• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2 8800GT dead?

Associate
I sold my friend my computer with a e8400, asus P5N-D motherboard and a 8800gt. About 2 weeks after he had it he told me the graphics card was no longer working and the machine beeped 4 times on start up with no display.

I gave him another 8800gt that I had and that fixed the problem but after about 4 weeks he has the same problem with the beeps and the no display. I tried both cards in my machine and they don't work and tried my ati hd5870 in his machine and it worked ok.

Is it the just that both 8800gt have gone at this time ie 2 years old or would it be something else causing the problem within the computer. He assures me he has not been overclocking these cards.

Associate
Chances are one of the following has occured:

Mobo could be overvolting the gpus and killing them.

Graphics card overheating due to bad ventillation in the case.

Or it could be that both 8800gt were just about to die (highly unlikely though).

I wouldn't recommend you test any expensive gpu on that pc. Best thing to do is get the cheapest gpu he can get (used 7800gt / x1900 or something) and test it.

Soldato
The PSU could be faulty and as a result there's to much fluctuation on the 12v rail i.e not delivering a clean voltage which is caused damage to the cards. Take heed of what raralis don't risk your expensive HD5870 in that PC, if it does have a faulty PSU then you risk damaging your own card.

Back
Top Bottom