1st Line IT Support -

Associate
How easy is it to get a position for this ? and should you have certs before applying for positions ? obviously it depends on the position, but most some companies preferably want is MS exchange experience, active directory and some times some tcp/ip.

I have just finished my uni course with Bsc Digital Media, but after the first year decieded wasnt for me, but due to various circumstances etc etc, I have stuck it out in the hope I can get employed somewhere with "a degree". Now before university, I completed two IT practitioner courses, a BTEC National Diploma (DDD) and a City & Guilds course, both of which I found very easy and and just about knew most of the hardware side to it already.

But I thought, I want to give IT support a try, with the hope of moving up into 2nd, maybe 3rd line and perhaps work with networks, or network installations. I am unsure of the proper job titles here, but maybe network support and/or engineer.

The only thing that worries me with this stuff is that I don't have experience with some of the basic things that a 1st line support role requires. (I am in process of getting some books to teach myself). The stuff like exchange, ms server 03/08, active directory, tcp/ip.

As this is generally an entry role, I am constantly on the look out for some sort of graduate, junior or entry level position, where they would train in these more specific area's, and even better, possibly provide the training for ms certs, ccna, network+ etc.

But all I've got at the moment is my two college courses and some home experience of building desktops, installing OS, home network things, the general stuff. Hopefully my degree can show that I can learn at that level, I am expecting a 2.1 (just about).

Suppose I am just looking for some advice from other IT enthusiasts out there, and how you may have got into IT support or networking career. Also just how beneficial would certs be to get into 1st line ?

Cheers chaps!

Soldato
Depends on the company.
I worked for a big it support company (several thousand employees in callcentres all over europe) and i was amazed at how little the others knew when we did our training week.
At one point, after being shown how to install some bit of software, we were asked to restart the computer. The guy beside me had to ask me how to do that (because you need to press the "shut down" button in windows7 etc to get to the "restart" option).
Obviously any experience will help you to get a job, but realistically, as long as you can speak politely on the phone, you can pick up everything else fairly quick.

Caporegime
1st line IT support is service desk work.

Following a knowledge base of easy 1st line fixes and passing anything technical or extensive onto 2nd / 3rd line.

Its not the sort of thing you should be doing with a university degree. Its where people without any experience or qualifications start. Its incredibly soul destorying work as you arent actually needed to be that technical. Its glorified call centre work.

If you are that technical (which judging by your uni degree you probably are) then you want to be aiming higher.

What about development ?

Or what about going into Database Administration ?

There isn't money in doing dogsboy work like creating user accounts, which is what 1st line support is.

Depends on the company.
I worked for a big it support company (several thousand employees in callcentres all over europe) and i was amazed at how little the others knew when we did our training week.
At one point, after being shown how to install some bit of software, we were asked to restart the computer. The guy beside me had to ask me how to do that (because you need to press the "shut down" button in windows7 etc to get to the "restart" option).
Obviously any experience will help you to get a job, but realistically, as long as you can speak politely on the phone, you can pick up everything else fairly quick.

You don't need to be technically minded to do 1st line support. If you are running your service desk under an ITIL frame work, you are employing your people on the service desk for their communication skills, not their technical skills. There job is to speak to customers, ring them back and feed info from Technical Support higher up. Its following a knowledge base of pre defined steps. You don't need technical skills to follow a KB article to resolve a problem (if your KB is well written lol)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't work in support but in my experience there are companies out there that would hire someone with your qualifications to do a 1st line support role, no doubt. If anything I'd say they are more likely to be swayed by your experience (e.g. any customer-facing roles) - or lack of - than a few additional certs above what you have already. Things like Cisco certification may help later in your career but certainly aren't necessary to get your foot on the ladder.

Soldato
What about development ?

What about it? It is not easy to get into, even with a degree the competition is fierce all year round. You only get somewhere with extensive experience and qualifications etc.

Or what about going into Database Administration ?

See above. DBAs need quals, certs and experience, you can't just read a few SQL websites and hop into a DBA job. You'll spend years working your way up to DBA from much lower fields.

Soldato
Depends, i'm 26 now and have been in 3 different '1st line' support jobs since ive been 20. A lot of companies will mix 1st line and 2nd line stuff, expecting you do do most of the general work like fixing printers, hardware, basic windows stuff but also AD, Group policy, Citrix work, migrations etc. Other companies will have dedicated project teams for migrations or 3rd line teams dedicated to working with certain software (depending on how big the company is)

I've been made redundant a couple of times but now am on a service desk in a bigger, more stable company. Its less technical, as far as my work goes but there is a LOT of knowledge where I work, is great for training and is quite relaxed (plus we have dedicated local support teams so I dont have to remove dreaded printer jams!!)

Personally I want to get into more of the BES / messaging and data centre type of work. Moving from physical servers to virtual, SANs etc. I have a bit of experience of Xen Server/Centre and VMWare but not much

Caporegime
What about it? It is not easy to get into, even with a degree the competition is fierce all year round. You only get somewhere with extensive experience and qualifications etc.

See above. DBAs need quals, certs and experience, you can't just read a few SQL websites and hop into a DBA job. You'll spend years working your way up to DBA from much lower fields.

He wants to go into something like this:

http://www.emis-online.com/job/SEAS/Software-Engineer-Apprenticeship-Scheme

We're hiring right now. One of the prerequisites is that you are educated to degree standard.

If he's going to get a 2:1 he needs to go into a scheme like this, that will train him up, get him the certs he needs to become a successful developer and not stuck creating user accounts in 1st line support.

And its not like that position i've linked to will be gone tomorrow. Its been up there for months as we are constantly recruiting.

Depends, i'm 26 now and have been in 3 different '1st line' support jobs since ive been 20. A lot of companies will mix 1st line and 2nd line stuff, expecting you do do most of the general work like fixing printers, hardware, basic windows stuff but also AD, Group policy, Citrix work, migrations etc. Other companies will have dedicated project teams for migrations or 3rd line teams dedicated to working with certain software (depending on how big the company is)

I've been made redundant a couple of times but now am on a service desk in a bigger, more stable company. Its less technical, as far as my work goes but there is a LOT of knowledge where I work, is great for training and is quite relaxed (plus we have dedicated local support teams so I dont have to remove dreaded printer jams!!)

Personally I want to get into more of the BES / messaging and data centre type of work. Moving from physical servers to virtual, SANs etc. I have a bit of experience of Xen Server/Centre and VMWare but not much

This depends largely on the sort of company you work for. Our organisation is quite large, with about 500 employees. Our service desk is ISO20000 accredited so we are fully ITIL'd up. Our service desk staff aren't technies. They follow knowledge base articles and when the positions are advertised call centre experience is a major requirement. We don't ask for MCSE qualifications or degrees, because thats not what true 1st line is about.

Of course, the polar opposite of that is somebody i met on a training course. He works for a charity with over 300 employees, has an IT department budget of 130,000 (for the year) and the department contains 2 people. That sort of company are going to be asking you to do a bit of everything. But you don't want to walk into something like that as your first job. There's too much pressure on your inexperienced back.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Awesome, well that makes gives me a better outlook.

My original train of thought was, Ok, I have a degree, but not in the area, and I want my foot in the door, so going to have to start at the bottom of the ladder, and also start on a very low salary. So thought 1st line, and build up from there.

I definately want the more technical things. I know I would appreciate a job where I am out n about, and not just at a desk sorting out things. Maybe working on a new site, new network installations. Something like that interests me.

MrLOL - cheers for all the information. I am waiting for a confirmed 2.1 for my degree(as I worry im on the border of 2.2/2.1) but I am looking into a lot of graduates schemes too.

But yes thats the kind of scheme I need, a company that will accept me and train me without having some previous work experience and what not. Just on the basis of my qualications, as it proves I can learn of course.

Anyways, this gives me more hope anyways, even if 1st line support is just a temp thing for me, as I am serious need of an income at the moment.

Associate
He wants to go into something like this:

http://www.emis-online.com/job/SEAS/Software-Engineer-Apprenticeship-Scheme

We're hiring right now. One of the prerequisites is that you are educated to degree standard.

If he's going to get a 2:1 he needs to go into a scheme like this, that will train him up, get him the certs he needs to become a successful developer and not stuck creating user accounts in 1st line support.

And its not like that position i've linked to will be gone tomorrow. Its been up there for months as we are constantly recruiting.

I am thinking of applying for this, just finished Uni myself at Leeds Met, Computing B.Sc, are you looking for people who have programming experience already? I have done more web development PHP/HTML sort of thing. I did do a module on JavaScript and one one Java, but that was over 2 years ago.

I did a placement working at Leeds Met University providing 2nd line support to the staff, so I have been applying for support roles mostly.

Cheers.

Associate
No matter how technical you think are, you will generally have to start at 1st line on a low salary if you want to get into support and then branch out later in your career if you don't have the real world experience. "1st line" support is different in most companies, as you might be just creating user accounts and resets and the alike or in another company you might get more hands on experience that is kind of leaning on to 2nd line. It sucks to be honest, no one likes or wants to work in 1st line but that's life. Think of it as paying your dues.

The only thing I can really say is, is to persevere because it's quite competitive. Sometimes you might get lucky though and land a job quickly:)
What about a graduate scheme?

