• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1660ti vs 2060 on 1440p?

Associate
Ok so i have decided i want to stick with Nvidia, i know the Vega 56 is a good option but i dont like how hot and power hungry it is, i like a nice silent efficient machine, well i want that to offset this Ryzen cpu. So im sticking with Nvidia. I had to return my Gigabyte windforce 2060 due to noisy fans so im getting a refund but now im wondering if maybe a 1660ti would be a better option as i could save about £80 and get a nice 1660ti. I dont play a LOT of demanding games, monster hunter world, WoW, a bit of anthem/farcry (new one) and the odd new game here and there. I run 1440p. I wonder what you guys think, is the extra £80 worth it for the performance boost? Im leaning towards a 2060, maybe the cheaper MSI version as MSI seem to have quiet fans. Any input would be great.

Soldato
6-way 2060 review:

You can definitely go with the 1660ti as well, there's not a big gap between the 2, and the 60tis will be quieter to boot. It's really down to whether you care about RTX or not.

Associate
OP
6-way 2060 review:

You can definitely go with the 1660ti as well, there's not a big gap between the 2, and the 60tis will be quieter to boot. It's really down to whether you care about RTX or not.
From what i have seen the 2060 doesnt really have enough power to even use the RTX features so its a bit of a ruined technology unless you go for the 2070/2080. It seems the 1660ti is about 10% slower on average, i wonder if thats work £80 extra.....

Soldato
Associate
OP
Soldato
Yeh the Ventus, it seems like the same fan design so i wonder if its as effective, its a lot cheaper, i would be more likely to spend that instead of £380 on the gaming Z
It may have the same fans but may not have the same heat sink. I dont know tbh. The 2070 gaming z has a massive triple slot heat sink for example. I did a quick google but couldn’t find any thing concrete. Could be worth an email to msi.

Soldato
personally I think the 1080ti is the level of performance for 1440p which would mean either a RTX 2080 for 1440p or a very well clocking 2070 on games optimised for turing. The 2060 is probably just a good 1080p card or 1200p.

Soldato
I was looking at the Sapphire Vega 56 again, its £100 less than the 2060 but i really dont want a hot and noisy gfx card, does anyone know how it is in that regard?

This one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ess-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html
I briefly had one and the fans were very quiet, spinning at about 1300-1400RPM whilst keeping it below 70 degrees. That was with an undervolt though, albeit one that still allowed a slight overclock (didn't get into tweaking it properly, as I only had it for 24 hours). The memory can also just be put up to 950MHz without touching anything else for a free performance bump. Vega needs some tweaking in WattMan to get the best out of it. If you're not really interested in spending a little time getting it running at peak efficiency, Nvidia's cards are "idiotproof" out of the box, since they're pretty much forcibly undervolted as standard these days.

Sadly, the B-stock one I tried had obviously been returned thanks to screeching coil whine, so I had to send it back. Sounded like a swarm of bees inside my system. That's going to be sample-dependent though and can be a problem regardless of model or brand if you have bad luck. At worst you could just return it within 14 days if you don't get on with it.

Soldato
I was looking at the Sapphire Vega 56 again, its £100 less than the 2060 but i really dont want a hot and noisy gfx card, does anyone know how it is in that regard?

This one

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ess-graphics-card-11276-02-40g-gx-38f-sp.html
I had that card and when undervolted it does run quiet and is a big improvement over stock but I wouldn’t say it was silent by some margin.

You do have to pay a premium for silence. When the 1080 was released I went for a cheap model but should have got a 1070 with a decent cooler for the same price as it was just too noisy.

Soldato
I wish people would stop with the hot and power hungry angle. With a few tweaks Vega is not that card if you do a few tweaks. It's not that card if you buy a decent model. My 64 uses no fan when not gaming so is silent. In games it not loud either without tweaks especially if you use a headset like the majority. No tweakes my card runs in the 60's which ain't bad.

Soldato
I wish people would stop with the hot and power hungry angle. With a few tweaks Vega is not that card if you do a few tweaks. It's not that card if you buy a decent model. My 64 uses no fan when not gaming so is silent. In games it not loud either without tweaks especially if you use a headset like the majority. No tweakes my card runs in the 60's which ain't bad.
One thing I’ve learnt is people have different versions of ‘silent’. Yes you can tweak Vega. I know I’ve done it. But you can only go so far with it hence why the majority as you say wear a headset. Enough said really;)

Associate
OP
One thing I’ve learnt is people have different versions of ‘silent’. Yes you can tweak Vega. I know I’ve done it. But you can only go so far with it hence why the majority as you say wear a headset. Enough said really;)
Yeh see my idea of silent is silent, I spent a fortune getting my PC to be VERY quiet, so much so my storage HDD is the noisiest part of my system, my current MSI GTX780 runs SILENT at about 30% fan speed at idle, i just want a card that can do that.

Back
Top Bottom