1700BHP per Tonne 1000BHP K20 Turbo Atom

Permabanned
OP
Can you actually put the power down lol
The guy that owns it can, this is just a little drive by the mechanic that maintains it for the owner.
The owner has won basically everything at Ten Of The Best, it's hilarious though it spins the wheels inside the tyres, it has markings on the rim/tyre and you can see in that video, the tyres moved :eek: :cry:

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I am unconvinced it will beat an F1 car around a lap but in a straight line with more power and less weight why not.
Either way it's the fastest Atom in the world, the last was 650bhp in murica, pretty cool regardless that it's a road going car, the owner has a decent selection of track cars, so it definitely gets driven properly.

I gave you a lil shout out in my MITX build thread btw ;) that's where your rams gone mate ;)

Soldato
Just watched the video, silly car but I'm not sure I'd condone what they were doing with it on the road.... that was an accident waiting to happen and entirely irresponsible. Damn I'm getting old....

There is no way that would beat an F1 car round a track, not even Monza. Sure it might do it in a straight line if it was long enough as the F1 car will launch a lot better but that's largely down the the drag the F1 car will have on it and will hit it's top speed very quickly.

Edit: The McMurtry would beat it IMO, until it hit it's top speed or ran out of batteries. The Atom may come back over the 1/2 mile but its sort of just a willy waving contest at that point, it would never get the power down out of a corner.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Just watched the video, silly car but I'm not sure I'd condone what they were doing with it on the road.... that was an accident waiting to happen and entirely irresponsible. Damn I'm getting old....

There is no way that would beat an F1 car round a track, not even Monza. Sure it might do it in a straight line if it was long enough as the F1 car will launch a lot better but that's largely down the the drag the F1 car will have on it and will hit it's top speed very quickly.

Edit: The McMurtry would beat it IMO, until it hit it's top speed or ran out of batteries. The Atom may come back over the 1/2 mile but its sort of just a willy waving contest at that point, it would never get the power down out of a corner.
A lot of stock Atom's do 2.6 to 60 stock, and the 3 second 60 320bhp models do a 11.2 quarter, so a 1005bhp one properly setup is going to go very well, but yeah I agree with your points, however the 200kg weight factor+power, when driven by a professional driver, will be good to see.

Soldato
It’s also pointless blurring the plates, they literally state who owns the car and who was driving it like an idiot. The rozzers know exactly where to knock.

Permabanned
OP
It’s also pointless blurring the plates, they literally state who owns the car and who was driving it like an idiot. The rozzers know exactly where to knock.
I like it when they think putting an emoji face in place of their head makes it not provable - despite wearing the same clothes in the previous shot when driving normally showing their face :cry:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
A fast car for sure, but F1 fast?

I think from an armchair perspective most people have this vague notional idea that an F1 car is just little bit faster than what they imagine a properly fast road car to be but they aren't, they are on another planet.

I am fortunate to have driven a proper F1 simulator at an actual F1 team's factory and all I did was embarrass myself really but it massively opened my eyes as to how insanely fast they truly are. I did a few laps of Silverstone and coming out of The Loop, by the time you're at Aintree you are going faster than most road cars can go and faster than most performance cars are going at the other end of the straight at 150mph. Also, the apex speed of The Loop is about 60mph and the two corners are only about 150m apart, so that's 90mph gained in 150m while the car is mostly turning! Then, when you get to the other end of the straight you need to brake for Brooklands. The way they shed speed under braking defies belief. I was amazed to be told I was only using about 30-40% of the brakes and to brake much much harder - tricky when you feel like you're already pressing the brake as hard as you are physically able! Even so, the next problem is being able to downshift fast enough to not bin the car. I was 10s off the pace toward the end, which I was told was 'respectable' but I'm pretty sure they were sugar-coating the truth a bit :D

I've driven a fair few extremely fast and capable cars, including an Atom and some Formula cars but nothing has held a candle to the ridiculous speed of that F1 sim. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that Atom, even with 1000bhp, was 30+ seconds per lap slower than an F1 car around Silverstone.

P.S. The F1 games feel like those old Outrun machines in comparison to the team's sims...

Soldato
I think from an armchair perspective most people have this vague notional idea that an F1 car is just little bit faster than what they imagine a properly fast road car to be but they aren't, they are on another planet.
I can't find the video I was looking for, but this one is also a good illustration

Eau Rouge at Spa F1 cars overlaid with GT cars

Correct me if in wrong, but I believe a lot of supercars aren't far off F1 cars now in terms of outright speed, but miles off in terms of cornering and braking speeds.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sometimes used to see an Atom on my commute (on nice days). They aren't like a car, even stock they are superbike quick.

In a similar way, I think the old 00s and earlier F1 cars were actually quicker in a straight line as they were much lighter with more power. But the modern ones have insane cornering speeds, which means they lap quicker.

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Correct me if in wrong, but I believe a lot of supercars aren't far off F1 cars now in terms of outright speed, but miles off in terms of cornering and braking speeds.

In terms of outright top speed given an infinitely long runway? F1 cars are obviously limited by the length of the straights on tracks - at Monza they are hitting 220mph but I think Bottas holds the outright speed record for an F1 race at about 230mph. The Veyron was faster than that and that's pretty long in the tooth now and the Bugatti Chiron is over 300mph. The bulk of the rest of the cars that have a top speed over 230mph are hypercars simply due to the amount of power you need to go that fast. F1 cars are draggier than that and have less power so it is no surprise that they don't have outright top speed. That said, I wouldn't bet against an F1 car set up for outright lap times achieving a faster top speed around a circuit like Silverstone than even a 300mph+ Chiron just due to the space limitations. I think that's around 200mph...

At the top speed event I participated in at Elvington a while back, I was hitting just under 190mph over a standing mile. A 720S with the additional 100bhp and slightly slippier aero was hitting around 204mph. A 1000bhp-tuned 720S was at 226mph and was the fastest thing there by a country mile. Most of the 'common' premium supercars like 720S, F8 Tributo, 296GTB, Aventador etc were right around that 200mph mark. At supercarfest, with a rolling start but a much shorter runway, cracking 200mph was the preserve of only the very fastest hypercars.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I sometimes used to see an Atom on my commute (on nice days). They aren't like a car, even stock they are superbike quick.

In a similar way, I think the old 00s and earlier F1 cars were actually quicker in a straight line as they were much lighter with more power. But the modern ones have insane cornering speeds, which means they lap quicker.
Yeah, they range from 0-60 in 2.6-3 seconds depending on the year/model and 595kg, then times that by 3 nearly 4 times the power, this being 1005bhp, it'll be rapid driven by someone that can properly drive it (like the owner that does track days with multiple tasty cars that he owns, who wasn't in the video) or a professional driver.

Not saying it'd beat an F1 car though. But will make for decent viewing and regardless it's still fast as **** haha!

Back
Top Bottom