2 seater with a family, some advice

Soldato
I don’t understand the 2 seater justification point. The real question you need to ask is if spending £100k on a car is something you can really afford going into what looks like a considerable recession.

If so, then crack on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Sorry for only just replying!

Money isn’t the issue, it really was just about it being a 2 seater and the potential headaches or limitations that brings with 2 kids as well as the guilt I was feeling for bringing on those limitations myself. I decided to go ahead with it, so providing his camera angles and filming skills are extremely good at hiding some glaring problems, then I’ll bring it home Monday

Last edited:
Associate

Money isn’t the issue, it really was just about it being a 2 seater and the potential headaches or limitations that brings with 2 kids as well as the guilt I was feeling for bringing on those limitations myself. I decided to go ahead with it, so providing his camera angles and filming skills are extremely good at hiding some glaring problems, then I’ll bring it home Monday
From my experience I would say that having a 2 door car with 2 children will get old very quickly. There must be some 4 door cars that would provide the same (or nearly) thrills/driving experience, but would allow a normal entry/exit for the children. Moving car sets from car to car, or getting a stroller into the boot, etc is much easier with the ability to open a door rather than try to get it through the front door aperture. If it was me I would look at an Audi E Tron GT. 4 seats, great build quality, remainder of three year warranty and much greater practicality. They are also pretty rare (at least round here they are).

Soldato
Inb4 constantly wearing AM baseball cap on the weekend while driving the Qashqai and telling everyone you meet your other car is an AM.

I play football with someone like that.

Picked up some kit from his place as he was going away, and he grabbed it out of a qashqai - literally said “this is the wife’s car, she’s borrowed mine”

I was like “cool”

• Haha
Reactions: LiE

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

For me personally it would be the nagging feeling that the least used car is the most expensive (by quite a bit) and the car I do all the family outings/majority driving is boring. Having a really expensive thing that isn't used much doesn't work for me, as you know. I don't know about you but 95% of my driving happens at the weekend with my family which is fine because our family car I enjoy. If you asked me to drive a mundane SUV on holidays and weekends I'd be unhappy, even if I could drive something special on the occasion.

Also 100K for a weekend toy vs bogo SUV as the main car feels unbalanced. Maybe if your SUV was a Porsche Cayenne or a Audi SQ5 it would be all good.

Last edited:
Soldato
A 2 seater with a family sounds a lot of hassle. Every day is going to have to be planned ahead and I'm sure things will pop up that you can't plan / forget. You'll be living your life around a car.

dod

dod

Soldato
Money isn’t the issue,
That's the key thing here, that and the fact that you said you could even keep the merc. If you can afford it, do it. My cousin just died at the age of 52. He was apparently healthy.

If you've got the money, you want this, the family's good with it, JFDI. You never know, you may never get the chance again. At the end of the day you can always sell it.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
A 2 seater with a family sounds a lot of hassle. Every day is going to have to be planned ahead and I'm sure things will pop up that you can't plan / forget. You'll be living your life around a car.

What will likely happen in reality is that @Steedie will end up driving the SUV far more often and getting fed up that he doesn't get much use out of his £100K AM sat on the drive, then he will sell it :p

Associate
What will likely happen in reality is that @Steedie will end up driving the SUV far more often and getting fed up that he doesn't get much use out of his £100K AM sat on the drive, then he will sell it :p

This does happen and you start to think what's the point, but you can have some fun for a few months and scratch that itch, you'll only know if it is for you or not if you have done it, no one really know what is acceptable for you and your family.

It'll help if your missus will drive it in a pinch if you need 4 seats, I bought an MX-5 as my car and the missus won't even get in it as a passenger, she feels too vulnerable so it only works for us as a 3rd car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I get a similar feeling from having my motorbike sat there doing about 1k miles a year, every now and again I think the £5k could be put to better use then I take it out and remember why it's not getting sold:D

• Haha
Reactions: LiE
Soldato
I would say the key to success here is having a plan & use case for the AM. I know plenty of people with a fun 2 seater and family wagon, the thing to do is have a defined reason for using the AM beyond waiting for the moment. Get some trips/car shows with your lad/events etc. planned and it will have a lot more value than being 'the nice car we don't use much'. Can't wait to see it :cool:

gl;hf.

Man of Honour
OP
You eyeing up anything else now you're not going for the AM?

Negative

Nothing I'd want more than the AM. I did have a brief spell looking at 911's, but after talking to a friend about them, who's also on the boards, I'd be looking to get an older one for that NA noise and I don't really want to be running an "older" car as a daily. 991.2 and 992's just sound dead and they'd feel slow as well coming from a 600bhp C63, and as much as I'd love to get a Turbo, they don't quite fit in my budget :D

I'm just going to have to wait until we move in a couple of years and hopefully have three parking spaces. The faff of planning around a car, and knowing how my girlfriend treats her car, would mean I'd be forever on edge about something coming up that could cause a headache with the car situation, or her damaging it like she has both of her previous cars (only a matter of time for the current one I'm sure :D)

Last edited:
Soldato
You eyeing up anything else now you're not going for the AM?
Has there been an update in a different thread or something? I thought he was getting the AM?

As for something else, but similar(ish) - what about a Maser GranTurismo or GranCabrio? Similar sort of proposition, but it does have 4 seats, so more usable.

Man of Honour
OP
Has there been an update in a different thread or something? I thought he was getting the AM?

As for something else, but similar(ish) - what about a Maser GranTurismo or GranCabrio? Similar sort of proposition, but it does have 4 seats, so more usable.

No I should have updated this thread but it was only really sorted yesterday, where I decided not to go ahead, partly due to a dealership messing me about as well, but mostly because of the issues. I could have made it work, 100%, but it would have definitely added stress, it would have meant extra planning and potential arguments when the car is the reason we can't do this or that, and as mentioned, she'd have to drive it from time to time, and I really wouldn't have been too comfortable with that :D

So ultimately, until I'm in a position to have a third car and not have to park it on the street, it's not happening. My next car will definitely be a Vantage, 100%, but I just need it to be at a time when it's going to be an enjoyable experience and not one that's stressful when I'm not driving it

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a 911 for maybe 5 years when the kids were young, rear facing seats sat in it fine (and obviously forward facing did too). I suspect an AM would probably feeling more tourer than sporty (more c63 than 911). I'm nut up on the different models, but don't they do a 2+2 version of something current? I'm not dissing AMs, BTW, they they sound fantastic, they just seem to be quite underpowered imo :D . I've had 2 door cars for 8 years with kids and it wasn't too bad, but 4 seaters are definitely easier than 5, as the buckles protrude more and are easier to get at, infact my last car both kids just strapped themselves in (5 and 8 at the time).

Back
Top Bottom