2 Computers, swapping hardware help!

Associate
I have 2 Computers guys one been a Packard Bell and one been a Custom built.
My question is can i swap the hardware from one machine to the other and still have 2 working PC's?
I understand i'd have to reinstall Operating Systems but i've uploaded both CPUZ Summary files so if anyone could tell me if i can swap my hardware around i'd be most greatful!

Here are links to CPU Z Summary

GIGABYTE PC > http://www.mediafire.com/?msqztndsiub
CPUZ Verification > http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=539329

MSI G33 PC > http://www.mediafire.com/?3x2xyygvzjx
CPUZ Verification > http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=539820

Thanks guys =]

Permabanned
It's easier for us if you take a screenshot of cpu-z etc and upload it as a picture, rather than us downloading a file.

As said, we need to know what you want to swap, to tell you how to do it...

Associate
OP
GigaByte!

CPUZGigabyte.jpg

MSI!
CPUZMSI.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Oh sorry, thought that motherboard was on the list. gimme a min to look some stuff up.

Well those processors are almost the same, they're both prescott P4s at 3ghz. The vcore on the 531 is higher, so it'll get hotter, but I don't see a point in swapping them, unless the temperature is a big problem.

What graphics cards do you have?

RAM wise, they both have DDR2, just the stuff in the bottom machine is faster.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well the bottom machine is one i built on budget! Is the processor in the second machines lightly better?

I have a Geforce 8600GT In the first computer and a 7300LE in the Second one, i have 4gb of ram in the first computer but it can only address 3gb, it says the maximum is 4gb but with gfx card it goes to 3gb, the second computer has a 8gb limit which means i can have my gfx card and still see all my ram.

Permabanned
The processor in the second is newer IIRC (higher fsb), but it actually has a lower clockspeed (3ghz, not 3.06) TBH, I wouldn't bother swapping, there'd be little point.

You should easily be able to swap those two graphics cards, they're both pci-e.

With the RAM, what combination of sticks do you have in each machine?

What are you planning on using each machine for?

Associate
OP
Well i just want to have a spare machine that can be used if one faults or maybe even sold if needed.

The processor issue, i have a beastly heat sink in the first computer which is maybe why it is cooler

My main uses are 3D Software (Cinema 4D, 3DSMax), Entertainment (music,videos,PC games) browsing internets, downloading.

I machine 1 i have x2 2048 sticks, in the second machine i have x2 1024 sticks

Permabanned
Well if you want the bottom PC to be your primary, and a bit faster, swap the RAM and graphics cards around.

the RAM is a straight swap, but you will have to play around with speeds and stuff, downclocking the 2gb which is now in the top machine, and either running the RAM in the bottom at it's default, or overclocking it up to the speed that the old RAM was at.

Soldato
Well the bottom machine is one i built on budget! Is the processor in the second machines lightly better?

I have a Geforce 8600GT In the first computer and a 7300LE in the Second one, i have 4gb of ram in the first computer but it can only address 3gb, it says the maximum is 4gb but with gfx card it goes to 3gb, the second computer has a 8gb limit which means i can have my gfx card and still see all my ram.

The memory limit in the first PC is Vista32bit, The second PC has XP32bit.. Same limitation. It doesnt matter if your motherboard supports 128GB of ram, 32bit Windows will see 4gb, and then subtract enough to make room for the graphics card.

Yes the processor in the second computer is a newer one, with an 800mhz FSB, instead of a 533FSB. Even though the second is 3.0Ghz, and the first is 3.06Ghz the difference in FSB speed make the second better.

Your 1st computer appears to have 266mhz DDR2, and the second 333DDR2, in theory the second is better memory, but both are bottlenecked by the CPU's FSB's anyway, so in reality not much difference.

Unless you upgrade to 64bit windows, all that swapping around isnt going to achieve very much, you could more easily just swap the ram and gpu, unless you really hate the case of the second computer.

Associate
OP
Thanks Corasik but here's the thing, this whole idea came about from my problem of 64bit Vista not been able to read all 4gb =\

I have Windows Vista,SP1 and Windows XP SP3 dual booting and it show's exactly 3gb of RAM on both operating systems, the reason i installed Vista 64Bit was to try and get all of my 4gb which still doesn't happen =[

I have no memory map option in my bios but i heard you can enable PAE on 32bit XP which removes the limit?

Back
Top Bottom