2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
After the demise of my Teg

teg1.jpg

I decided I wanted another rare focused Honda car.

Can you guess what it is?

Soldato
OP
You just CANT be a car person, which your previous car purchase would suggest. Drexel downsized, and got a cheap Golf GTI. Downsizing does not mean you have to sell your motoring soul.

I test drove one and liked it. Go me.

It will do 100MPG on petrol. Its rare. It has zero tax. The muppet in the SLK has dented my insurance significantly. Its a tool for my job. Im a qualified aerospace engineer - this interests me as it wasn't styled with a pencil. Im working on hybrid vehicles at work - this interests me with its tech. Its pretty much depreciation free.

Do the math on 75MPG compared to 34.

My Integra was too capable for commuting, so far I missing a lot more road noise and a bigger .hole in my wallet for 450miles a week.

I love how no one says nice thing when you have a good car but this gets 100x more comments in an afternoon :D

Soldato
OP
If anyone is interested in a bit more whats under the ugly shell...

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/index.html

Battery is a 6.5Ah unit but with a window of only 4Ah to avoid over discharge and over charge on the NiMH unit so a lot are around 85% of new capacity. This one has had the packs rebalanced so each cell is recharged as the charging of a large old pack like this is based on path of least resistance rather than least state of charge.

Just need to work out lean burn better and you can sit at 25:1 AFR pulling 100+ MPG.

838kg and a Cd of 0.25 with a flat floor body. :cool:

Im only really interested in them after driving a few hybrids at work and then seeing the Insight more for what it is underneath after years of knowing nothing and discounting it based on looks. This makes a great evaluation tool for my company and strangly in engineering you dont need to roll up in a BMW/Merc to make the right kind of impression.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;13601677 said:
<snip boring costs of low road tax>

How much are new batteries?

£2700 from Honda, new insight shares the battery pack with much larger volumes. Its just aload of D cell batteries welded in strips though, Panasonic Auto spec ones to cope with the high current discharge and charge rates.

There is one with a K20 engine in aswell, still does 50MPG (US)

Soldato
OP
Nearly £3k for some batteries! How long do they tend to last for?

I gave the wrong impression there. You can do it for about £300. These are original batteries and the trick is to keep it as full as possible as you dont get lean burn with the extra regen load in cruise. So in terms of cycles (only 4Ah of 6.5Ah its not really an issue) this car wont drive in pure EV as its essentially an electric flywheel assisting the engine.

The batteries just mean its like a 1.5L when you need it, they dont really help the excellent cruise performance.

I could have got an NSX and had smoke blown up my ass but at the end of the day i'd be the one who has to pay for other peoples wood.

Soldato
OP
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/lht-performance/425659-k20a-insight-lht.html

Epic lols, I love it. How are they getting those mpg figures though, just from the loss of weight? The EP3 is 1200kg on the factory specs. The insight can't be much less with a K20 in surely? Seeing as I get 20-25mpg daily (12 miles NSL, 4 miles town) those are some bold figures. Doesn't mention retaining the IMA aspect.

Its 838kg with a 0.25 Cd.

On the K20 the lack of drag allows 19:1 AFR to run fine on a non lean designed engine.

IMA is a 20mm sandwich between box and engine, no extra mass really as the magnets serve the purpose of a flywheel. The batteries are just 22kg.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;13602318 said:
You just said you were futureproof so I doubt resale is on your mind any time in the near future. So I'll ask again.

How much is a 51 plate Civic 1.4 in comparison with this car?

Dont start your usual bullstein lecturing people. I dont want a Civic 1.4 therefore I am not aware of the second hand values of a mass produced profit car. Hence I bought a car I have been interested in since July last year. You could tell me, enlighten me and raise some interesting discussion though, afterall im happy to take some flak on this forum as I know my usual style.

I have an all aluminium R&D test mule. To me, thats cool.

Soldato
OP
On a more serious note since i've only skim read the thread, you said something about the battery pack only being used when a boost in power is needed, in that case its quite amazing if it can get 100mpg, however i'm not sure the £1500 saving a year over a 34mpg car is worth it.

Indeed and my replacement would have been better of fuel than the Teg anyway. BUT my insurance is now fault claim and 1 years bonus + road tax and more use than business miles makes it sensible enough IMO to go for something different.

Theres only really road noise, wind noise is pretty much absent in the car at speed, you dont even need the brakes and regen does most of that.

Soldato
OP
his stubbornness is outstanding

He's not even willing to entertain that the car doesnt make the financial sense that pure figures would suggest.

At which point did I seriously suggest it did? Of course a lot of these calculations seem to hint at any car used in the maths being worth £0 at the point where I sell it.

I should step out of OCUK motors right now if I was not stubborn! This thread is open season for Fox.

Im flattered people are recognising that I had a DC2 now after 4 years, although saying that I did have one for 4 years....

Soldato
OP
I discounted the CVT. Tend to be imports with less history, and the CVT although good will hurt MPG. The yank CVT's dont have lean burn (which is why they meet SULEV due to the NOx on the manual even though the car stores it until purge) however the jap imports you get are lean burn.

Just come home in it and really enjoying the totally different driving, its pretty quick midrange in 2nd gear right to the limiter at 70mph, I think its prob as fast as my 1.8 Focus there. 5th is actually geared to 195mph :eek:

Back
Top Bottom