1660 Super alternatives

Associate
I've budgeted around £200 for the GPU for my friends' sons' build but she said she could go another £20 if it was something I thought was worth it.

I'm torn between the MSI 1660 Super Ventus XS OC which I've heard is great but it can be loud at idle and louder/coil whine when under load. And the Zotac 1660 Super which I've seen plenty recommend but I've never bought anything Zotac before, are they good?

For reference he wants to play COD, Fortnite etc and record and stream gameplay
I've already bought the MSI B450 Mortar Max mobo

Man of Honour
Zotac make good cards but one of the biggest points is they offer a 5 year warranty if registered within 30 days. All others only offer a max of 3 years depending on manufacturer.

Associate
OP
Zotac make good cards but one of the biggest points is they offer a 5 year warranty if registered within 30 days. All others only offer a max of 3 years depending on manufacturer.
Wow, that's quite the promise, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that before.

I don't think people even keep their cards for 5 years before upgrading them :D

Man of Honour
Wow, that's quite the promise, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that before.

I don't think people even keep their cards for 5 years before upgrading them :D
Hopefully you'll never need it but it's a bonus, I have a zotac gpu and love it.

Just check out reviews of the card you want.

Associate
OP
I'm not finding any dual fan 1660 supers available at the mo and I'm getting paranoid that time is ticking on when I need this before christmas

What are my alternatives to a 1660 super? I was looking at the 5500 XT 8GB, is that a lot worse than the 1660 super?

The rest of the build is
2600x
16gb 3200mhz
550w psu
b450m mortar max
512gb ssd

He wants to play/record/stream COD Cold War and I think he has a 1440 monitor

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If he's playing at 1440p then get the single fan if that's all that's available as you want the strongest gpu you can afford.

Do you think a single fan could keep it cool enough? The case isn't huge and I can do my best with cable management but I don't want to end up with a hot/noisy PC either

I know his monitor is 1440 but whether he plays at that I don't know. He's only 11 so maybe hasn't got into all that yet.

Soldato
5500xt is rubbish.

I have found a couple of 1650 non super, a rx 580 (slower, uses more power) and not much more available :(

Its a really bad time to be trying to buy a gpu :(

Associate
OP
5500xt is rubbish.

I have found a couple of 1650 non super, a rx 580 (slower, uses more power) and not much more available :(

Its a really bad time to be trying to buy a gpu :(

I'm trying second hand see how I get on but I hate the thought of something going wrong and not being able to just send it back or anything. Other than that would the 1650/1650 super be the next best bet to look for?

Associate
Most places seem to be get older gpu stock mid December, so if it can wait, get those. A competitor has them on preorder.

Associate
OP
I feel like if I put a preorder in now I'd be so far at the back of the queue. Even ones on the bay are taking a week to auction and then it'd have to get here. I'd planned on getting it done 1-2 weeks before christmas to allow for fine tuning with temps/fans and the probability of me forgetting a cable or this case being too small lol

Man of Honour
I feel like if I put a preorder in now I'd be so far at the back of the queue. Even ones on the bay are taking a week to auction and then it'd have to get here. I'd planned on getting it done 1-2 weeks before christmas to allow for fine tuning with temps/fans and the probability of me forgetting a cable or this case being too small lol
B grade items at overclockers have a 90 day warranty it mite be worth s consideration. This card you mite able to get less vat, that's what I would offer them but not a penny more.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-5az-gi.html

Discuss the situation with your friend and your concerns about the gpu situation.

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom