• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1950Pro

Associate
I sold a 1950PRO to a friend which hes installed but I'm worried about his psu not coping.

When i had it with rig in sig i got 90-100fps in BF2, he has the following spec;

P4 2.93ghz
1gb or ddr400
1950pro

and hes getting 70-80fps but sometimes he drops to 30 fps and after a bit of digging found out hes only a got a 315W psu :eek: (packard bell) and wondered if its not giving enough amps to the card.

On the psu it sasy 10a/5a, i assume its 10a for 115V and 5a for 230V, so I've advised for him to get a new psu but hes very tight and doesnt have a lot of money anyway.

Would you aggree that the psu is probably not up to the job?

Associate
hmm i would say its possible that psu is low powered.

also thoufg i notices he only has 1gb or ram i seem to remember that bf2 loves ram so that may be slowing him down also.

Soldato
My brother has this card and had to upgrade his PSU. Games would run for a few minutes then the computer would freeze and need reboot. We worked out it was the PSU, got a new one and now all is good :) I'd be surprised if a £15W psu was happy running a 1950 tbh...

Also your PCs are quite different spec so lower FPS is to be expected in his case

Soldato
BF2 is happy on an athlon. If it lags when there is a large amount of vehicles on screen then maybe but otherwise I dont think its the cpu.

What res and settings is he at, 1600x1200 might be asking a bit much. The pro is a really low power card, it might run fine. Depends on the quality of the psu.

I think it'd just crash if it was down to power, fps is something else

He should have upgraded the ram before the gpu, I used 2gb with a 6600gt and it did high settings. bf2 is like that, theres probably not many games even now that would use as much memory, I dont think crysis uses as much

How much vram, bf2 can easily use 512meg but I presume the card is 256 and combined with the low system memory as well that'd easily lag him

These are some graphs I allready had that are centered around the 8600gts. One of them does show the x1950pro, so if increase all the gts figures by 50% you get roughly what power the card is using up

6ll5ret.png

8e0z1ab.gif

6y56134.png

6jbca6d.gif

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the info guys its appreciated.

@ silversurfer Hes only running 1024/768 on a 17" monitor.

The point i was worried about is when his card actually dropped from 80~90 fps to 30fps and made me think about the psu.

He was actually running BF2 on 512mb of ram before i sold him the 1950pro and another 512mb of ram making it 1gb.

To be honest he could do with a full upgrade was just a bit worried about the sudden drop in fps during the game.

Hes happy but ive told him he's better with a new psu.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom