1Gbps vs 866Mbps = confused

Associate
Please could someone try to explain the following phenomena to me, with possible reasons. NB I fully appreciate there is a s.ton of variables at play here, so it wont be a simple single answer, but would like ideas.

- When my desktop is connected at 1Gbps wired through to a 1Gbps connected NAS, I get around 113MB/s, copying large files, which i understand is around about right for a 1Gbps network. However when im connected via the 802.11ac wireless adapter onboard, I consistently get 866Mbps connection, but copying the same files to the same NAS via the same switches (plus AP), i get about 11MB/s

So with ~85% of connection speed of the 1Gbps network, i get ~10% of the throughput.
Ideas?

Tia, Rich

Soldato
Be easier for you to have a quick Google of wifi link speed vs throughput. But there's a big difference between the two which can be affected by many things. But in short you'll never see anywhere near the reported link speed in throughput due to overheads and latency.

Associate
OP
….I get around 60-70MB/s when connected at 866Mbps on WiFi

Thank you, and exactly, thats the ball park performance id expect at for Wifi at 866Mbps, if 1Gbps yields ~113Mbps
(Edit, everything is connected at 1Gbps)

…you'll never see anywhere near the reported link speed in throughput due to overheads and latency.

Well latency is 1ms as its wholly within my house, but what sort of wifi overhead would be 10x that of wired? Is that really possible?

Rich

Last edited:
Soldato
Be easier for you to have a quick Google of wifi link speed vs throughput. But there's a big difference between the two which can be affected by many things. But in short you'll never see anywhere near the reported link speed in throughput due to overheads and latency.

I’d check what speed your AP is connecting to the switch at as 11MB/s is pretty much bang on a 100Mbps.

I get around 60-70MB/s when connected at 866Mbps on WiFi

As above. Check your AP uplink speed.

Also, WiFi is crap.....whilst you can get near theoretical throughput there are so many variables it rarely happens. I can sit under my 802.11n AP and get a reported max signal quality/speed but not get even half the throughput.

Configuration also plays a massive part. Avoiding channel overlap, link width, radio transmission strength (higher isnt always better) etc etc...

Soldato
My PC will connect to my Smart Hub 2 at 866 Mbps link speed, but it’ll max out at 300 depending on the distance.

Over cable, I’ll get 920 Mbps.

As Andy mentioned, link speed = connection speed.

Caporegime
I can't see any mention of the AP you're using in this thread. Even when you're asked what the NAS model is you just reply with "it's the same one being tested wired and wireless".

You've got to give people more information if you want help. Describe your topology, if you have a switch then put the model number in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom