1970 House Renovation - 3 floor townhouse build log

Soldato
Kitchen is now installed (only took 3 days) however there was a few issues like the island end unit was too short.

That means a 4 week wait, and unfortunately the worktop is now due on 10th August! So we have a month with the tease of a new kitchen, but unable to use it which is incredibly sad with summer close to ending.

It does give us time to consider tiles for splashback and so forth and to tile the feature wall.

Too short ie not to measurement or miss measured. That sucks having to wait!

Get some more pics up :p

Soldato
OP
Too short ie not to measurement or miss measured. That sucks having to wait!

Get some more pics up :p

Well the custom unit was standard as their system reverted it. Also end panel needed cause cutout for steel was through the entire island unit so you'd have holes inside.

I don't have any pictures... Honest :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Get pics up you tease!

I'll do a few raymond bokeh style ones ;).

At the moment we still have all the protective films and stickers on the units so won't do justice if I stick photos up.

I will however get some snaps of the finished floor, and the tiles that are going on the wall. Be glad to get some feedback on my tiling from the critical ocuk crowd!

Soldato
OP
Finished off the downlights in the kitchen, few leading up the stairs and one on the landing

And then, all the tiling is finished and grouted now. I'm pretty happy with this given it was my first time tiling... and not with a small tile by any stretch!

I'm lucky enough to have next to no lippage, so pretty chuffed. Some grout spacing is slightly off, but not immediately obvious when you're in the room.

This is the next project, massive feature wall with... more porcelain! Turning out to be an expensive kitchen project.

P.s. Excuse the photo quality... something up with my canon M I'll look into!

Soldato
OP
Not updated this for a while!

- Kitchen is now completed
- Hallways and upstairs ceilings done
- Ground floor walls removed

We have a photographer coming for the kitchen from the installer... So will post photos up when that is done!

We're now finishing upstairs which should be done quickly, just painting and carpets to do which isn't a lot of work.

After that just downstairs remains until house is completed.

Soldato
OP
Looks great!

Any more pics of other rooms and plans for this year?

Many thanks!

I'm not actually sure I showed the front room yet?

In terms of progress we paused for a bit, maybe got complacent. Upstairs we have one bedroom done with new carpets, we have roofers coming to fix a minor leak and then one round of plastering to complete the top floor, followed by new carpets.

After that really, just new downstairs bathroom to create / downstairs hall to decorate and downstairs room. Also refresh upstairs bathroom.

Soldato
Ah noooo was expecting to see more finished pics!

Got a rough idea of the costs of the whole renovation @rexehuk?

The other half and I are debating on buying a doer-upper as something we can spend time on putting the way we'd like it. Neither of us are in the trade nor have much DIY experience, but happy to take a stab at it. Just don't want to be in the position where thing start going wrong and end up costing more money than it would have been just to have bought an already modernised house.

Soldato
OP
Ah noooo was expecting to see more finished pics!

Got a rough idea of the costs of the whole renovation @rexehuk?

I'll get more pictures up... Someone tried to break into house Monday so clearly the locals like it too...

Find much asbestos?

Luckily not, only asbestolux above Integrated garage which is stable.

Wore respirators while doing the works anyway just to be safe.

Soldato
I'll get more pictures up... Someone tried to break into house Monday so clearly the locals like it too...

Luckily not, only asbestolux above Integrated garage which is stable.

Wore respirators while doing the works anyway just to be safe.

That’s fortunate - I would have expected it to be on the soffits, under cloaking, pipe lagging, flooring, artex ceilings, boiler flues... - result! It can be mega expensive to get rid of in 70’s houses!

They even had asbestos filters for cigarettes believe it or not lol

Soldato
OP
That’s fortunate - I would have expected it to be on the soffits, under cloaking, pipe lagging, flooring, artex ceilings, boiler flues... - result! It can be mega expensive to get rid of in 70’s houses!

They even had asbestos filters for cigarettes believe it or not lol

I lie. The soffits were actually asbestos... the guys who fitted new ones didn't have any masks or gear - I quietly locked the door and let them work...

Soldato
I lie. The soffits were actually asbestos... the guys who fitted new ones didn't have any masks or gear - I quietly locked the door and let them work...
Hahahahahahha!

I can just imagine the scene...... ‘darling, close the doors.......’ - ‘why?’.... ‘darling, just close the doors’.

Back
Top Bottom