2 PCs and 1 Monitor How To Switch???

Associate
I got 2 PCs, one running DP and one running HDMI to the same monitor (LG 34UM95).

Peripherals are: Corsair k95 platinum (2x USB cable) & Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless with dongle.

What's the best way to switch PCs with this monitor without unplugging any cables at the back of each PC?

The monitor has: 3x USB inputs, 1x USB Up (which needs to be connected to the PC for the peripherals to work).

I was thinking of getting a USB Up splitter like this then running 1 cable from each PC into the splitter, whilst having the corsair and logitech connected to the 3x USB inputs in the monitor.

Would this work?

Then all I gotta do it switch between DP/HDMI depending on which PC is on.

Not sure what would happen if both PCs on at once, which one would the peripherals work with :confused:

Man of Honour
For the monitor: I find it easier to just use the monitor buttons for this, because KVMs that support DP/HDMI tend to be expensive, whereas KVMs that just support USB and maybe VGA are cheap.

Not sure what would happen if both PCs on at once, which one would the peripherals work with :confused:
With a KVM, it just depends what one you have the switch, uhh, switched to.

Using the monitor itself as a KVM for USB can work, but you can get awkward issues like the monitor cutting power when it is suspended and you can't wake the PC.

Soldato
@pallys has the right of it. Be careful to check that the KVM supports your resolution at your refresh rate. A more low-tech solution would be to have two keyboards and two mice and just switch inputs on the monitor. If you go the latter route I suggest colour-coding the peripherals, e.g. having a white keyboard and mouse for the second PC.

But do you really need to switch between them? Can you RDP from one to the other?

Associate
OP
Wouldn't KVM HDMI mean I have to have HDMIs for both PCs as opposed to 1x HDMI and 1x DP?

Also can't I just KVM switch the USB Up and flick between HDMI/DP input using the monitor buttons?

LG-24UM95-review-montior-rear-ports.jpg

I'm not going to be switching from one PC to the other at rapid pace. 1 PC is for entertainment and the other is for stocks/financial stuff. I just don't wanna pull cables out.

Associate
You can get a dp to hdmi converter for a few quid, that's what I did.

Heres a link to the ugreen manufacturer page of the kvm I bought, it cost me about £25. https://uk.ugreen.com/collections/c...kvm-4k-60hz-switch-for-2-pcs-hdmi-4-usb-ports

Press a button and it flicks between the 2 machines.

There are software options like RDP someone mentioned and also virtualisaton using the likes of virtualbox or vmware which has now has a free for home version I think.

Don't sound like you need 2 pcs, you could even have 2 user accounts on 1 windows install and lock them down for your specifics.

Associate
OP
Don't sound like you need 2 pcs, you could even have 2 user accounts on 1 windows install and lock them down for your specifics.
I've done that before without success. Back in 2020 had 2x SSDs, 1 running Win 10, one running Win 8.1 on duel boot. The Win 10 SSD corrupted (maybe a virus?) and took out the Win 8.1 install so it wouldn't boot.

Had to reinstall Win 10, then access my files from the Win 8.1 drive as if it were an external HD. Didn't lose anything but was a close call.

The 2nd PC I built is literally my old Haswell PC but simplified (only 1 SSD, no CD drive etc). I only had to buy a PSU and £15 graphics card to get it working.

Soldato
I work from home and have the following setup

PC to Monitor via DP
Laptop to Monitor via HDMI

The monitor auto detects what 1 is on, If I do need to switch between the 2 then I can use the monitor menu to switch.

I then have a USB switch that connects to each via a cable and again it detects what PC is on and I can use the keyboard\mouse on whatever system is running. listed below, quite old now though and no longer available but gives you an idea of what to look for.

This saves me having to disconnect and move my keyboard\mouse over every time I wish to swap between the 2.

Soldato
Got a similar setup to the above.

When one machine goes to sleep the monitors cycle inputs and finds the other machine.

For keyboard and mouse I use the Logitech's with regard I press a button to switch between Bluetooth (work machine) and WiFi dongle for personal machine.

Granted takes a few moments for the screens to cycle inputs but it does me ok.

Associate
OP
I then have a USB switch that connects to each via a cable and again it detects what PC is on and I can use the keyboard\mouse on whatever system is running. listed below, quite old now though and no longer available but gives you an idea of what to look for.

That's what I was saying in OP but instead of having a separate USB hub like your link the monitor itself will be the hub and the 2 cables coming out the back of your hub will be split USB feeds to the monitor.

Associate
I got 2 PCs, one running DP and one running HDMI to the same monitor (LG 34UM95).

Peripherals are: Corsair k95 platinum (2x USB cable) & Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless with dongle.

What's the best way to switch PCs with this monitor without unplugging any cables at the back of each PC?

The monitor has: 3x USB inputs, 1x USB Up (which needs to be connected to the PC for the peripherals to work).

I was thinking of getting a USB Up splitter like this then running 1 cable from each PC into the splitter, whilst having the corsair and logitech connected to the 3x USB inputs in the monitor.

Would this work?

Then all I gotta do it switch between DP/HDMI depending on which PC is on.

You want:-

Ugreen 4 Port USB 3.0 5Gbps High-Speed Switch Selector

Hit up google and you can get ii next day.

Caporegime
I just flick the input on the monitor and then use a 20 quid usb/kvn switch from the rainforest to flip my keyboard, mouse and headset between machines.

Work and gaming pcs both share the same gear then with no performance compromise.
This tbh. When I work from home I have the work laptop connected via HDMI and the gaming PC connected via DP. I have a USB switch with mouse and keyboard connected with one lead off to the laptop and one to the desktop. I change inputs on the monitor and the switch changes automatically when a device is powered up. If I work in the office I just unplug the HDMI and USB connector.

Associate
OP
Just to update I did what I said I would try in OP and it works fine... don't need KVM switch. Because it's USB Type B to power the ports at the back of the monitor I used a type B to regular USB adapter, then a small splitter and a couple USB extension cables I already had 1 going to each PC.

Only issue I'm having now is the ethernet splitter is causing no internet when it's connected to the other PC EVEN WHEN IT'S OFF. So I have to keep pulling out the ethernet cable of the PC not being used, so the PC being used can have internet... weird. Not a big issue as the ethernet splitter is easily in my reach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom