2005 Turkish Grand Prix

Man of Honour
OP
Briatore slams team orders 'slur'.

Renault boss, Flavio Briatore has dismissed suggestions that they employed team orders at the Turkish Grand Prix two weeks ago, despite the fact the team were clearly heard on the radio telling Giancarlo Fisichella he was slower than Fernando Alonso, who currently leads the championship.

Following that 'call', Fisi subsequently let Alonso by on the second lap, a move that drew criticism from McLaren test driver, Pedro de la Rosa, who said this was clearly a case of team orders and as such 'illegal'. Briatore though has now broken his silence on the matter.

"If others think they need to try and pressure us by saying that then it is a good sign, but it doesn't bother us," he insisted, when asked about the matter. "I am surprised nobody has asked why viewers heard those comments on live TV?

"The answer is that our team doesn't believe in unnecessary secrecy, and we have nothing to hide.

"Giancarlo is a team player [that is why he let Fernando by]. He had problems with his tyres in the first laps, and Fernando was faster - something we told Fisico over the radio. So when Fernando got alongside him, he didn't fight his team-mate. It is not about team orders, it is about working as a team."

Asked if he was worried about not winning any of the remaining races this season, Briatore added that that doesn't concern him as such.

"We have already shown we can do that this year, with both drivers," he stated. "Our sport is not about dominating at one moment or another, but about scoring points progressively through the season. As far as I know, the driver who wins the championship is still the man with the most points at the end, and nothing else."

Turning to the constructors' championship, he continued: "Things are much closer [in the battle for the manufacturers'] with only a nine point gap, but I am still confident. McLaren are the ones who need to take risks and attack all the time. Let's see how the next few races unfold."

Man of Honour
OP
And finally for today...this is one of the nicest bits of news I've heard for a long time...

http://www.f1i.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1060&Itemid=32 said:
Zanardi returns to top step

Alex Zanardi has defied the odds by returning to the very top step of a motor racing podium.

The Italian, who in 2001 nearly died in a Champ Car shunt that cost him both legs, won a World Touring Car race in Oschersleben.

It is his first triumph since 1998, the year before he tried to reignite his F1 career by driving for Frank Williams' team. Zanardi, now 38, races a hand controlled BMW 320i.

He led every lap of the Oschersleben race but only just pipped Andy Priaulx. And, in true Zanardi style, he did a series of victory 'donuts' after taking the chequer.

A serious racer. This man deserves no end of respect because of what he's done.

He was given a 20% chance of living at the scene of the accident - he normally would be lucky to be alive - but he's still racing...and now winning.

hail.gif
salute.gif
hail.gif
salute.gif
hail.gif

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Flibster said:
A serious racer. This man deserves no end of respect because of what he's done.

He was given a 20% chance of living at the scene of the accident - he normally would be lucky to be alive - but he's still racing...and now winning.

hail.gif
salute.gif
hail.gif
salute.gif
hail.gif

Simon/~Flibster
I saw an interview a while ago with the doctor that treated him, it is amazing he is still alive, let alone race a car and to win a race is just amazing.

I totally agree with you.

Man of Honour
OP
Oooh..Silly season in full swing now. :D

'Rossi pens Ferrari deal'

The Valentino Rossi-to-Ferrari story is more than mere speculation, if you believe the claims of an Italian newspaper.

La Repubblica said on Monday that the MotoGP champion was all set to switch to four wheels and race onto the grand prix grid alongside Kimi Räikkönen in the 2007 season.

The newspaper did not give a source but cited a staggering $33 million per year for the flamboyant 26 year old rider, who is already the highest paid sportsman in all of Italy.

He would race a Ferrari for an initial three year period, La Repubblica added. The deal would put into context Felipe Massa's unusual (for Ferrari) one year contract for 2006, speculation linking Michael Schumacher with a Ferrari split, and Rossi's alleged reluctance to ride with Ferrari cigarette sponsor Marlboro's rival - Gauloises - in the MotoGP series.

La Repubblica said Marlboro owner Altria had even asked Rossi to sever all ties with Gauloises - owned by Altadis - for the start of next season.

Ferrari boss Jean Todt, meanwhile - an open admirer of Räikkönen - leapt on gossip that a deal with the McLaren driver had also been struck.

'Just because a young driver has a lot of talent,' the Frenchman said, 'you cannot say he has signed with Ferrari.'

That last line fron Toad...how true...I mean - they've signed Massa.. ;) :p

Also - interestingly Rossi has done enough miles in a single seater now to apply for his Superlicense...

Plus Rossi and Raikkonen in the same team - 1 Finn and 1 Italian...who's going to be the no1 there?

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom