£200 Camera

Associate
Could you guys spec me a camera for my daughter for Christmas. Can be used and want to spend £200-250 Video doesn't matter too much. It's for general photography nothing specific. I'm so out of the loop on cameras these days. Was looking at Canon m100's but just read a scathing review. Thanks for any help

Associate
OP
Does she want a degree of control such as the ability to play around with aperture, shutter etc or use on auto to beging with? MPB allow you to sort from low price and there are a few in your price range

Thanks I'll take a look. I can't see her getting "into" changing lenses, aperture etc but you never know. She's been asking for a camera for a while and I want to support the hobby interest without wasting a bunch on something she then doesn't use. :cry:

Associate
I've just got a Canon 100d for £140 body only from CEX. Shutter count 1000 immaculate.
Picked up a 18-135 stm from MPB for £164. Bit over budget. Can get a 18-55 stm or 50mm 1.8 stm for £50.
Missus managed get a 700d for £160.

Soldato
If buying used i would get a sony rx100 MK 3

they are holding their value so stupidly well that if you buy well and it is reliable you can get almost all you money back 20 months down the line

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I've just got a Canon 100d for £140 body only from CEX. Shutter count 1000 immaculate.
Picked up a 18-135 stm from MPB for £164. Bit over budget. Can get a 18-55 stm or 50mm 1.8 stm for £50.
Missus managed get a 700d for £160.
@Klunt Bumskrint I did this exact same thing for my daughter last Christmas, Canon 100d and a 15-55 both from MPB came in at just over £200, size wise is perfect for my 10yr old and she's keen to learn and copy my photography, she's progressed from a Vtech kids cam to a compact and now onto the DLSR.

Associate
Any recommendations on which actual cameras are good?
It really depends on many things. Does she want to build the system and change lenses? Does she want a small camera that's easy to carry around? Many people can be put off by the thought of changing lenses in the early stages of their photography journey. The Sony RX100 range are very small and light. The Panasonic TZ range similar. Panasonic FZ range are bigger but offer greater zoom range. From the link I shared have a look at those in budget and read reviews on sites such as DPReview.

Soldato
There's a shop called UPG24 on eBay that I bought my camera from, along with lenses and accessories. They're great for support should an issue arise and are great to talk to. Got loads of bundles that are in budget that can help you get a load of gear to begin with.

DSLR with a single lens to cover 18-100mm range will be more than enough at the start to learn with.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought a Canon 100d from our local CEX last year, thought it would make a handy spare, it's not a bad camera at all, as a bonus the EF lenses seem to be getting cheaper now the R Series is flying along, a nice short telephoto zoom would be ideal for a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom