1U Switch for Datacentre Usage

Soldato
I'm looking to colo some Raspberry Pis in a datacentre. I get a single CAT 5 Ethernet 1gbps link, and I'll want to connect about 10 Raspberry Pis to it. I know about Cisco and Juniper but they are massively expensive, and I image tricky to learn. I was wondering if there was a more budget option available? The project does not require 100% uptime so I can cut a few corners. I'm just not sure what is needed. I'll need to be able to configure VLANs and assign IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to the Raspberry Pis (although I'm not sure if there is a better way to do that).

Any help is appreciated :).

Soldato
Just chuck a Ubiquity switch in there if you don't have any actual requirements other than to create a few VLANs and Assign IP Addresses. Any managed switch will do this, so you pretty much have the entire market open, from basic Netgear rubbish to Cisco SG series, Meraki, HPE etc.

What do you actually need? Do you need VLANs, does each Pi need to be segregated from each other? Do you need routing across VLANs because if so you'll want a L3 Switch.

Soldato
OP
Just chuck a Ubiquity switch in there if you don't have any actual requirements other than to create a few VLANs and Assign IP Addresses. Any managed switch will do this, so you pretty much have the entire market open, from basic Netgear rubbish to Cisco SG series, Meraki, HPE etc.

What do you actually need? Do you need VLANs, does each Pi need to be segregated from each other? Do you need routing across VLANs because if so you'll want a L3 Switch.

I'll need to separate each customer on the network (each customer might have multiple Raspberry Pis). I'll need to be able to allocate IPv6 using SLAAC and maybe DHCP for IPv4 otherwise I'll just statically assign IP addresses myself although that could get a bit messy as things grow. I'm not sure how big networks handle that particular issue.

I was thinking about building a switch myself from commodity hardware running FreeBSD since I know how to use FreeBSD well and it has a good reputation when it comes to its firewall and general network usage. Do you think that would be an acceptable option?

Soldato
Again you have to weigh up the pro's and con's - you mention this is for customers, do they have an SLA with you for support, do they have an uptime requirement (I know you mention not 100%) do you have colleagues which will be required to configure these in the event you're on annual leave? If so a whitebox solution with FreeBSD might not be the way to go, and also you lose all forms of vendor support with whitebox options.

Pretty much all managed switches are going to be able to do VLAN, DHCP etc.

Caporegime
Just get reconditioned/refurbished enterprise kit.

You say it's expensive, but to be honest you can get warranted Cisco layer-3 switches for £150 upwards. Configure one with a DHCP pool and some private vlans and job done.

Certainly not tricky to learn either.

Soldato
Nobody gets sacked for using Cisco switches. Get a second hand one dirt cheap. They are quite possibly the easiest and most reliable switches to use.

An hour on Google will give you a working config for whatever model you purchase. An old 2960 or 3750x would do the job.

Most other switches rip off the command structure anyhow, so just go straight for the real deal. Far better than using cheap rubbish like Netgear.

Associate
For a Datacenter, you’d take out the fans and cut a hole in the top? What use would a hole be if the U above was occupied?

My Bad I didn't read it properly and missed the further information below.

OP before you do anything make sure you talk to the person in charge of the rackspace as they may get funny about 2nd hand equipment.

Back
Top Bottom