2 ADSL routers connected together

Associate
I have just moved into a new house and it only has 2 telephone points. 1 in the hall and the other in the main bedroom. (Landlord does not want me drilling holes in walls to install more phone points)

I have my office setup in one of the lower bedrooms, where I have networked 3 PC's.

What i want is to be able to connect all of those pc's to the wireless network. Would I be able to connect a wireless adsl router to the phone line in the hall and then connect another adsl router in the office and bridge them together so that the networked computers i my office all have internet ?

Would this also extend the range/ speed of the wirless network ?

I dont really want to but wireless cards in each pc

Abz

Abz

Associate
Ofcourse you can.... :rolleyes: :p

Make sure both routers have wireless connectivity functions :p

How far are they apart as long as they not over 100Meters apart you should be ok.

Make sure you enable WEP !!!

Associate
OP
cool

I was thinking of getting the new netgear rangemax 300 routers so distance shouldnt be too much of a problems.
the wouldnt be more than 15 meters between them & 1 floor. Would be soo much easier with cables :(

I would love to be able to stream HD Video, but i doubt even thees routers will be able to stream properly

Caporegime
No you can't. If you connect two routers, neither would sync up. Assuming you're meaning connect both to the "phone line".

Nothing stopping you having one as a wireless client of the other, then using its switch ports for machines though, but you'd probably be as cheap (if not cheaper) with a switch + wireless AP.

Abz

Abz

Associate
Ofcourse did you think connect both routers to the phone line.... :rolleyes:

The problem is he cannot use wires so switch is out of the question.... unless he gets a wireless switch, which is way too much...

Get two routers:

1. as your main gateway to the internet

2. and the other as a clinet but both communicating wirelessly with the gateway. ;)

Bare in mind any good wireless router will be able to do that for you.

Last edited:
Associate
tolien said:
It wouldn't be a first...

Sadly I agree, had someone with a modem in each of two extension sockets as they had two PCs complaining they kept getting cut off ...

Personally like Tolien, I'd use a wireless Access Point rather than a second router.

Abz

Abz

Associate
I agree, Access point is good but future wise you can do more with a 2nd router. Eg if one fails you can test by configuring the other...

If want to spend a little less then get access point instead

Associate
OP
No i didnt think about connecting both to a line, you can't buy a fast access point at tme moment, so i had thought of buying 2 adsl routers, only 1 connected to the phone line :)

Back
Top Bottom