2 monitors, 1 HDMI, Windows 7 = BSOD

Soldato
Well it's not that simple but I have an ATI 7850 with a DVI and HDMI output, both my monitors are DVI, so I bought a HDMI to DVI adapter for the second monitor.

The problem is that I get random BSOD with the second monitor plugged in via HDMI to DVI, it can take minutes or up to an hour before the BSOD but every time it's the same ati driver file (can't remember the exact one).

Windows 7 64bit, happened from a fresh install with last 4 variants of the AMD drivers.

I've seen a few supposed fixes on the net that say update the HDMI driver but when I try I just get told by Windows it's the latest version already.

Is this a hardware issue i.e. HDMI to DVI or software?

Computer has been absolutely rock solid and stable aside from this.

Caporegime
Is the clock speed on your graphics card increasing with having 2 monitors connected?

See what the clock speed is with 1 monitor connected and then see what it is with 2 connected.

Caporegime
It's a common issue, google 7970 and dual monitors and there are numerous reports of this, i'd hazard a guess to say the same issue is affecting your 7850. Most believe the issue to be driver related.

Best bet would be to try various driver sets. I have had no issues with the 12.5 Betas and also the release driver for the 7970, although naturally the performance of that driver isn't the best.

Caporegime
Thanks for that. Does that mean you've had the issue with other drivers?

I might try the 12.5 as I'm currently on the .4's.

Had problems with 12.2, 12.3 and 12.4. Don't recall having a BSOD on 12.5s, certainly didn't have a GPU related BSOD on the RC11 drivers (http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-radeon-hd-7900-driver-89212-rc11/) - performance was down a good 5-10% using this driver in Heaven.

Another option that i've seen that may help is to use a mini DP to DVI adaptor instead of using the HDMI converter. If your card has a mini DP port of course, i'm assuming it will.

I begrudged paying extra for an adapter purely because ATI can't sort their drivers out though ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
The 12.3 works fine for me, using a HDMI to DVI adapter for my second monitor here. I have noticed though when updating drivers, you need to fully uninstall the exisiting one with control panel and device manager. Installing over the top doesn't seem to work for me.

Soldato
OP
Well this is frustrating.

I ditched the HDMI to DVI converter (assumed it was the problem) and got myself a MiniDV to DVI converter.

Same problem, after a while, blank screen turns to a BSOD.

I noticed that my GPU jumps from 300MHz to 900MHz periodically even when just browsing the web and doing lite office tasks.

Associate
I assume amongst all this you have tested the various combinations of the DVI / HDMI connectors on both monitors?

Have you tried checking temps on the card when both are plugged in and the voltage using MSI?

Those clock jumps will be because it's now processing something and is being "spooled" up as it were my 560 "idles" at 400 ish and leaps to 900 when gaming.

Soldato
OP
I assume amongst all this you have tested the various combinations of the DVI / HDMI connectors on both monitors?

Have you tried checking temps on the card when both are plugged in and the voltage using MSI?

Those clock jumps will be because it's now processing something and is being "spooled" up as it were my 560 "idles" at 400 ish and leaps to 900 when gaming.

I'm wondering if I have a PSU issue, if I drop the core clock down to 750MHz thus far it appears stable, no BSOD in the past two hours. :confused:

Associate
Hmm, perhaps run some tests on Heaven etc really push it to see what's happening.

Was the only recent change the adapter? no other changes i.e the cards new etc?

Soldato
OP
Hmm, perhaps run some tests on Heaven etc really push it to see what's happening.

Was the only recent change the adapter? no other changes i.e the cards new etc?

The story goes I built a new pc, completely fresh Win7 64bit install.

Plugged in second screen = bang.

Nothing has changed since and the system is 100% rock solid and has been for months... until of course you add the 2nd monitor.

Soldato
OP
whats the rest of your config ?

Win 7 Pro 64bit
AMD 960T (6 cores unlocked) 4GHz @1.37v
Asus Sabbertooth 990FX
16GB DDR3 running stock volts, within spec
AMD 7850 (stock clocks now)
4x 256GB Crucial M4
1x Hitachi Desktar 500GB (backup drive)

And perhaps the Achilles heel, xClio 550w PSU.

That said I measured the power draw at the wall and the system is under 170W for desktop work, benching and gaming it'll hit 300W at most.

So, the PSU isn't being stressed but then it's 7 years old so could be the weak link, or am I clutching at straws?

Also since I've under-clocked my HD 7850 down 100MHz the system has been stable. Makes me think it's a voltage issue.

Soldato
What error is the BSOD saying and what do your event logs state at the time of this happening ? Just that PSU you are using has me a bit worried and the event logs may mention a power problem when it shows the BSOD.

Associate
I might say the PSU might struggle, especially because its not one of the bigger, well branded ones (such as Corsair, OCZ, XFX etc). If you have a spare one, might be worth trying, however I'd get yourself a ~600W branded one, although you should be able to run everything in your spec OK with a 450-500W.

Back
Top Bottom