£2,000 on a home gym?

Associate
Hi All,

Anyone want to spec me a home gym for around £2,000?

For general fitness.

Please no "save your money and go to the gym".

Thanks

Associate
Ironmaster DB's - £530
Body Solid pro club bench - £350
CF475 power rack - £350
2x Fitness Superstore matting - £120
Body Solid weight tree - £70

leaves you with £580 for olympic bars and plates and anything else you need. If you wanted a cheap running machine or something along those lines then you could save some money on a cheaper bench and also get olympic DB handles with decent bulldog clamps instead of ironmasters.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
TY for the quick replies.

I did have a quick look at your link disco. But thought it could be a bit dated as it was over 2 years ago from the initial post?

I will check those out ASH but sounds good.

Will £2,000 get me an OK home gym?

Associate
Depends on your uses if you wanted a really good running machine for example then no but if your main goal is to build muscle then £2000 is more than enough, I have everything that I listed plus bars and 200kg in plates. I'm very happy with that setup.

(Don't have that bench though, it's next on my list)

Associate
NO! Complete junk.

Ironmasters are the only adjustable dumbbells you should buy. Got mine last week and love them I have read pages and pages of reviews etc nothing comes close. Bowflex are massive even on low weight, they can't be dropped, rattle, plastic parts etc. Powerblocks cover your whole hand, rattle, plastic parts, can't be dropped etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Only one UK supplier, Valley Fitness. Yeah there is a good CF475 on the auction site with all lat cables and dips for £400 or "Make offer".

Last edited:
Caporegime
TY for the quick replies.

I did have a quick look at your link disco. But thought it could be a bit dated as it was over 2 years ago from the initial post?

I will check those out ASH but sounds good.

Will £2,000 get me an OK home gym?

home gym equipment hasn't really changed much in the past 10 years never mind 2.

read through the whole thread, that is the point of it.

for your budget i would be getting

powertec power rack plus lat pulley attachment
6 mats of 17 mm thickness from fitness superstore (if you have the space)
body solid incline/decline bench
150-200 kg olympic weight kit which comes with a olympic barbell
ez curl olympic bar
tricep olympic bar
olympic weight stand

all the above from fitness superstore - order over the phone, give them product numbers from the site, and ask for a discount (they will usually give one).

ironmaster dumbells with added weight attachment along with kettlebell handles

from the only official uk supplier

spin bike from restylefitness for cardio

that should be attainable for £2K i imagine

Associate
body solid incline/decline bench

Just be aware OP that the Body-Solid benches with decline also sit very high, the pro club line version sits nice and low but no decline or leg/preacher attachments. This obviously depends on the user and their height but worth keeping in mind.

Also not sure why he would need 6 mats unless he planned on getting loads of machines? Obviously it's nice if you can afford to cover your whole garage or whatever but it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just be aware OP that the Body-Solid benches with decline also sit very high, the pro club line version sits nice and low but no decline or leg/preacher attachments. This obviously depends on the user and their height but worth keeping in mind.

Also not sure why he would need 6 mats unless he planned on getting loads of machines? Obviously it's nice if you can afford to cover your whole garage or whatever but it's not necessary.

2 mats only cover my rack

another 4 mats would give you enough space for using the bench with dumbells and for doing work standing up as well as deadlifts.

i have 7 mats and it isn't enough, but then again i do have a hell of a lot of equipment including a treadmill, i hope to buy more mats in the future along with a spin bike.

Associate
OP

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks good, the bench is very well put together. One thing to keep in mind though is that it's pretty much impossible to do decline without a leg pad.

Soldato
2k will get you a lovely set up.

Just some thoughts from me, but feel free to ignore me!

Why get expensive adjustable dumbells? I have some but that's for the lounge so I needed something small and discreet. If this is a garage, why not just get some oly dumbells (even two sets of bars) and use them? Would save you some cash for a rowing machine or maybe some kettlebells or something a little different?

Also, get some good mats. It will be a massive faff to replace them in a few months if you get too few or too thin (trust me, I've done it!)

Caporegime
I intend to order:

And a treadmill for around £500 (i havn't decided what one yet).

good cardio equipment is very expensive especially treadmills.

i have this

http://www.nordictrack.co.uk/treadmills/interactive-series/nordictrack-t190.html

paid £900 ish iirc after cashback it was around £980 without iirc.

and it feels very cheap tbh compared to the stuff i am used to at virgin active (£1600 vs one worth £5000+).

£500 won't even get you a decent rower brand new never mind a treadmill.

concept 2 rowers are £1K ish and the only rower worth buying tbh.

£500 will however get you a half decent bike from restylefitness.

forget the treadmill tbh, i would get a spin bike at that price range. the minimum i would spend is £900 on one from restylefitness or well over £1750 brand new.

Associate
OP
Hi All,

Just got around to buying the weight gear for my gym. Finally moved out and cleared the garage haha.

I was just about to buy the CF475 power rack but then realised it may be too tall. As a result i went and measured and it is, as the garage has a quite low sloping roof which is annoying.

Which ranges from 81 inches to 77 inches (or there about). The CF475 is 83" so just a tiny bit too big.

Having a look around i can't find any at the slightly smaller height. Anyone have any alternative options?

Im thinking something like:

Marcy Pro PM4400

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom