1st time attempting to edit a website = help

Soldato
OP
Cheers Andy
So I could make something in Wordpress - which I believe is free?

Then do I just use core lite ftp to put it back on the www? That we as a club already pay for the hosting

Soldato
OP
So bearing in mind I’m inexperienced with producing/ maintaining websites.

Is there any way I can keep my present host and just update the website. Even if it is from the ground up?

What program would I need to do that then

Permabanned
So bearing in mind I’m inexperienced with producing/ maintaining websites.

Is there any way I can keep my present host and just update the website. Even if it is from the ground up?

What program would I need to do that then

This is an easy one to answer. Create a new folder inside where the files are.

For example
https://www.mydomain.com/foldername (call it something like newsite) or something like that where you can reach it. Develop your new site and upload files to this folder.

Permabanned
woah, people showing up and confusing the new guy.

new guy - ignore everyone else. just update your site the way you were going to. if you feel you take to it then maybe you can do more later. baby steps.

Soldato
OP
Managed to find out who hosts the site today and they informed me it isn’t written in Wordpress.

This is after I downloaded Wordpress desktop which did nothing.

Also I can’t do the www.websitename.com/wp-admin to log in as does nothing.

So I am at a loss. Because there is some links on the website which in turn should link to particular files.
The files are there. When I look with a ftp program. Just not showing up for anyone visiting the website.

Last edited:
Soldato
The site isn't Wordpress. It was probably written with Dreamweaver or some basic HTML editor back in the day, and has likely been maintained by editing the html files directly (and badly).

Do you have nobody who you can trust to actually help you with this? If you have no idea what you're doing, you're really in over your head managing a website.

Maybe something like this will be of help. https://support.wix.com/en/article/transferring-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere-to-wix

Soldato
If you need help it's been a while but I'm happy to have a proper look.

More than happy to log into the FTP and have a look, pop a word document together showing the file structure and what each file does.

At least then you'll be able to see which backend bit matches the front end.

I usually just download USBWebserver, load it up, create a new folder and code something out, then it's a case of uploading to the webhost.

Back
Top Bottom