1st Line Support Interview

Associate
Hi guys,

I've just got myself an interview at an IT company in 1st line support. There was a phone interview were he asked me questions about my experience and at the end offered me a face to face interview.

Im after some advice really. I am currently studying for my degree in Network Engineering and Systems Administration and am very passionate about everything IT related really I have got my CCNA1, 2, 3 exams done and currently am studying for CCNA 4. I have also had work experience working as part of a small IT team.

I have already informed my interviewer that I am studying at University and he seems fine with this.

So what sort of interview questions can I expect? How should I prepare for this interview?

Thanks for any advice you can give

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You sound over qualified for 1st line support TBH, so if anything I'd play down your skills and experience a little.

Just prepare by making it sound like you'll have no problem following scripts/case bases and emphasise your phone manner/interpersonal skills rather than your technical skills as they'll be less relevant to a 1st line support role.

#disclaimer - I started my 15 year career at Hewlett Packard in 1st line support.

Man of Honour
What is it 1st line for? Basic PC support? Enterprise level application support? What industry is it for (e.g. a bank or a small company, etc)?

(I run enterprise application support teams for banks so if it's that, then I can probably give a reasonable idea).

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot depending the company.. Some 1st line jobs can be a bit dead-end.. But a lot recruitment it staff through service desk do you can progress quite quickly.

Associate
OP
What is it 1st line for? Basic PC support? Enterprise level application support? What industry is it for (e.g. a bank or a small company, etc)?

(I run enterprise application support teams for banks so if it's that, then I can probably give a reasonable idea).

The job is for a company that manages other peoples networks. So i'll be answering phone calls from people who are having problems and I guess remoting in and trying to solve the issues or passing it off to someone who can. From what I can gather its only a small business at the minute but I have to start somewhere.

Been applying for a while this is the first interview i've got.

Thanks

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So i'll be answering phone calls from people who are having problems and I guess remoting in and trying to solve the issues

Not as first line support you wont - I expect first contact resolution by first line support in a network environment would be rare.

You'll be following a case base and logging it for someone more technical to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'm confused, there are not 4 exams to get the CCNA qualification. There are two paths.
ICND1+2 or just a straight CCNA exam (200-120).

EDIT ignore me, I worked out these are probably internal Uni exams your working through at the moment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

( |-| |2 ][ $;29116666 said:
I'm confused, there are not 4 exams to get the CCNA qualification. There are two paths.
ICND1+2 or just a straight CCNA exam (200-120).

EDIT ignore me, I worked out these are probably internal Uni exams your working through at the moment.

Correct:-

A particular feature of this course is that students will be signed up to the Cisco Academy and will undergo a course of preparatory study for CCNA certification. Successful students will leave the course with CCNA 1, 2, 3 & 4 certificates and will be able to include these valued assets within their CV and job applications.

Back
Top Bottom