16TB WD Elements

Went for 16TB Elements, I have literally no space. From reading all drives are noisy hopefully this one is acceptable.

I could wait for 16TB SSD but I think I'll be waiting a while..

i have a large number of WD drives of varying sizes which i have shucked and work fine in a NAS.. granted not a 16, but 12 and 14 work fine... then again in terms of noise.. aren't most external drives using 5400rpm rather than the 7200rpm variants

Last edited:
The last 8TBs I shucked were 5640RPM, same as WD Red Plus 8TB. I'll check my un-shucked 18TB later.

<Later> The Elements 18TB contains a WD180EDGZ which is 7200RPM.

Last edited:
From what I gather these are not the best noise wise however if kept out of earshot, wont be an issue

The last 8TBs I shucked were 5640RPM, same as WD Red Plus 8TB. I'll check my un-shucked 18TB later.

<Later> The Elements 18TB contains a WD180EDGZ which is 7200RPM.

As I found with all my 10 and 14TB WD shucks, the firmware limited the performance to 5400RPM speeds. Maybe they've stopped the practice with the newer drives, what are the R/W speeds? If its 220-230 or so rather than 270-280 then you've got a Firmware limited drive...

There was a SMART trick with my drives that if you ran a SMART test, you'd suddenly get 270MB/sec, compared to the normal 220MB/sec. For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarde...ite_label_12tb_and_14tb_drives_get_30_faster/

Replaced all the drives with Seagate instead as absolutely pointless having a 7200RPM drive, with its power draw (and noise, not that I cared about that with the server in a cupboard) yet limited to 5400RPM speeds, worst of both worlds...!

Last edited:
Didn't WD get fined for misleading information about drives.. something to do with CMR and SRM or something

Yeah it's pretty damn loud doing benchmark test on Synology Nas and random access is mega loud and rattling the Nas case.

16tb is a bit louder than the 8tb

I'll try the second drive in the Nas, a wd elements 8tb and post inages

Benchmark takes a while

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom