1st ever custom loop

Associate
I am currently looking into building my first ever custom loop for my next build, which is going to have the following items of this build I want to water cool:-

i7 3930K
2 x 4GB EVGA 670

I'm looking at putting it all in a Fractal Design Define XL with one 240 mm rad mounted in the lower compartment to cool the i7 and a 360 in the roof to cool the 2 4GB 670's. I want to go for a healthy compermise between silence and performance.

Thus I'm thinking of Noctua P12's for the rad fans and sticking with the fractal 140's for the case.

Though what is this FPI I keep hearing when it comes to rads, thicker rads work better with lower speed fans as they have lower FPI but if I want to use thinner rads I would have to get higher speed fans as the rads themselves have a higher FPI?

Any help would be most welcome.

Soldato
Hey Sneblot. I'm considering going for my 1st loop soon too and like the look of the case. One thing - can you mount a radiator on the roof of the case? It doesn't look like there's anywhere for the air to go or for it to attach.

Associate
One thing - can you mount a radiator on the roof of the case? It doesn't look like there's anywhere for the air to go or for it to attach.

You can mount a 30mm thick rad in the top with a set of 25mm fans, I cut the top and bottom of my case for the rads then fitted grills.

DSC09858.JPG

Associate
OP
Hey Sneblot. I'm considering going for my 1st loop soon too and like the look of the case. One thing - can you mount a radiator on the roof of the case? It doesn't look like there's anywhere for the air to go or for it to attach.

Yer as it comes there is no holes in the top for a rad, so if you would want to get this case you would have to mod it so that one would fit.

You can mount a 30mm thick rad in the top with a set of 25mm fans, I cut the top and bottom of my case for the rads then fitted grills.

DSC09858.JPG

Thanks for the picture has really moved me to get this case now I can see the actual sizes, I find it hard to imagine what the internal space is like when I see shots of the case with nothing in it haha. Also thats some crazy piping, I can't work out you layout haha.

Last edited:
Associate
The loop goes from the res to the pump (in the top drive bays) down the back of the case to the bottom rad, then up to GPU - CPU - Motherboard, then 360 top rad (EX360 Crossflow) then back to res.

...although its changed since that pic and now looks like this:

DSC09885.JPG

DSC09895.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Argh right thanks, talking about this custom loop here is the basket for my set up.

shoppinglist.jpg

Someone on here wouldn't be able to point out anything I might of missed?

Associate
You'll need more compression fittings. The kit above needs 14. Also get a EK SLI block to link the gpu's and some fluid of course unless you plan to use distilled/ battery top up water.

Not 100% but I think a D5 pump might be better with all the kit your putting in there too.

Just a personal pref but for a few quid more you could get a fully modular AX850 as space is quite tight already

Associate
OP
I already have distilled water from filling up my EK kit, so I will be using that, not sure whether to dye it or not as I have heard that when you use dye it blocks the fins in the cpu gpu blocks.

Associate
I already have distilled water from filling up my EK kit, so I will be using that, not sure whether to dye it or not as I have heard that when you use dye it blocks the fins in the cpu gpu blocks.

Have a skim through the mayhems sticky thread there's info on the dyes there. Pretty sure they are pretty harmless but I've never used them as I use coloured per mix or coloured tubing

Associate
OP
Your going to need holes in the case for the rads though or they won't cool properly. This case doesn't have any in the top.

Yep I was going to cut a hole in the top for the 360 rad then one either in the bottom or the lower side panel of the case for the 240 rad.

Back
Top Bottom