1and1 and other website template sites

Soldato
Has anyone got experience using one of these template website thingies? I want to set one up for a small business I run but I don't know if they're worth the money.

I'm a cycle mechanic outside of my 9-5 and I want to gain an online presence to make it easier for people to find me and find out what services I offer. Nothing fancy but I don't want it to look like it was thrown together in MS Word in an hour.

So, worth it? Any alternatives to 1and1? Ta

Go daddy seems to advertise for easy personal business websites, hosting and things like that (see adverts on the underground). Never used them myself so donno about the cost.

£15 hosting with TSOHOST and wordpress install (free) and you'll end up with something much better than these templating sites!

When I worked at 1&1 the InstantSite used to be a really basic template selector which allowed you to change images, and content, and that was pretty much it. So very basic and limiting, but the templates were alright. No idea how it's progressed since then mind.

basekit.com is an alternative. Similar kind of thing, but allowed more flexibility and the templates are a lot more professional/better looking. 123-reg resell Basekit under the name Website Builder for slightly cheaper than Basekit directly... but then you'd have to deal with 123-reg support :p

Standard hosting with Wordpress or something along those lines would probably be the best bet.

Easy to use but if you don't keep it updated your site will be hacked by some script kiddy within a fortnight :P

Just keep it updated and you'll be fine, easy enough to use.

I used to use 1and1's template site maybe 2 years or so ago, i would hope it's improved since as the experience was bad! Their support was awful and constantly suffered with internal errors and the system just generally not working. I just wouldn't risk it imo.
Now i use wordpress if needed for ease of use- so much easier and hassle free mainly :)

ahh great, headache avoided (missed the last post)

Back
Top Bottom