1930s Semi Refurb - Part 13A of ... (Workshop Upgrades - Gym?)

Soldato
Hi folks,

I am hanging my tools up for a little while (2nd kid arriving in the next 3-5 weeks), but keen to keep something low-effort but high impact ticking over. I have a 12.8 x 2.93 space to work with, with a "garage vibe" in the front 3rd with a pit, then a workshop/storage vibe in the second 3rd, and then the final 3rd has just become a dumping ground.

Ultimately I think it'll be a space for a smiths machine. It does get quite cold in here though, and dust/crud from the workshop can make its way over (I think I am going to buy a dedicated shop vac for in here, often the main vac is by the job site).

Broadly, I am thinking I clear out everything, including the old workbench/MDF tool board (a bit sacrilege as I like 'heritage' things like that) and then do......something. Is it worth DPC'ing and fully separating the space? Insulating? Boarding out? Putting a ceiling in?*

Thoughts? Thanks!

309wlny.jpeg

*I am planning on swapping the roof in the 3-5 year time horizon and adding solar.

Mega space that. The OCD in me says yes to all of the above!!

I’d definitely consider how you plan for the roof - bearing in mind the weight and number of panels. I’m aiming to do something similar on a 7x4 slab on which currently stands a lean to conservatory.

Almost a shame to cover up the quite tidy looking roof trusses with board and insulation!

But well jelly. I’ve got two bathrooms and another 5 fire doors before I can even contemplate the garage / workshop / bike storage.

Best of luck with the tiny human!

Smith machine is for plebs, go for a proper squat rack stand. (Smith machine fixed range of motion is not a great movement if it's not accompanied with lots of other kit)

Id certainly want it insulated but to be honest for the cost of a gym membership I just prefer going to the gym with all the equipment there vs a cold shed vibe :D

Last edited:
All the best with your second kid. :cool:

Smith machine is great for solo body building but I agree with the above, go for a power rack (decent one, not a cheap ass Ebay special) and set the height correctly etc and you'll be fine.

Probably bang in a cheap Chinese diesel heater rather than insulate etc. cheap to buy and run, set up timers etc for before you workout.

Smith machine can have advantages too, do you plan to squat and dead?

What is your normal workout routine?

If no squat and dead, a bench and dumbbells is another great option - but dumbbells aren't cheap.

Last edited:
Smith machine can have advantages too, do you plan to squat and dead?

What is your normal workout routine?

If no squat and dead, a bench and dumbbells is another great option - but dumbbells aren't cheap.
My work out routine is I didn't know smiths and power rack were different :) So nothing! I will be starting at 0.
Probably bang in a cheap Chinese diesel heater rather than insulate etc. cheap to buy and run, set up timers etc for before you workout.
Would that do the full 13x3m building? I like the idea of leaving the walls as they are, and I know I'll have issues insulating and joining up the DPC that's already there etc. So just whacking heat in sounds good :D

Id certainly want it insulated but to be honest for the cost of a gym membership I just prefer going to the gym with all the equipment there vs a cold shed vibe :D
Am not a gym bro, do not like gyms :D

Mega space that. The OCD in me says yes to all of the above!!

I’d definitely consider how you plan for the roof - bearing in mind the weight and number of panels. I’m aiming to do something similar on a 7x4 slab on which currently stands a lean to conservatory.

Almost a shame to cover up the quite tidy looking roof trusses with board and insulation!

But well jelly. I’ve got two bathrooms and another 5 fire doors before I can even contemplate the garage / workshop / bike storage.

Best of luck with the tiny human!
The trick is not to finish any jobs. You can move on quicker :D

My work out routine is I didn't know smiths and power rack were different :) So nothing! I will be starting at 0.

Would that do the full 13x3m building? I like the idea of leaving the walls as they are, and I know I'll have issues insulating and joining up the DPC that's already there etc. So just whacking heat in sounds good :D

Am not a gym bro, do not like gyms :D

The trick is not to finish any jobs. You can move on quicker :D

Guy I worked with used one to heat a garage bigger than yours, and inside a van it's roasting within seconds. Worth a YouTube/Google, some guys heat massive double garages with them.

You can't (you can, but it forces your body movement - which can be damaging) squat or deadlight with a smith machine. They are useful for benching, pressing and other movements though. A cheap rack and some dumbbells would give you more options.

There's a home gym thread that has loads of advice on it.

Check out my thread on here but in short - yes. My double garage is a bit over 30sqm and with a cold deck roof with no insulation, a single glazed window, an alu double garage door and a draughty side door it'll keep a delta of +20c over ambient at the lowest permitted tick rate once up to temp. The air coming out of the thing is extremely hot at full chat. They cost pennies to run and with moderate tinkering can be (sorta) brought into Home Assistant and automated.

Back
Top Bottom