169...IP Address..

Associate
Hi

Currently have an issue with a laptop on my home network, for some reason Windows keeps assiging it a 169.xxx.xxx.xx IP address as it cannot seem to get one from the DHCP server.

I've tried:

> ipconfig /release (& renew)
> uninstalling/re-installing the network adapter
> upgrading driver softare for the network adapter

Still have had no joy, have a various laptops/smartphones currently on the network without an issue. I guess i could try assigning the laptop a static IP address but that would only work temporarily (because of the DHCP).

Any suggestions on what else i could try? Could it be an issue with the NIC?

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Are you connecting wired-ly or wireless?

You could assign a static IP but it could be permanent work around as long as you reconfigure the DHCP server to not assign that address either by adjusting the DHCP range or using a reservation which some more advanced systems support.

You could run services.msc and check that DHCP client services is set to automatic start.

Associate
Hi

Currently have an issue with a laptop on my home network, for some reason Windows keeps assiging it a 169.xxx.xxx.xx IP address as it cannot seem to get one from the DHCP server.

I've tried:

> ipconfig /release (& renew)
> uninstalling/re-installing the network adapter
> upgrading driver softare for the network adapter

Still have had no joy, have a various laptops/smartphones currently on the network without an issue. I guess i could try assigning the laptop a static IP address but that would only work temporarily (because of the DHCP).

Any suggestions on what else i could try? Could it be an issue with the NIC?

Have you checked to see if the DHCP server has enough free leases? Pools are quite small on home networks out the box - I've even seen pools of 10 hosts which isn't a lot with wifi mobiles, games consoles etc...

If I assign a static address I put it at an IP outside the DHCP pool range (I have it set to 50 addresses. This means I don't worry about putting a reservation in, nor have to then extend the pool.

Soldato
Check the DHCP to see if there are enough spare IP's in it's pool
Check the DHCP server is see if it's generating any errors. (if you can)
Check the event logs on the client to see if there is anything showing about DHCP client
Flush the ARP cache on the DHCP server (if you can or reboot it if it's a router).

Back
Top Bottom