Also if you want to avoid call centre/helpdesk kind of work, you can try aiming for smaller companies, colleges, unis etc. as generally you will get more experience working with more technical stuff in a junior/1st line role :)

Last edited:
Associate
Awesome, well that makes gives me a better outlook.

My original train of thought was, Ok, I have a degree, but not in the area, and I want my foot in the door, so going to have to start at the bottom of the ladder, and also start on a very low salary. So thought 1st line, and build up from there.

I definately want the more technical things. I know I would appreciate a job where I am out n about, and not just at a desk sorting out things. Maybe working on a new site, new network installations. Something like that interests me.

MrLOL - cheers for all the information. I am waiting for a confirmed 2.1 for my degree(as I worry im on the border of 2.2/2.1) but I am looking into a lot of graduates schemes too.

But yes thats the kind of scheme I need, a company that will accept me and train me without having some previous work experience and what not. Just on the basis of my qualications, as it proves I can learn of course.

Anyways, this gives me more hope anyways, even if 1st line support is just a temp thing for me, as I am serious need of an income at the moment.

If you want to go down the 1st line support and work your way up route then i would suggest trying to find a Council / Health / College type 1st line job. Its how i did it and i see many others move up the ranks pretty quick in these places also. But not sure how easy it would be nowa days with the big Squeeze on funding.

Associate
Shame you live all the way down south mate, My place is always looking for IT support workers I've Worked there for Years...... We do have a current Southern based Engineer down south that covers our customers down there for field support, But we may be looking to expand to another one.... Not sure if it would suit you as it's Schools and Colleges with PC and Laptop repairs down south, Me based Just north of Manchester have worked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and how ever many there are I cover the lot all depends if im in the office or out in the field.
Mostly im on Field support working with Networks & Server Support along with PC/Laptops support and do the some Server & Network installs to.
My Place tends to let every engineer have a mix of skills this keeps us refreshed and stops the boredom kicking in with the same **** different day that kills all moral for IT support workers - But i still get them Days.

Permabanned
The only thing that worries me with this stuff is that I don't have experience with some of the basic things that a 1st line support role requires. (I am in process of getting some books to teach myself). The stuff like exchange, ms server 03/08, active directory, tcp/ip.

If you are doing 1st line the most you will ever be allowed to do, depending on the size of the corporation, is reset passwords and create new users. Which is as simple as right clicking on a username clicking reset password.

If you learn software fast and think you can pick up that sort of thing with only been shown once, then you won't need your MCSE or AD diplomas to work in 1st line support.

Associate
Shame you live all the way down south mate, My place is always looking for IT support workers I've Worked there for Years...... We do have a current Southern based Engineer down south that covers our customers down there for field support, But we may be looking to expand to another one.... Not sure if it would suit you as it's Schools and Colleges with PC and Laptop repairs down south, Me based Just north of Manchester have worked 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and how ever many there are I cover the lot all depends if im in the office or out in the field.
Mostly im on Field support working with Networks & Server Support along with PC/Laptops support and do the some Server & Network installs to.
My Place tends to let every engineer have a mix of skills this keeps us refreshed and stops the boredom kicking in with the same **** different day that kills all moral for IT support workers - But i still get them Days.

What place is this fella?

Associate
First line support basically involves passing any call with a potential resolution more complicated than a password reset or reboot down to the wrong second line support team.

Soldato
I'm 33 and am currently in IT Help Desk role 1st line. This was job was only meant to be a short term as I came back from travelling last year and needed a job, I got employed within 2 weeks so was happy to be earning again and paying off debts. Now a year later I am still here. I have gone for 3 promotions whilst here, 1 time for a MS Systems based role and 2 for EPOS systems role. Not one has been fruitful despite my experience working with MS, Citrix, Avaya and having an MCP. There's either something wrong with my interview technique or they're keeping me here because I do a larger quantity of the work compared to several other team members. Either way I need to get out and look for something more technical. Sadly I think my knowledge has somewhat evaporated though as not been using any of the skills I had learnt to good use in this role.

I need to put myself on some refresher courses and also catch up with the world and update myself from Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Any suggestions ?!?

Caporegime
After 6 years in IT support all I know is that I want to get out of IT support... which I hopefully am in a couple of months due to the opportunities it created.

You have to be a certain kind of person to be able smile when for the umpteenth time someone brings down a dead laptop that they just spilt coffee on... and I am not that person. IT support seems to be viewed as only a rung or two above a cleaner no matter where you work (for me in the upper echelons of support), and it is a job that commands the minimum respect. It will grind you down over time, so use it as a stepping stone to something better.

If I had a degree the last thing I would be going for would be a 1st line support job... otherwise what was the point of doing one in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom