svg

• Overly Idealistic – People with the Protagonist personality type can be caught off guard as they find that, through circumstance or nature, or simple misunderstanding, people fight against them and defy the principles they’ve adopted, however well-intentioned they may be. They are more likely to feel pity for this opposition than anger, and can earn a reputation of naïveté.
  • Too Selfless – Protagonists can bury themselves in their hopeful promises, feeling others’ problems as their own and striving hard to meet their word. If they aren’t careful, they can spread themselves too thin, and be left unable to help anyone.
  • Too Sensitive – While receptive to criticism, seeing it as a tool for leading a better team, it’s easy for Protagonists to take it a little too much to heart. Their sensitivity to others means that Protagonists sometimes feel problems that aren’t their own and try to fix things they can’t fix, worrying if they are doing enough.
  • Fluctuating Self-Esteem – Protagonists define their self-esteem by whether they are able to live up to their ideals, and sometimes ask for criticism more out of insecurity than out of confidence, always wondering what they could do better. If they fail to meet a goal or to help someone they said they’d help, their self-confidence will undoubtedly plummet.
  • Struggle to Make Tough Decisions – If caught between a rock and a hard place, Protagonists can be stricken with paralysis, imagining all the consequences of their actions, especially if those consequences are humanitarian.

Associate
INTJ or INFJ. Tests put me on 51/49 or 49/51 for Feeling/Thinking and it does swap around every time I'm asked to do this test. Making me an Architect or Advocate, accurate to an extent I would say.

Caporegime
Anyway I'll leave it there. This thread was supposed to be for fun and I can tell you're not willing to consider any other points of view on the matter.

Well it isn’t really about points of view tbh... I mean you can give me a POV that denies climate change or a POV that believes in horoscopes... I’m not going to pay much attention to it without some really strong argument/new evidence etc... as it is likely just guff.

Yup I realise this is a fun thread, I’ll probably leave it there, it’s just worth pointing out that this stuff is nonsense in case people were unaware.

I heard a rumour that if you repeat 'NLP' five times into a mirror your knob turns brown and Asim18 appears holding a bottle of bleach and a MAC-10.

:D

Soldato
Mediator

• Idealistic – Mediators’ friends and loved ones will come to admire and depend on them for their optimism. Their unshaken belief that all people are inherently good, perhaps simply misunderstood, lends itself to an incredibly resilient attitude in the face of hardship.
  • Seek and Value Harmony – People with the Mediator personality type have no interest in having power over others, and don’t much care for domineering attitudes at all. They prefer a more democratic approach, and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.
  • Open-Minded and Flexible – A live-and-let-live attitude comes naturally to Mediators, and they dislike being constrained by rules. Mediators give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, they’ll support others’ right to do what they think is right.
  • Very Creative – Mediators combine their visionary nature with their open-mindedness to allow them to see things from unconventional perspectives. Being able to connect many far-flung dots into a single theme, it’s no wonder that many Mediators are celebrated poets and authors.
  • Passionate and Energetic – When something captures Mediators’ imagination and speaks to their beliefs, they go all in, dedicating their time, energy, thoughts and emotions to the project. Their shyness keeps them from the podium, but they are the first to lend a helping hand where it’s needed.
  • Dedicated and Hard-Working – While others focusing on the challenges of the moment may give up when the going gets tough, Mediators (especially Assertive ones) have the benefit of their far-reaching vision to help them through. Knowing that what they are doing is meaningful gives people with this personality type a sense of purpose and even courage when it comes to accomplishing something they believe in.
Mediator Weaknesses

• Too Idealistic – Mediators often take their idealism too far, setting themselves up for disappointment as, again and again, evil things happen in the world. This is true on a personal level too, as Mediators may not just idealize their partners, but idolize them, forgetting that no one is perfect.
  • Too Altruistic – Mediators sometimes see themselves as selfish, but only because they want to give so much more than they are able to. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, as they try to push themselves to commit to a chosen cause or person, forgetting to take care of the needs of others in their lives, and especially themselves.
  • Impractical – When something captures Mediators’ imagination, they can neglect practical matters like day-to-day maintenance and simple pleasures. Sometimes people with the Mediator personality type will take this asceticism so far as to neglect eating and drinking as they pursue their passion or cause.
  • Dislike Dealing With Data – Mediators are often so focused on the big picture that they forget the forest is made of individual trees. Mediators are in tune with emotions and morality, and when the facts and data contradict their ideals, it can be a real challenge for them.
  • Take Things Personally – Mediators often take challenges and criticisms personally, rather than as inspiration to reassess their positions. Avoiding conflict as much as possible, Mediators will put a great deal of time and energy into trying to align their principles and the criticisms into a middle ground that satisfies everybody.
  • Difficult to Get to Know – Mediators are private, reserved and self-conscious. This makes them notoriously difficult to really get to know, and their need for these qualities contributes to the guilt they often feel for not giving more of themselves to those they care about

I'm yet to find one of these that is accurate to someone like myself with borderline personality disorder. That first line is completely wrong for me, people are generally selfish and I can easily write people off. I don't need hassle in my life.

It's almost as if there is more than one personality in here, one hand I'll go out of my way to help people, on the other, I dislike a lot of people and rarely want to be around them. I can give great advise and get people to see the best, I'm also a pessimist. I'm happiest out in the wilderness.

I adapt to the situation and the person I am dealing with to do whatever needs doing. I don't really know who I am and the only time I'm really happy is with my kids away from tech.

Caporegime
Took this test the other week, came out as Mediator. Some of the questions are extremely vague.

Same

Infp-a
With strong I And even stronger P

The T/F is close and N/S is close.

Which is guess is correct. I dream of being adventurous, and I struggle with having to do all the things (own a house, have a pension etc) so feel trapped I guess.

The label isn't great unless you fall strongly in the relative letters ,but it isn't the worse.

Soldato
Done these before a few times I’m an INTP. Also generally of the opinion that it’s guff.

Did it again just for you... INTP-T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom