2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
New aero chief at BMW Sauber

The BMW Sauber F1 Team is boosting its aerodynamics division: in mid-March, 53-year-old Willem Toet is set to take over the reins at the department based in Hinwil, Switzerland.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen: “Signing up Willem Toet marks a key step in the expansion of the BMW Sauber F1 Team’s aerodynamics department at Hinwil. Willem Toet looks back on more than 20 years of Formula One experience in this field and will find in Hinwil a first-rate wind tunnel and exceptional computer facilities. He will support us in the further expansion of the department’s staff and will provide input for the design of the car for season 2007.”

Toet on his new assignment: “I’m really looking forward to the job. Any development phase is by nature very intensive and affords a lot of opportunities. I will be doing my utmost to help the BMW Sauber F1 Team on the road to success.”

Willem Toet was born in Amsterdam (NLD) on 29th March 1952. He grew up in Australia where, after completing his degree, he began his professional path with the Ford Motor Company. From 1977 he focused his career exclusively on motor racing, initially working on touring cars, Formula 2 and Formula Ford racers. In 1982 he moved to England to work for the sports car racing team of Ray Mallock.

1985 marked the start of his Formula One career with the then Toleman Team, later to become Benetton. At the end of 1994 he joined Ferrari and spent four years in Italy as their aerodynamics chief. He returned to England in 1999 to become senior aerodynamicist at British American Racing (now Honda Racing F1 Team).

Man of Honour
OP
'06 rules 'will help Ferrari' - Massa

New scarlet signing Felipe Massa has confessed that the FIA's latest rule changes 'will help' Ferrari.

Speaking to the press at the traditional Ferrari winter event in the Italian dolomites, the young Brazilian referred to the scrapping of the one-tyre per grand prix rule.

Under the 2005 regime, Bridgestone-tyred Ferrari won just a single race against Michelin rivals -- the all-Bridgestone Indy farce.

"There have not been many rules in recent years that have helped us," Massa, 24, told reporters, "but this does."

New boy Felipe's opinion is not one that teammate Michael Schumacher openly shares, although he does admit that the red cars will at least no longer run out of rubber at the end of races.

The German, 37, told Der Spiegel: "But if we're still one second behind in qualifying, changing tyres during the race won't do us much good. "We have to improve on our own strength."

Massa, however, says that he is already noticing an improvement with Bridgestone's latest breed of '06 tyre. His testing teammate Marc Gene, a Spaniard, agrees with Massa: "In fact, we are a bit ahead of where we expected to be," he explained, "although there is still work to do."

Man of Honour
OP
'06 to be Mild Seven's last blast

2006 will likely be tobacco brand Mild Seven's final year in F1.

The long-time Benetton/Renault sponsor, according to speculation, will apparently stick to its current contract - which expires this year - but join Lucky Strike (Honda) and West (McLaren) in farewelling the sport amidst the backdrop of the European advert ban.

2006 will also be Lucky Strike's final season, after parent company British American Tobacco sold BAR to Honda. West left McLaren mid last season.

Mild Seven is owned by Japan Tobacco. The latest speculation will add fuel to gossip that Renault is also preparing to withdraw from F1.

The French carmaker's new chief, Carlos Ghosn, is likely to make an announcement about the future of Renault in F1 next month.

Man of Honour
OP
Alonso fears Bridgestone revival

World champion Fernando Alonso fears that the Bridgestone teams could leave the likes of Renault and McLaren trailing in 2006.

Toyota and Williams have joined Ferrari on Bridgestone’s books this year, and the return of tyre changes in races is expected to favour the Japanese company’s designs.

Alonso admits to being spooked by the impressive pace that Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari set during testing at Jerez earlier this week.

According to autosport.com, Alonso told reporters in Spain: “It looks like Bridgestone is in very good shape and I’m afraid they could have another season like two years ago and dominate the way they did.

“I hope Michelin does something to avoid that.”

The Bridgestone-shod Ferraris blitzed the 2004 season, winning 15 out of 18 races.

Alonso was speaking after testing Renault’s new R26 chassis for the first time.

He had to delay his first run slightly after suffering muscle pain before heading out of the pits.

Once on track, he set the third quickest time of the day, and was the best of the V8 runners.

“The good news for me is that the new car was still easy to drive, it was consistent when we did some longer runs, and we didn’t have any mechanical problems today,” said Alonso.

Renault was the last manufacturer to run its V8 on track, preferring to test with a detuned V10 before Christmas.

Some thought that was a risky tactic, but Alonso reckons that the V8’s strong early performance has vindicated Renault’s strategy.

“We didn’t have any problems, and the feeling was similar to the simulation we have been running this winter,” he said.

“That was good because it means we have already prepared well in our testing.”

Man of Honour
Drivers blamed for lack of passing
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone believes that the blame for a lack of overtaking in Grand Prix racing should be aimed at the drivers rather than car designers.

Although there is no doubt that the complex aerodynamics of modern F1 cars have made it difficult for drivers to overtake, Ecclestone insists that it is still possible for plenty of passing moves to take place.

And on the back of the sensational Japanese Grand Prix last year, where Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso charged through the field from the back of the grid, Ecclestone has said he is baffled about why there are so many times drivers claim they cannot overtake.

"You have to ask the drivers about it," he said at the Autosport International Show. "If they want to overtake there is nothing stopping them.

"When someone gets sent to the back of the grid they don't seem to have many problems getting through to second or third but when they start third they seem to have a problem getting through to first."

The FIA has vowed to introduce a radical Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) double rear wing for 2008 in a bid to help drivers overtake.

Why is it every time the wee gnome opens his mouth I want to punch him :mad:

I took a look at the lap chart for the Japanese GP last year to see whether shortie was talking garbage or not. Yes, there are overtaking moves and they're there for 2 reasons :- 1) Alonso or Kimi vs Klien, Massa, Villeneuve etc is only going to work one way, when one car is 2 seconds a lap faster he'll get passed. 2) Suzuka - there are places to overtake!

Now compare that to Magny Cours - Kimi started 13 yet came through to 2nd without having to make a pass. Why? Because it's less risky to make the passes in the pitlane and possibly settle for 8pts for a second rather than risk a possible DNF going for a pass for 10pts and a win.

Now if it's obvious for someone like me that hasn't been to a GP in 5 years then surely someone who's there every fortnight should be able to see it quite clearly. Or is he too wee to see over the pit wall :p

Man of Honour
Toyota plan revised car for Monaco
Toyota plan to introduce a revised version of their 2006 Formula One car by the Monaco Grand Prix in May, says technical director Mike Gascoyne.

Toyota were the first of the 10 teams to get their new V8-powered car on the test track in November and Gascoyne said that the TF106 version would be replaced by a TF106B after the first six races.

"It's a measure of the pace that you need to develop," he told reporters at a pre-season event in a Toyota car factory in northern France at the weekend.

"It's very blurred what defines a new car now. Toyota are proving that, in that it's constant update. The designation 106 or 107 is just a year designation for convenience sake, it really is a process of constant evolution and development."

Gascoyne said the car that will start the season in Bahrain on March 12th was a marked improvement on its predecessors and early testing of it had allowed Toyota to make further developments.

The team decided late last season to switch from Michelin tyres to Bridgestone for 2006.

"If we'd rolled out a new car for January, we still couldn't have incorporated any of the things we'd learned from testing Bridgestones in November," said Gascoyne.

"We can now react and introduce the TF106B bearing in mind all that we've learned from testing".

Gascoyne said the rear end of this year's car boasted a very different rear suspension layout to last year's.

Toyota finished last season fourth overall, their best performance since they entered the sport in 2002, and are aiming for their first race win this year.

We're three weeks into the new year, two and a half months from the season opener and already Toyota are talking about major car revisions. Now either the TF106 is a total dog or, more likely, they have a lot of cash swilling about. I'd be willing to bet if they found a way to get more power from burning banknotes rather than petrol they'd go for it.

Man of Honour
OP
No team orders at Honda

Honda Racing’s sporting director Gil de Ferran has given a categorical assurance that the Brackley-based squad’s two drivers will not be subject to team orders.

The arrival of Rubens Barrichello on Honda’s driving strength alongside Jenson Button is likely to give rise to an intense rivalry of a kind that did not exist when the more junior Takuma Sato was the Briton’s team-mate.

But de Ferran says he relishes the prospect of lively competition between Button and Barrichello since it could propel the team to greater heights.

Speaking at the Autosport International Show, de Ferran said: “I think that having a very competitive pair fighting for the top positions is a problem any team would like to have.

“A lot has been said about trying to deal with competitive drivers and so forth, but it is like paying tax. You only pay tax if you make money, and making money is a good thing.

“That problem [of possible tension between the drivers] will only arrive if we are competitive and up at the front, fighting for wins and podiums.

“That is a problem I would love to have.”

De Ferran went on to guarantee that the two drivers will have equal treatment at each race.

“There will be no clear number one and number two drivers,” he said.

“We will support both drivers with equipment and personnel to the same extent and to the best of our ability.

“There will be none of this, ‘you will win the race and you will not’.

“It will be every man for himself and the only order will be for them not to take each other off the track.

“Healthy competition between the two will help us move forwards.”

Man of Honour
OP
De Ferran backs 2006 Qualifying format

Honda Racing’s sporting director Gil de Ferran has spoken in support of the 2006 qualifying system.

The new format will see two 15-minute ‘knockout’ sessions in which the slowest 10 drivers will be eliminated, followed by a 20-minute session for the surviving contenders to battle for pole while carrying race fuel loads.

The format has come in for widespread criticism for being too complicated and a potential turn-off for casual viewers.

But de Ferran believes it will add excitement by building up to a climax and that it will also be a better barometer of raw pace than the system used last season.

“I think the new qualifying format will be hugely exciting,” de Ferran said at the Autosport International Show.

“I like the idea of elimination rounds, and the first two rounds of elimination will give you a good idea of who is fast and who is not.

“It will also indicate the levels of fuel everyone has for start of the race, so you can play a little bit more with strategy and might be able to have a few more options there in the race, which might be a little bit exciting.”

On the other hand, de Ferran is not a fan of the decision to restore tyre changing in races.

But overall he judged the 2006 rule changes to be “okay”.

Man of Honour
OP
Toyota Officially Launches '06 F1 Challenger

Toyota, the first team to unveil its challenger for the 2006 Formula 1 season last December, formally introduced its new TF106 car in a ceremony at the company's manufacturing facility in Valenciennes.

In fact, the team's work on the TF106 - to be raced by Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli this year - is so advanced that Toyota officials admit that the car that will be on the track for the season-opening Grand Prix of Bahrain in March will look substantially different from the machine unveiled today.

"We feel that the concept of holding a new car launch at the beginning of each year, just for the sake of it, is outdated," said technical director Mike Gascoyne. "We are updating more major elements on an increasingly frequent basis.

"Although this can be a difficult process to manage it does mean that we can ensure resources are being spent in areas that make the car go quicker, as and when it is required, and not simply on redesigning existing components just because we feel that we have to. Consequently, we have moved to a process of continuous evolution, hence the smooth transition from TF105 to TF105B and to the early completion of TF106."

Toyota even already has a date set for the introduction of a heavily revised version of its new car, dubbed the TF106B, which will debut on the seventh round of the season at Monaco - an example, according to company officials, of Toyota's "kaizen" philosophy of continuous improvement.

"Hopefully this [early introduction] will give us an advantage for this year," Trulli said. "We cannot say we will be the best, but for sure we will be very well prepared with the new car in terms of mileage and experience. We've tried to solve all the problems and get ready for the first race. Now we're doing very well, and it feels good, although there's still a lot of work to be done in the run-up to the first race and beyond. I am optimistic and confident."

Schumacher added: "Of course it is still very early, but the new car felt really good. Obviously, the [V8] power is lower but it is still a very driveable engine, with a nice torque curve. I am happy with the new Bridgestone tires as well, but we have a full program of pre-season testing and development to continue making improvements to our package. It is an intensive schedule with a lot of work to cover before the first race, but that is where we can benefit from having our car ready so early. We learned that last year and saw the gains. It helped us a lot in the first few races, and that's what we are aiming for again."

Man of Honour
OP
Technical Specifications: Toyota's TF106

Monocoque construction
Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb construction

Fuel tank
ATL safety cell

Front suspension
Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod. Pushrod activates rocker, torsion bar, damper and anti-roll bar assy

Rear suspension
Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre toelink and pushrod. Pushrod activates rocker, torsion bar, damper and anti-roll bar assy

Dampers
Penske

Wheels
BBS forged magnesium

Tyres
Bridgestone Potenza

Brakes callipers
Brembo

Brakes master cylinders
Brembo

Braking material
Hitco (carbon/carbon)

Steering
Toyota power-assisted steering

Steering wheel display
Toyota carbon fibre wheel with Toyota / Magneti Marelli instrument

Driver seat
Carbon fibre construction, moulded to driver's shape

Driver restraints
Takata

Driver HANS device
Toyota design

Electronic systems
Toyota / Magneti Marelli

Transmission
7-speed unit plus reverse Toyota-designed maincase with Toyota / Xtrac internals
Gear selection is sequential via driver-controlled electro-hydraulic actuation

Wheelbase
3090mm

Overall length
4530mm

Overall height
950mm

Overall width
1800mm

Overall weight
600kg including driver and camera

Man of Honour
OP
Toyota's Formula One V8 Engine Specifications

ToyotaV8.jpg

Designation RVX-06
Number of cylinders 8
Capacity 2398cc
Horsepower Approximately 740bhp
Revolutions Around 19,000rpm
Valve actuation Pneumatic
Throttle actuation Hydraulic
Spark Plugs DENSO
Fuel Esso
Lubricants Esso

Man of Honour
OP
Blank Look for New Ferrari

Ferrari's 2006 car will debut at Fiorano next Monday with a plain red livery, team boss Jean Todt explained on Friday.

The French principal was addressing the press at the traditional Ferrari winter event, in Italy's Dolomites hills.

Referring to the unusual plain livery, Todt said: ''So, something different in comparison to what we have done in the past.''

He added that Michael Schumacher would put the blank 'F2006' through its paces at Fiorano through the week, before it is launched at another circuit - Mugello - on January 24.

Todt also fended off speculation of a cash crisis at Maranello by hinting that 'some agreements' will be unveiled in the coming days.

Man of Honour
OP
Hill: Corporate ethos is ruining F1

Damon Hill believes that manufacturer control of Formula 1 and the associated corporate ethos are robbing the sport of much of its public appeal.

Speaking in an interview with F1 Racing magazine, the 1996 world champion said that he has lost interest in F1 to such a degree that he didn’t watch a single race last season.

“I couldn’t tell you what the new qualifying regulations are – and, to be honest, I don’t care,” Hill said.

“I honestly haven’t sat down and watched a grand prix for years.

“I don’t think I watched a single one in 2005. I just don’t even think about watching them, to be honest.”

Hill stressed that he has not lost his respect for F1 or its practitioners, but no longer regards it as a compelling activity.

“The emotional investment I once had in F1 has gone,” he said.

“What I am saying is that for a long time I aspired to Formula 1, but now I see it as an intriguing business but a frustrating sport.”

Hill explained his ennui by saying that “the essence of the sport has been diluted” by its corporate paymasters.

“The essence of the sport is man and machine: A team of guys build a car and take it to a racetrack and watch this naturally gifted individual do his stuff with what they’ve built.

“That’s the essence of F1.

“TV audiences are now slipping, but that’s what people did watch and would still watch.

“They want to see a hero and a car, but more than that, they want to know that he’s relishing and revelling in his own abilities.

“But now it’s portrayed as a job. You know, what’s the difference between a guy who drives a Renault F1 car and a guy who designs cup-holders for Renault?

“What I am saying is that when a company or companies are running the sport, then you have to ask yourself, ‘What are their true motives, and how do those motives satisfy us, the consumers, as human beings?’”

Hill added that whereas the tobacco companies which used to be F1’s staple sponsors were looking for “individuals who broke the mould”, the car manufacturers and blue-chip corporations that now pay the bills have very different image requirements.

“Mohammed Ali was, and is, the greatest sportsman the world has ever known – but, however brilliant he was, someone like Ali would be much too outspoken for modern F1,” Hill said.

“Inevitably, everything that commercialism touches will turn that way. It’ll simply become an endeavour to satisfy its controlling commercial interests.”

These commercial imperatives are at odds with the fans’ priorities, Hill reckons – and will eventually cause the public to shop elsewhere.

“Punters can choose. They can watch the Grand Prix Masters or A1 Grand Prix,” Hill said.

“If people don’t get what they want from F1, I’m afraid they’ll go somewhere else to get it.”

Man of Honour
OP
Brunner implicated in Toyota spy scandal

Ousted designer Gustav Brunner has been implicated in the notorious Toyota-Ferrari espionage scandal.

Two former Ferrari employees, also shown the door by Cologne based Toyota, will be tried in Italy this April after allegedly stealing aerodynamic information and software from Ferrari and using it in the TF103 and TF104 designs.

Austria's Brunner left Toyota in December last year because - a spokesman at the team explained at the time - his role had become 'obsolete'.

However, it is now claimed that the public prosecutor's office believes Brunner may have known about the espionage during the design phase of the F1 cars.

Man of Honour
OP
Bernie applauds Max's safety role

Bernie Ecclestone has paid tribute to the role played by FIA president Max Mosley in championing driver safety in Formula 1.

Delivering the Sid Watkins Safety Lecture (named after the legendary former FIA medical delegate), Ecclestone said huge strides had been taken in the 1990s thanks to Mosley’s pro-active stance.

“Max is very much behind safety, and before him the governing body didn’t care,” he said.

“I hope his work goes down to the grassroots participants as well.”

Ecclestone believes that a number of the sport’s biggest stars lost their lives needlessly in the past because the powers-that-be did not prioritise driver safety.

In particular, he claimed that the accidents which claimed the lives of Jochen Rindt (at Monza in 1970) and Ronnie Peterson (at the same circuit in 1978) would not have been fatal if satisfactory medical facilities had been in place.

“It was the lack of medical support in the old days that was a problem, particularly in Ronnie’s case,” Ecclestone said.

“It should not have happened and if it had happened today they would have been alive.”

Man of Honour
OP
F1 could shed races – Ecclestone

F1's lengthy Grand Prix calendar could shed one or two races in 2007 or beyond. That is the admission of Bernie Ecclestone.

“Nineteen is too many,” Ecclestone, 75, said after the Sid Watkins safety lecture in Birmingham. “We want 17 to 18 - trim one off.”

Ecclestone will reportedly leap to the rescue of the embattled Spa Francorchamps and Hockenheim races, but indicated that he was unlikely to do the same for the ever-condemned British Grand Prix.

Referring to Silverstone, Ecclestone said: “If they don't rebuild it and put it in line with the other third-world countries, there won't be a Silverstone.”

Also in doubt is the US Grand Prix, the F1 impresario contended. In the context of the expiring deal with Indianapolis, scene of the farcical race last June, Ecclestone said: “For 2007, the answer at the moment is let's see.”

Ecclestone also reckons another customary fixture of the F1 circus may be about to exit - Michael Schumacher.

He said he 'wouldn't be surprised' if the seven time world champion calls it quits at the end of the 2006 season. Bernie Ecclestone added: “He'll probably get a bit tired of chasing round the world.”

Man of Honour
OP
Schumacher debuts F2006

This morning Michael Schumacher drove the first laps in Ferrari's F2006 at Fiorano. At 9.24 the German drove out of the Fiorano pitbox, Ferrari's home track, with bits of snow here and there around the track.

Schumacher will be testing the 2006 car this week at Fiorano. The new car will be important for Ferrari's fight for the title after losing the title to Renault in 2005.

f2006-1.jpg

f2006-2.jpg

f2006-3.jpg

f2006-4.jpg

f2006-5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom